Are you concerned about the health of your car? Do you want to increase the mileage of your car? Or are you sick of your old conventional oil for lubrication? Well, it is needless to say if you are a car enthusiast that oil is an essential substance to keep your car’s engine alive and healthy. Therefore, you should pick the one which will make your vehicle glide on the road.
In the automobile market, when it comes to buying lubricant for your engine, there are two options available: Synthetic oil and Conventional oil. You should know that conventional oil is simply a crude oil or by-product of crude oil, while synthetic oil is a chemically modified petroleum product.
Apparently the buyers’ choice is more inclined towards synthetic oil after the breaking-in period of the car. In the automotive market, there are plenty of brands available, and many claim to be the best option. Do your research carefully and pick the one which suits your vehicle the most.
It is difficult to choose the right synthetic oil; that’s why we are here, to make it easier for you. Based on our research, we have selected top five synthetic oils, which will certainly prove to be a good choice for your car’s engine.
Have a look at the top five best picks of synthetic oil.
Top Picks for the Best Synthetic Oil
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Benefits of Synthetic Oil
In the introductory paragraph, we have mentioned that synthetic oil is often more preferred by most people. Why is this the case? Here are some of its most notable benefits, which will give you an idea on why it is the oil of choice for most people:
- Cheaper Cost: The economic benefit of synthetic oil is one of the reasons for its popularity. When it comes to standard oil, it needs to be changed after the vehicle has run for 3,000 miles. Synthetic oil, on the other hand, can last for up to 7,000 miles. The initial price may be high, but when you calculate its long-term costs, you will realize that synthetic is a more economical choice.
- Better for your Car: More than just its economic advantages, generally speaking, synthetic oil can be better for your car compared to conventional oil. For instance, it has been asserted that it can provide better lubrication which can result in maximizing the horsepower of your engine, improving your gas mileage, and extending the life of your engine. It can also assure reliable functioning of the engine even in a cold environment.
- Resistance to External Conditions: It is also worth noting that this kind of oil can resist a variety of external conditions. This includes oil sludge, thermal breakdown, and oxidation. Evaporative loss will also be decreased, which is perhaps one of the reasons why it can be long-lasting.
Is It Right For Your Car?
Given the benefits that have been mentioned above, many may be interested in switching from standard to synthetic oil. However, this is not a thing that you can just do anytime. Keep in mind that several factors should be taken into account first. If you use the wrong type of oil for your engine, its performance can be negatively affected.
For instance, if your car is new and is under the breaking-in period, synthetic oil is not recommended. This is because engine doesn’t wear off significantly during this period; the serious wear off begins later. Once the parts have been worn off, or after the breaking-in phase is complete, you can switch to synthetic oil.
If you have a high-mileage car, you have a good reason to stay away from synthetic oil. Instead, you will need a thin and free-flowing oil.
Synthetic oils are the best for cars that are integrated with high-performance engines. They will also do well in high operating temperatures and high compression. It is possible to switch from synthetic to conventional oil, but before doing so, you have to make sure that both of them will be good for your car. In fact, the two can even be mixed.
Tips in Buying Synthetic Oil
Before purchasing synthetic oil for your engine, here are a few things you should keep in mind, which will increase the likelihood of making the right choice:
- Consider the Needs of your Car: As we have earlier pointed out, one of the first things that you should do is to think about the needs of your car, specifically, your engine. Different types of cars (and engines) require different oils for proper function. Read the label from the oil’s container and see if it will be appropriate for your vehicle.
- Type of Synthetic Oil: It should also be noted that synthetic oil is a general term. It can be further broken down into two types. The first is synthetic blend oil, which simply means that it is a combination of synthetic stocks and conventional oil. On the other hand, there is a fully synthetic oil where a synthetic base stock is used, and it is combined with various additives that are known for being able to improve the performance of the oil.
- Go Beyond the Price: While it may be tempting to choose the cheapest synthetic oil, this is the one thing that you may end up regretting. Make sure not to make a decision based on the price alone. See to it that its quality is never compromised. You should not hesitate to spend more if the oil is going to be better for your car, especially in the long run; an excellent oil will actually save you money.
- Read Reviews: At the end of the day, if you are clueless about which one to pick, it would be best to read reviews or ask for the opinions of people you personally know. This is going to make it easier for you to weigh the pros and cons of the alternatives that are available. The insights and experiences of others will help you come up with the right choice.
Without a doubt, searching for the best synthetic oil is not going to be an easy task. Nonetheless, this does not mean that you can just choose any brand or pick the cheapest option that is available. Make sure that it is made by a trusted brand, given high rating by other users, and more importantly, appropriate for the engine of your car.
Stop guessing which one to choose! Keep an eye on the five options we have mentioned above, and we guarantee that you will not regret it.