A Guide to Choosing the Best Diesel Engine Oil
Cars cost a lot of money, and most people will do scheduled maintenance, ensuring years of good performance. This is one reason why there’s a huge market for engine oil in the automotive industry today.
Diesel engines need frequent maintenance and oil changes to ensure smooth working engines. Oil protects and can clean engine parts. It also ensures that your engine will run properly and efficiently, even under extreme temperatures. The best diesel engine oil will handle extreme temperatures well and coat engine parts effectively, reducing wear.
This article will discuss what diesel engine oil is, its importance, and essential factors to consider. We’ll also discuss some of the top picks for diesel engine oil on Amazon.com, so you can make your choice today if desired. By the time you’re done reading this review, we hope you will be more informed to make a good choice for you.
|Motul 007250 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Synthetic Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oil (Amazon Link)|
| Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil|
What is Diesel Engine Oil?
Diesel oil is the oil you use to lubricate your engine if you have a car or truck that runs on diesel fuel. It should not be used in gas engines, although some oils on the market say they are OK to use in either vehicle type.
When changing diesel engine oil, make sure to look at the oil cap. This will usually tell you which oil your car needs; otherwise, look at your owner’s manual. Diesel engines are designed differently than gasoline engines, so you should choose an oil that is specifically designed for your diesel engine.
The process of choice might come down to regular oil, synthetic blend, or full synthetic. Full synthetic is usually the best option for protecting your engine. It can handle higher temperatures and coat parts better than regular oil.
What’s the Difference Between Diesel and Gas Engine Oil?
|Diesel Engine Oil||Gas Engine Oil|
|Made from oil and additives – These additives can help deal with acidity and carbon.||Made from oil and additives – These additives can help deal with moisture and tar|
|Higher anti-wear load. It uses zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate for this purpose.||Lower anti-wear load. A gas engine’s catalytic converter can’t handle diesel oil|
|Higher viscosity generally||Lower viscosity generally|
|More cleaning additives used to deal with extra combustion by-products||Less cleaning additives needed|
Diesel engine oil is very similar to gasoline engine oil. Both have base oils that are formulated with a variety of additives to change particular oil properties. The difference between the two depends on the number of additives that are used.
Diesel engines absorb more carbon, while gasoline engines tend to absorb more moisture and tar. Diesel engine oils contain a higher amount of dispersants and more anti-wear additives. Also, diesel requires higher viscosity in the oil, unlike the gasoline engine, which produces more heat. In sum, diesel engine oils contain additives that help deal with the harsh conditions inside.
Top Picks for the Best Diesel Engine Oil
Having a difficult time choosing which diesel engine oil to buy? Below, we will discuss some of our top choices for the best diesel engine oil and what features they have. To help you evaluate better, we will also provide some of the pros and cons of each product.
1. Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil
This brand name is usually recognized as a quality brand, having been in the industry for a long time. In addition, the brand is one of the leading automotive and industrial lubricant manufacturers.
The Castrol EDGE Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-30 provides maximum wear protection for modern diesel engines. Because of the advances in engine technology, engines now have increased power and efficiency. Oils have also changed; this oil claims to work hard under these newer demands.
The product is guaranteed to maximize long-term as well as short-term engine performance. It is also designed to reduce deposits that allow optimum engine response. Another great feature is that it can sustain outstanding performance even when under pressure. The Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is proven to improve the efficiency of your engine, as well as deliver protection.
- Provides maximum protection for your car engine
- Offers Fluid Strength Technology
- Can sustain maximum performance while under pressure
- Guaranteed to improve your engine’s efficiency
- Lowers friction
- Decreased engine deposits
2. Motul 007250 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Synthetic Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oil
This brand is also one of the industry leaders when it comes to high-performance lubricants. Motul is a French lubricant manufacturer and is very well-known worldwide.
The Motul 007250 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is a diesel and petrol engine oil that is 100% synthetic. The product is particularly designed for more modern cars with high-displacement engines and catalytic converters. It would also work great for cars equipped with direct-injection turbo diesel.
A number of car makers recommend the Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 for multipurpose use. It is suitable for unleaded, leaded petrol, LPG, and diesel fuels.
- It will work great for high-displacement engines
- Proven to keep the engine running cooler
- Guaranteed to increase fuel efficiency
- 100% synthetic
- Suitable for diesel fuel, as well as leaded and unleaded petrol and LPG
3. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil
Shell Rotella is also a well-known brand when it comes to lubricants. The manufacturer has been around for 40 years and has produced heavy-duty engine oils that offer maximum protection and performance.
The Shell Rotella 550019921-3PK T6 5W-40 oil will provide excellent wear protection and cleanliness to your engine. This diesel oil is fully synthetic, meaning no crude oil was used.c It features maximum high and low-temperature protection and is formulated to be 34% better than previous versions. It is heavy-duty and multi-functional. It can continuously adapt to changing driving conditions.
- Proven to increase fuel efficiency
- Effective with regards to resisting breakdown due to heat
- Provides maximum wear protection and cleanliness
- It would work great for many vehicles using diesel engines.
- It can keep your engine running smoothly and quietly.
Advantages of a Diesel Engine
Having a diesel engine has a lot of advantages compared to having a gasoline engine. This section will discuss why it is more efficient and why people prefer diesel engines.
- Older models of diesel engines create a lot of noise and are very costly to maintain. However, modern ones are quiet, and they require less maintenance.
- Unlike gasoline engines, they are more reliable and rugged.
- You might notice that there are no spark plugs in your diesel engine. The reason for this is that hot compressed air is used instead. So wires and spark plugs aren’t needed, lowering some maintenance costs.
- Diesel engines are now widely used in most kinds of transportation, such as cars, trucks, and buses. They are also used in the aircraft industry. They are used for the combustion engines of some trains as well.
- Armored and military vehicles also use this type of engine because they are unlikely to catch on fire. This means that it is safer to have in some cases.
- Aside from cars, heavy equipment, tractors, and other industrial applications also use diesel engines.
- Diesel engines can provide higher miles per gallon. This is one reason it’s preferred for heavy-duty transportation and use in large machines. It also provides more pulling power at lower speeds, which is great for heavy loads.
- Though it may be more expensive than gasoline, diesel has a higher density, which means more energy can be extracted.
- Diesel is proven to be more efficient and cost-effective than gasoline. With proper maintenance, it can be a great vehicle to own with a long lifespan.
Factors to Consider when Choosing the Best Diesel Engine Oil
To decide effectively, you have to know what makes the best diesel engine oil. This section will discuss some of the factors you might want to consider when making your choice.
- Viscosity: Look at the viscosity grade shown on the label of the oil manufacturer. This is very important, as it will determine the starting temperatures of your engine. You have to pick the lubricant shown on your car’s oil cover or shown in the owner’s manual.
- Cost: The price of your diesel engine oil matters. You need to decide which oil fits your needs and budget. There are cheaper ones and ones that cost more. Research might help you decide if a certain type works well in your vehicle type. I would recommend synthetic oil because it performs the best. Sometimes your local store will have a lower cost vs. internet.
- Cleaning Capability: Cleanliness is an important factor to consider when changing oils. You have to make sure that you choose the diesel oil that works well with your engine.
- Compatibility: Not all engine oils are formulated or suitable for diesel engines. As discussed above, the gasoline engine also requires a different type of lubricant. You have to make sure that the diesel engine oil is compatible with your engine.
- Wear Protection: The diesel oil you pick should not cause damage to your engine. Instead, it should provide your engine with maximum wear protection.
- Versatility: Choosing a multifunctional diesel engine oil is a choice you might make. Then you can utilize it across a number of vehicle types.
- Efficiency: It is also a good idea to consider how the engine oil will help with fuel efficiency.
Now that we have reached the end of this article, we hope we have given you some helpful information. If you are having a hard time deciding, considering the above reviews may be helpful for you.
Reviewing the factors mentioned above will give you an idea of what can work best for you. Along with the product reviews, pros and cons, we hope we helped you decide which is the best diesel engine oil for you.
Do you want to learn more about other products review? Click here to learn more.