For beginners, a subwoofer should never be mistaken as one and the same with the traditional speaker. Yes, it is a type of speaker, but its function is different. It is meant specifically for the reproduction of low frequencies. Whether you like listening to intimate or heavy metal songs, an excellent subwoofer will do a lot in order to recreate exemplary audio. With this, there is no wonder why audiophiles or people with discerning preferences invest in the best 12-inch subwoofer.
In your search for the best subwoofer that can be fitted in your car, you will definitely be overwhelmed with too many options that will confront you. This, however, does not mean that you can just pick any product. At the end of the day, it is important to assume the part of a responsible buyer, which you can do by taking time to differentiate the possibilities that you will be confronted with.
Benefits of Having a Car Subwoofer
Here are some of the reasons why a subwoofer is a must in your car, which might just convince you to purchase one now and have it installed as soon as possible:
- Improve Audio Experience: This is the reason why most people incorporate a subwoofer in their car audio. A traditional car stereo comes with small components, and hence, they can deliver dismal audio quality. With this, the addition of a subwoofer can do a lot to create a better bass and other frequency tones.
- Prevent Distortion: If the bass range is reproduced by normal speakers in your car, they have the tendency to appear distorted. This is basically because the sound is too powerful and your speakers are under performing. This can be resolved through the use of a car subwoofer.
- Prolongs the Life of Speakers: Higher volume of bass can be good for sound quality, but it can negatively affect the speakers. It can speed up its wear and tear since they are not made to handle powerful sounds.
Top Picks for the Best 12-inch Subwoofer
Our Quality Rating
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Types of Car Subwoofer
Before you start your search for the best 12-inch car subwoofer, one of the first things that you should do is to decide what type it is that you need. Generally speaking, the following are the options that you will be confronted with.
- Enclosed Subs: This is the perfect choice if you know nothing about subs. They are already pre-mounted, making the installation a breeze to accomplish. This will also be ideal if you have minimal space inside your car.
- Powered Subs: This is a compact product that already combines the amp and the speaker in a single enclosure. It is also perfect for compact cars, but it does not tend to produce bass well.
- Component Subs: In this case, you get to have the speaker only. The amplifier and the enclosure will be purchased separately, providing you with the freedom to choose. This is the best choice if you want your car audio to be highly customized.
Essential Factors To Consider
If you are on the lookout for the best 12-inch subwoofer, here are some of the most important factors that should be taken into account, which will increase the likelihood of making the right choice.
- Budget: The first thing that you have to do is to set a budget in mind. This will help you to narrow down the possibilities. Stick with how much you can realistically spend. Take note, however, that if you choose to buy a cheap subwoofer, the quality can also be compromised. Some of the best models can be expensive, especially those that are filled with advanced features and specifications.
- Power: This is one of the most important technical specifications that should affect the choice that you will be making. If it can handle more power, it is tantamount into being able to produce more bass. This, however, would also mean that the subwoofer is going to be more expensive.
- Sensitivity: This is another technical specification that will be worth considering. Generally speaking, this is going to be a measurement of the efficiency of the subwoofer. To be more technical, this refers to the capacity of the speaker to convert power into volume. The higher the number is, the better. This means that lesser power is required in the absence of compromising performance.
- Voice Coils: For most car owners and audio enthusiasts, the more popular option are the subwoofers with dual voice coils. They prefer the latter because they are more flexible and can be integrated with different wiring systems.
- Installation: With the time and effort to spare, you can install the car subwoofer on your own. See to it that the manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions on how this can be done. Make sure that all of the required components are present. Otherwise, you can always rely on the expertise of a mechanic in your neighborhood. This is actually better to provide you with the assurance that your subwoofer will function as expected.
- Reviews: Still clueless about which one to choose? The best thing that you can do is to read the reviews that have been shared by other users. Their insights and experiences will make it easier for you to weigh the pros and cons of the different models that you will be confronted with, making it a snap for you to decide which to choose for the best 12-inch subwoofer.
By now, we hope that it is easier for you to decide what to choose for the best 12-inch car subwoofer. Go back to the models that we have recommended above or consider the factors that we have mentioned. At all times, do not decide on the basis of price alone. Even with a size of 10 inches, subwoofers can deliver exceptional power, but only if you make the right choice. Be responsible enough to differentiate the choices and in the end, you will be able to make a choice that you won’t regret.