Bed liner is an important component of your car. But, most often, you may be overlooking this aspect. As a result, the painting job may get scratches. The bed liner provides a protective coating on the bed. Therefore, you have many things to know about spray-on bedliner.
The first thing you should know is that there are two types of bedliner; Spray-on and Drop-in. The drop-in bedliner has the advantage that it can be replaced easily and can be customized for your need. Moreover, it can be installed easily. But the negative point about it is that if it is a plastic one, it can trap water on the shape between the liner and the liner can cause rusting and corrosion.
Things to Consider before Buying Spray-On Bedliner
Considering the above facts, you may consider to have the spray-on bedliner and get the following benefits.
- Durability: Besides durability, it is corrosion resistant.
- Noise Resistant: It reduces the traveling noise.
- Watertight: It protects trapping of water and rusting.
- Resale Value: By maintaining the condition of your car, it can fetch good value on resale.
- Versatility: It can protect rocker panels and fender wells and can replace the interior floor mats
As the name suggests, the bedliner is a liquid which is sprayed over the surface of your car. It is made from polyurethane which is also used to make sealants. The following are the three main types of Spray-on bedliners; Hot or high pressure, cold or low pressure and Do It Yourself (DIY).
Hot pressure refers to the temperature of the product. The warmer products have shorter curing time, and the older ones take longer time for curing fully. The spray-on beginners are made from 100% polyurethane, or 100% polyurea or a hybrid of the both. The one made from 100% polyurea provides better performance due to higher tensile strength, tear strength and hardness.
Essential Factors for Consideration
To make the best bedliner, you should consider the following factors.
- Reviews: You should go through the reviews shared by the actual users. They will mention about both the pros and cons of the bedliners. This will enable you to compare the functionalities of different products. In particular, you should focus on the quality of the bedliner and any serious flaws. You can then have an idea of what you can expect from the product.
- Ease of Use: There are many bedliners which you can do it yourself (DIY) if you know certain basic steps. A user-friendly product is of great assistance to you. It comes with the necessary tools that you require. An added advantage will be if the manufacturer provides detailed instruction and guidelines for doing it yourself. You can then get the desired result.
- Durability: Durability implies that the bedliner stays on the surface of your car for a longer period. Even if it is constantly exposed to sun and rain, it is not easily cracked or peeled. It should also resist dust and steam.
- Color Compatibility: Before choosing the color shade, you should match the color of your car. Avoid over-application as otherwise, the color may become darker than its actual shade. You should be meticulous in selecting the color.
- Quantity: Depending upon the size and area to be covered, you should determine the exact quantity of bedliner to be obtained. More than actual requirement will be a waste of money.
- Inclusion: You need to consider the inclusion of everything that is required such as an applicator or a gritting paper.
The best spray-on bedliner will be an essential investment for you. You may pick up the best spray on bedliner from any of the five bedliner available in the market.
1. Hercliner HCL1 Brush Kit
With this spray-on bedliner, you get everything that you require for coatings, such as brush, rollers and applicator brush. You can do it yourself easily without needing to have any technical knowledge.
You can use it for other applications. It creates a skid-free surface and won’t fade even after many years of use. There will be no cracks and dents. It can resist gasoline and external elements. The con is; it can’t resist the UV rays of the sun.
2. U-Pol Tintable
It is comparatively expensive and provides excellent value for your money. It comes with the tools and a lightweight spray gun. The coating is tintable, and you can customize the color; light or dark. The coating lasts for a long time and is UV-resistant.
Stain, corrosion, and mechanical damage. Rust and temperature can’t affect the surface. It minimizes noise and vibration and dries quickly. Little higher cost is its only con.
3. Liner Xtreme Spray-on Bedliner
It comes with all the tools and materials required for the job and an applicator gun. The manual containing the guidelines will make your job much easier. It includes three gallons of the kit of spray-on bedliner and two cans of reducer.
Because of its toughness, it can resist external elements and remains in tip-top conditions for a long time. It comes with a free spray gun.
4. Al’s Liner ALS-BL Polyurethane Liner Kit
It is simple and can be used for multi-purpose. You can add more tints till you achieve the required shade of color. It is long lasting. You can apply a thick coating for providing the required protection. It does chip even under rough and tough conditions. You can control the color of your finished job.
5. T-Rex Black Bed Liner
If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, you will find this product more economical. The quality of the product is not inferior. Besides protecting the bed of your car, it can deaden sound and vibration.
It is made from 2K urethane and provides impressive adhesive properties. Before applying on the surface, make it free from dust, oil, and dirt that make the bedliner cling strongly.
The spray-on bedliner prevents scratches, rusting and corrosion. It is therefore pertinent that you should put every possible effort to make the right choice of bedliner.