For beginners, a subwoofer should never be mistaken as one and the same as the traditional speaker. Yes, it is a type of speaker, but its function is different. It is meant specifically for the reproduction of low frequencies. Whether you like listening to intimate or heavy metal songs, an excellent subwoofer will do a lot in order to recreate exemplary audio. With this, there is no wonder why audiophiles or people with discerning preferences invest in the best 12-inch subwoofer.
In your search for the best subwoofer that can be fitted in your car, you will definitely be overwhelmed with too many options that will confront you. This, however, does not mean that you can just pick any product. At the end of the day, it is important to assume the part of a responsible buyer, which you can do by taking time to differentiate the possibilities that you will be confronted with.
Benefits of Having a Car Subwoofer
Here are some of the reasons why a subwoofer is a must in your car, which might just convince you to purchase one now and have it installed as soon as possible:
- Improve Audio Experience: This is the reason why most people incorporate a subwoofer in their car audio. A traditional car stereo comes with small components, and hence, they can deliver dismal audio quality. With this, the addition of a subwoofer can do a lot to create a better bass and other frequency tones.
- Prevent Distortion: If the bass range is reproduced by normal speakers in your car, they have the tendency to appear distorted. This is basically because the sound is too powerful, and your speakers are underperforming. This can be resolved through the use of a car subwoofer.
- Prolongs the Life of Speakers: A higher volume of bass can be good for sound quality, but it can negatively affect the speakers. It can speed up its wear and tear since they are not made to handle powerful sounds.
Top Picks for the Best 12-inch Subwoofer
Below, you’ll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer reviews on Amazon.
1. Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Subwoofer
Made by one of the most trusted names within the product category, this is definitely an option that stands out from many others within the competitive landscape. One thing to love about this model is the aluminum voice coil former. The latter is the one responsible for preventing the build-up of heat.
Another feature that makes it exceptional is the Vertical Attach Surround Technique or VAST Technology. This effectively maximizes the radiating area of the cone and at the same time, will provide you with the assurance that its installation will be a snap.
The Flex Bit Basket also adds up to its innovative features. This will provide users with flexibility as even when it is mounted, there are still slight adjustments that can be done in a snap to reposition the subwoofer as desired.
Lastly, it is also worth noting that it has impressive continuous power handling of 400 watts and peak of 800 watts. Such specification simply means that it is going to deliver exceptional power.
- Impressive power handling of 400 watts
- Excellent basket design
- Impressive heat dissipation
- The sensitivity rating is a bit low at 86 dB
- Deep frequency response is minimal at only 27 Hz
2. Pioneer Ts-w3003d4 Champion Series Pro Subwoofer
When you talk about car audio, Pioneer is a brand that rings a bell. It has gained reputation for the exceptional quality of their products and this 10-inch subwoofer is not an exemption. It has been lauded by many not only because of its power, but also because of its aesthetics, allowing it to add a hint of style in your car’s interiors.
The technical specifications of this model are pretty much impressive, which is exactly what you can expect from ths popular brand. It has a frequency response of 20 to 80 Hz, power handling of 100 to 600 watts, peak power of 1,200 watts, and sensitivity of 96 dB.
Users will also be able to enjoy the flexibility that it offers when it comes to its installation. Even in small enclosures, the subwoofer will be perfectly fitted. Users will also have the freedom to have it configured as desired.
Lastly, the dual spider design of this subwoofer has also captivated the attention of many, which basically optimizes its linearity. The thicker wire is also exceptional as it improves bass accuracy.
- Can be easily installed even for beginners
- Delivers powerful audio performance
- Glossy finish that makes it aesthetically pleasing
- Warranty is voided if purchased from third-party sellers
3. Kicker CompVR Series Car Subwoofer
The construction of this subwoofer is one thing that gives it an edge above many others within the competitive landscape. It comes with an injection-molded cone, which will make it last through the years, making it an excellent investment.
It is also pretty impressive when you take a look at its technical specifications, which are almost similar to what you can find from the models in the higher end of the market. It packs a lot of power at 800 watts of peak power handling. It has a frequency response that ranges from 25 to 500 Hz.
The quality of the audio that is produced by the subwoofer has also been given words of praise by many people. Its performance would make you think it is a model that is a premium brand.
- Simple and aggressive design
- Solid construction that makes it withstand the test of time
- A perfect model as an entry-level subwoofer
- Installation can be a bit tricky
4. Rockville W12K9D2 Subwoofer
Another speaker that really shows positive attributes is the Rockville K9 Series. You can get a lot without spending more. This is an option that should be on your list. It has everything that you want from a high-end speaker that is made specifically for audiophiles.
Flexibility in terms of installation and application will make it a choice that is worth being taken into consideration. More so, it also has reduced mounting depth compared to its predecessor, but it does not compromise the quality of the output.
The subwoofer comes with a big double-stacked 190oz magnet structure. This simply means the bass will be cleaner and louder while providing you with more control.
If you want speakers that work powerfully, these are for you. They have peak handling of 4000W and RMS handling of 1000W. These have ultra-stiff cones that can handle a lot of power, more that others on the market.
- Produces clean and crisp sound for an immersive audio experience
- Trusted even by discerning buyers
- Perfect for those who prefer insanely loud sound
- May have voice coil issues
- May have quality sound issues
5. Skar Audio EVL-12 D2 12″ 2500 Watt Max Power Dual 2 Ohm
This is another good option that you might want to take into consideration if you are searching for the best car subwoofer. Among other things, the competition grade internals is one thing that gives it an advantage.
The Dynamic Motor Analysis System that is integrated in this product has also been lauded by many. This is another exclusive technology and has the main purpose of making sure that the bass reproduced will be accurate and clean.
It has an exceptional construction, which is reflective of its durability. This is made possible by the use of a high-end polypropylene cone and rubber surround. It also has an elevated design, which does not only look good, but also helps to keep it cool.
Lastly, it won’t disappoint when it comes to its technical specifications. It has a power handling of 500 watts and impedance of single 4 ohms.
- Delivers accurate, powerful bass
- Comes with high-temperature voice coils
- Built to last
Types of Car Subwoofers
Before you start your search for the best 12-inch car subwoofer, one of the first things that you should do is to decide what type it is that you need. Generally speaking, the following are the options that you will be confronted with.
- Enclosed Subs: This is the perfect choice if you know nothing about subs. They are already pre-mounted, making the installation a breeze to accomplish. This will also be ideal if you have minimal space inside your car.
- Powered Subs: This is a compact product that already combines the amp and the speaker in a single enclosure. It is also perfect for compact cars, but it does not tend to produce bass well.
- Component Subs: In this case, you get to have the speaker only. The amplifier and the enclosure will be purchased separately, providing you with the freedom to choose. This is the best choice if you want your car audio to be highly customized.
Essential Factors To Consider
If you are on the lookout for the best 12-inch subwoofer, here are some of the most important factors that should be taken into account, which will increase the likelihood of making the right choice.
- Budget: The first thing that you have to do is to set a budget in mind. This will help you to narrow down the possibilities. Stick with how much you can realistically spend. Take note, however, that if you choose to buy a cheap subwoofer, the quality can also be compromised. Some of the best models can be expensive, especially those that are filled with advanced features and specifications.
- Power: This is one of the most important technical specifications that should affect the choice that you will be making. If it can handle more power, it is tantamount into being able to produce more bass. This, however, would also mean that the subwoofer is going to be more expensive.
- Sensitivity: This is another technical specification that will be worth considering. Generally speaking, this is going to be a measurement of the efficiency of the subwoofer. To be more technical, this refers to the capacity of the speaker to convert power into volume. The higher the number is, the better. This means that lesser power is required in the absence of compromising performance.
- Voice Coils: For most car owners and audio enthusiasts, the more popular option are the subwoofers with dual voice coils. They prefer the latter because they are more flexible and can be integrated with different wiring systems.
- Installation: With the time and effort to spare, you can install the car subwoofer on your own. See to it that the manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions on how this can be done. Make sure that all of the required components are present. Otherwise, you can always rely on the expertise of a mechanic in your neighborhood. This is actually better to provide you with the assurance that your subwoofer will function as expected.
- Reviews: Still clueless about which one to choose? The best thing that you can do is to read the reviews that have been shared by other users. Their insights and experiences will make it easier for you to weigh the pros and cons of the different models that you will be confronted with, making it a snap for you to decide which to choose for the best 12-inch subwoofer.
By now, we hope that it is easier for you to decide what to choose for the best 12-inch car subwoofer. Go back to the models that we have recommended above or consider the factors that we have mentioned. At all times, do not decide on the basis of price alone. Even with a size of 10 inches, subwoofers can deliver exceptional power, but only if you make the right choice. Be responsible enough to differentiate the choices and in the end, you will be able to make a choice that you won’t regret.