A staple in many private cars of today, dash cams have also found their way in trucks, serving the same purpose as with other vehicles. This is one thing that can provide peace of mind as it records everything that happens while on the road. The footages will come handy in cases of accident reports.
What is the best dash cam for truckers? Many manufacturers will market their products aggressively, claiming that it is the best. Do not immediately believe what they are saying. In the rest of this guide, we’ll share with you some of the most important things you need to know, including the top products that are currently available in the market.
What is a Dash Cam?
There is perhaps no simpler way to explain what it is than to understand what is in a name. It is a camera that is placed on the dashboard or windshield of a vehicle. It is a special type of portable camera that can provide continuous recording while the vehicle is in motion. It has been popular since the past because of capturing unusual videos that have gone viral in social media.
There are many reasons why investing in a dash cam is a good idea. Among others, it is for the purpose of having documentary evidence in case of a collision or accident. Since every second is taped, it will make it easy to determine who is the culprit. It can be admissible evidence in court, which makes it a critical equipment to have for truckers.
In addition, you can also use the footage for insurance claims. You can show this to the insurer and will make it easier to determine who has the liability.
Depending on which brand or model is chosen, it can serve other purposes. For instance, you can also use it for navigation as some high-end products have built-in GPS feature. If there is a rear-view camera, on the other hand, it can be helpful in assisting when it comes to parking.
Top Picks for the Best Dash Cam for Truckers
Clueless about which dash cam can provide the best bang for the buck? In this section, we will have a quick rundown of some of the top picks, including their most notable features.
Types of Dash Cam for Truckers
What dash cam is best for your needs? If in case you are wondering, the following are the most common types, which will make it easier for you to evaluate the possibilities:
- Front-facing Dash Camera: This is the most common type of dash cam, not just for trucks, but for other vehicles as well. The lens is installed in the front, which will record anything that happens in front of the driver.
- Rear View Camera: Obviously, the lens of this camera is attached at the back. Aside from recording accidents, it can also be helpful when assisting the truck drivers in parking.
- Interior View Camera: This is not as common as the types of the cameras that have been mentioned above. Rather than focusing on the road, its focus is the interior of the truck. This will record what the driver is doing the entire duration of the trip.
Essential Factors to Consider
As you try to narrow down the possibilities, the following are some of the most important things that should be taken into consideration:
- Screen: Most of the screens are two to three inches. It will be good if it has high definition display, although it is not really necessary. It is important that the screen stays clear, even when in bright conditions.
- Lens: It is important to have high-quality lens so that you can easily see the recordings, such as the license plate of the car in front of the trucker. It will also be good if there is a wide field of view, which means that it will record at a wider angle.
- Ease of Use: You should choose a dash cam for truck that is user-friendly. From the assembly to its actual use, it must be designed with your needs in mind. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions. Also, everything that is needed for mounting must be included. The controls also need to be strategically-positioned so that they will be easy to access.
- Memory: Because of the continuous recording capability of the dash cam, it is important that it also has a huge memory. Pay attention to the capacity of the memory card as it will determine how many hours of recording it can hold.
- Accident Detection: This feature is important because it automatically detects accidents. The sensor enables automatic saving of the clip. With this, the critical recording will not be overwritten and can be easily accessed.
- Night Vision: Choose a dash cam that has the ability to record clear videos, even at night or low-light conditions. See to it that even in the dark, the camera will be able to capture clear videos.
- File Compression: As much as possible, choose a dash cam that features H.264 compression technology. This will allow the unit to automatically compress file so that it can save more in the memory card.
- Durability: When choosing a dash cam for truckers, it is important to consider how durable it is. From the material to the overall construction, it must withstand the test of time. You can read reviews from past users to determine how durable it is.
- Warranty: You should consider this if you want to have peace of mind. Under the warranty coverage, the manufacturer can offer free repair or even replacement if in case the product proves to be defective in any way.
In this post, we have discussed some of the best dash cams for truckers. It is an important device as it will provide video recordings that you can use in case of an accident. They may be tiny, but they can deliver a wealth of benefits. These advantages, however, will be apparent only if you opt for the right product.
Is there any other product that you need for your trucker? Click here and discover what you might need.