Light bulbs are among the most important parts of your car. They are not only an accessory that adds aesthetic value to your vehicle, but they are also essential when it comes to your safety. With this in mind, it is important to make sure that your headlights are the right kind for your needs.
The best H11 bulb may come down to preference and performance. Here are some characteristic of some of the best selling headlight bulbs.
Lumens per pair
Watts per pair
(Credit - bulbfacts.com - some chart information)
To help you make a choice, in the rest of this post we will be taking a quick look at some of the best options for the best H11 bulb.
We will also discuss some of the factors that may have an impact on your decision, and more importantly, we will have a look at five of the best models that are available now.
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
What Is An H11 Bulb?
What is an H11 bulb? The H11 type bulb is used as a regular headlight for you cars. Some headlights are dual beam, but H11 bulbs are single beam lights. That mean you need two bulbs per headlight.
This makes it work well for replacing the the high beams, low beams, or fog lights. They come in both halogen and LED bulbs. You car owners manual will let you know what type of bulb to use, or you can look at the bulb your replacing to make sure you have the correct number.
You'll also notice that there are different types of bulbs. The halogen is cheaper, more fragile, wont last as long, and may not be as bright. The LED light may be higher priced, is energy efficient, usually brighter, and lasts longer.
And don't forget about color. Some lights look sort of orange, others white, and higher kelvin (K) lights look bluish.
Looking at photos of cars that have the bulb you want can help you decide if it the kind that will work for you. Blue headlights may not be legal in your area, since they tend to be too bright.
Headlight Bulbs Brightness Changes With Housing
All headlight bulbs are brighter when the high beams are on. The problem comes when on coming traffic is blinded by high beams. In order to get the best performance from your lights, the headlight beam pattern, housing, and lumens should be taken into consideration.
- Almost always, the more lumen or lux a bulb has in a housing the better it performs.
- Be careful with any bulb over 6500K in color. It may be too bright to be safe.
- LED bulbs are usually brighter in regular reflective headlight housing versus a projector housing.
- Many LED headlights will perform very well in fog light housing and may perform better than in headlight housing.
- Halogen bulbs tend to have smooth coverage over a road's surface when in regular reflective housing.
- Some LED bulbs show a bit less smoothness than halogen bulbs in regular reflective housing and may have a dark patch here or there. Although, this is usually made up by an LED's brightness and if it has a good design.
Top Picks for the Best H11 Bulbs
Having a hard time choosing which bulb to buy? In this section, we will discuss five of the best options you might want to consider, and their features. To help you decide, we will also have a list of some of the pros and cons for each light.
Types of Headlight Bulbs
When looking for the light bulb that can be used for your headlights or fog lights, it is important to be aware of the different options that are available, as well as their pros and cons. Below are three of the types of H11 bulbs:
- Halogen: Since it has been launched in the 1960s, it became one of the most popular choices when it comes to H11 light bulbs. They are cheap and simple to install, with some being able to offer a lifespan of up to 1,000 hours.
- -However, one of the problems with this type is that while it creates bright light, it can also generate heat. It can also be contaminated by various substances and is quite fragile, making it important to handle with care.
- HID: The efficiency that is produced by this type of bulb is commendable. It is made from gases and rare metals. They can last more than 2,000 hours and while they can produce exceptional brightness, the power consumption is minimal, usually only 35 watts.
- -However, it has the potential to create a bright glare, which makes it a potential disturbance in traffic. It is also expensive and complex.
- LED: This is an excellent choice among designers because of its size. With its thinness, it can be easily shaped in different forms. Its brightness may not be comparable to HID, but within only a few seconds, it will be able to achieve its optimal brightness. Its biggest benefit is its energy-efficiency.
- -In fact, many houses today, and TVs use LED lighting because of its minimal power consumption. Its price is close to that of halogen light, so most people are choosing these lights as a brighter, longer lasting solution.
Factors to Consider When Buying H11 Bulbs
When choosing the best H11 bulb, the following are some of the most important things that should be taken into consideration:
- Compatibility: One of the first things that you should do is make sure it is compatible with your car. Not all light bulbs will be compatible with your headlight system. Double check your owner manual and read any review about how they fit in your car model.
- Ease of Installation: The good news is that H11 bulbs can be installed on your own. You do not need help from a mechanic, nor do you need to be a pro.
- -You just have to make sure that it is easy enough to install. The manufacturer may be able to provide instructions on their website or packaging, allowing you to complete the job easily. In addition, make sure that you do not hold the glass part of the bulb, as this can break.
- Lifespan: Make sure to choose a bulb that is going to be long-lasting. More often than not, the manufacturer will state the lifespan of their H11 bulbs based on the number of hours.
- -Although many LED bulbs claim to have a long life, the heat produced by these bulbs can shorten their life considerably. Yet, they will usually last twice as long as halogens lights, if they are built well.
- Brightness: The main purpose of H11 bulbs is to provide the illumination that you need on the road. It is important to make sure that it is bright enough so that it can function as expected.
- -Nonetheless, there are some that can be too bright, which can blind other drivers. Pick one that is street-legal. These are usually less than 100 meter beam length and yellow or white in color, not blue.
- Feedback: To help you decide on which one should be chosen, it would be best to gather feedback from other people. Most reviews can tell you the specific information that will help. Getting an expert review is often helpful as well. I like bulbfacts.com for their reviews and recommendations.
Your search for the best H11 bulb will never be an easy undertaking. With the abundance of the options that are available, picking the right one can be challenging, especially as each manufacturer will claim that they have the best. To make things easier, limit your choices to the brands and models that we have mentioned above.