Advanced parking guidance system is commonly known as Intelligent parking assist system. Intelligent parking assist system was used in the Lexus models of the US. It is the automated system for parking that is developed by the Toyota Motor Corporation in the year 1999. It was initially used in Lexus Models and Hybrid Prius for the Japanese market. This technology provides assistance to the drivers to park their vehicle efficiently without causing any damage.
Intelligent Parking Assist System – The History
The vehicles that are equipped with intelligent parking assist system has a touch screen on their dashboard with button controls. With the help of Intelligent parking assist system, the car can drive automatically to get parked in the available space with just a minimal precision from the driver side.
- The first type of the intelligent parking assist system was included in the Hybrid model of Prius that was meant for Japan market in 2003.
- The second new version of the intelligent parking assist system comes into limelight out of the Japan. It was featured in a luxury edition of Lexus LS. It featured this advanced parking technology with other various new inventions by Toyota.
- The versions that we see today in our cars rolled out in 2009 which was included in Prius Model made for the United States.
- This technology in Europe and Asia is renowned as Intelligent parking assist system in Lexus and Toyota models. Whereas, In the US it is known by “Advanced parking guidance system” included in the Lexus models only.
Development of the Intelligent Parking Assist system or Advanced parking guidance system
- Initially, this Intelligent parking assist system was developed park the car in reverse or parallel parking.
- In the initial stages, this system doesn’t require the driver intervention as it estimates the size available for the parking and thus parking the vehicle appropriately and smartly.
- This became possible because of a computer system installed inside the car which estimates the space using cameras that were present in front and rear side of the cameras.
- A sensor that was placed nearby the cameras counts the proximity of other close vehicles around and provides the system with exact space.
- The screen installed on the dashboard showed the details of the available space and then the driver has to mark the exact position of the car using the arrows available on the touch screen.
- With the help of the arrow keys, the driver decides the exact location to park the vehicles and the initiate the command using the button available on the screen.
- After that, the computer takes over the steering and park the vehicle smartly in the drivers allocated space.
- The early version of this Intelligent parking system had a lot of glitches in the system.
- The system faced a difficulty in detecting the objects like cats, baby pram or pedestrians.
- The other glitch was that if this system was used in a smaller space of parking, the screens keeps on flashing the warning signals constantly stating that the car can hit other parked cars.
In such circumstances, the driver assistance was required by the computer. Late on an upgraded intelligent parking assistance system came into light in 2005 which included recognition capability of parking stripes. With the passing years technology evolved further, and now the intelligent parking assistance system has parking sensors.
This version can calculate the exact details to parking the vehicle parallel or reverse. It also helps the driver to determine the space in that particular parking lot by displaying coloured strips on the screen which gives the indication of obstacles and proximity around.
How Does the Intelligent Parking Assistance System Work?
Technology used in building Intelligent parking assistance system includes:
- The intelligent parking assist system or advanced parking guidance system uses computer processors.
- These computer processors are attached to the vehicle warning system known as SONAR system, the backup cameras, and sensors.
- These Sonar sensors for parking include various sensors that are fixed on the front and back bumpers.
- These sensors are attached to detect the obstacles and rise warning when so ever an obstacle is detected nearby.
- These also help the computer to steer the vehicle at perfect angles required to park the vehicles.
- These sensors are further attached to two other sensors that work with the central processing chip, which again is attached to a backup imaging systems that display the information about parking to the driver.
- The sonar sensors used in intelligent parking assistance system helps the computer for calculating the parking angle data that can be seen on the touch screen on the dashboard along with the obstacles nearby.
- The IPAS gets activated when we put our car to reverse mode.
- The sensors and camera that are present on the rear side, itself get activated automatically.
- In Reverse mode, the driver can use the auto parking buttons present on the screen to automatically park the vehicle.
When the automatic parking assistance system gets activated, the computer processor starts calculating the angles of operations to park the car in a reverse position or parallel and then integrates with the steering system of the car thus enabling it to park efficiently by itself.
Intelligent Parking Assist Systems – The Functions
More up to date variants of the intelligent parking assistance system permit the car for reverse or parallel parking. When the drivers are parking parallel with the help of the system, the driver first needs to pull the car nearby to the parking stripes. Then the car move forwards until its back bumper crosses the back wheels of the vehicle that is parked before in the open parking lot.
When you put the vehicle in reverse, it will activate the intelligent parking assistance system. With the help of a camera, the driver can look the rear view at the display console on the dashboard. On the display, screen driver can see the grid usually marked with green, yellow and red lines that tell the proximity of the other obstacles.
Although everything is automatic, still the driver needs to check if the proximity box on the touch screen is displayed properly according to the parking.
- If there is a lot of parking space available, then the box will appear green in colour.
- If the box is incorrectly placed then, it will show the red colour.
- The driver needs to place the box correctly to turn the box green.
Once everything seems to be perfect, and the space for parking is identified, the driver can press ok button and takes their hands off from the controlling wheel. Once the driver removes its feet from the brakes, the car starts to accelerate and will park the vehicle in parking space.
The automatic parking assistance system completely works as you are parking your car. It works on the precision through the computer system. Most of the times when we are parking the car by own we neglect many obstacles that come our way. But with the help of intelligent parking assistance system, these obstacles can be easily marked within the sensors. Now there is no need to worry about your parking tensions as this new advanced technology will be there to help you park very easily and conveniently.
We hope that with the help of this blog you would be able to understand the parking assistance system in an efficient manner.