Car ramps are a simple alternative to jack stands if you use them correctly. I like ramps when working under the car or the front end even on slanted areas, whereas jack stands are fine for flat ground. I use them both depending on the task I need to perform. I had a car fall on me before while working on it, so safety first is very important.
Ramps allow you to get under your car quickly and safely; they are faster and easier to operate than a jack. Always use ramps that support your car’s weight, keep the handbrake on and the car in drive, and then chock the wheels.
When using ramps, we always recommend the help of someone to confirm that the automobile is moving up the ramp correctly and that everything is stable. With proper precautions and safety procedures, you can easily use the car ramp. We have a step-by-step guide to help you with tips for a safe experience with your ramps.
Are Car Ramps Safe To Use?
Car ramps should provide a very safe means of working underneath your vehicle if you follow all of the required precautions when using them. The ramp must be large enough to support the entire width of the tires so it does not fall off the ramp. It’s also a good idea to double-check that the ramps you have been certified to support the car.
If you have any doubts, see a car service professional before using them.
The Safety Tools You Need To Work On Your Cars:
To help our readers we have put together a list of commonly used tools to work on your car. Here are some tools you might need:
- Car ramps: you need proper car ramps as a whole the safety of you and your car depends on it. We will discuss the part about choosing the best car ramps in the next section.
- Wheel clocks: you will need at least two wheel clocks whenever you put your car on the ramp. Chokes are an option if the area is slippery, soft rubber chokes are good.
- Safety gloves: always ensure that you have your safety equipment on you at all times. Never compromise on your safety in automotive gloves. Cover your hands with gloves to prevent bruising or skin tear.
How To Choose The Best Car Ramps?
When looking for the best car ramp, there are a few things to consider to ensure that you get the best ramp the first time.
Maximum rated load – This rating refers to the maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) which can be driven on the ramp. The higher the number, the safer you will be. The rating is generally in a number that shows the weight load a pair of ramps can handle.
For example- if the rating is 7500lbs then it means that two ramps can carry that much weight load of the front part of the vehicle. So read the owner’s manual to get an estimate of your car’s weight and then purchase the ramps accordingly.
Check the manufacturing country –All countries now manufacture ramps; all you have to do is choose ramps made in the United States or the European Union if you have a choice. They have relatively higher quality standards and control, so this will ensure maximum security for you.
Checks for a rubber stop – All ramps have a rubber stop embedded in the front to ensure that the ramp doesn’t slip away when you drive a car on it. A rubber stop is necessary especially if you have a smooth floor.
The type of clearance ramps – There are two types of ramps: one is the standard one, and the other is a low clearance ramp specially designed for cars that are low to the ground like a sports car. These ramps have a gradual incline so that it is easy for a car to drive up without scraping its undercarriage. They are very highly-priced so buy them only if you think your car needs them.
Check the ramps thoroughly – There are many faulty products out there so before using the ramp, you need to be sure that it isn’t damaged in any way. Check for cracks, rust, or any other signs of damage.
Always consider customer feedback – These are the people who will present you with their honest opinion about the product with their experience. Don’t believe every feedback but do consider the valuable ones.
While we may purchase the fanciest and best car covers and seat covers in the beginning, after some time, we come to the harsh reality and resort to DIY automotive care due to the hefty garage bills.
How Much Do Car Ramps Cost?
Basic car ramps aren’t too expensive, although the price will depend on how high and how much weight the ramps are rated to support. A set of ramps should last for years, so consider them as an investment.
We would also recommend purchasing a set of wheel chocks along with any ramps because they are not only cheap but also quite useful in terms of safety and security.
The average cost of cars ramps is about $50, yet ramps with steel construction can cost about $200 or more.
How To Safely Raise A Car Using Ramps?
Here’s the step-by-step procedure on how to use ramps effectively:
Step 1 – Place the ramps in front of the front tires and slide them down.
- The step and the foremost step are to place the ramps in front of your car’s tires. Do it carefully and place the lower slope exactly in the center of the tire to create a balance. Turn the wheels straight facing the ramp and place the other ramp in the same manner.
Step 2 – Drive straight up the center of the ramp.
- Now the second and the most important step are to drive the car to the ramp. After you drive it, ensure that the wheels are in the center of the ramp. There is a small bump located at the end of the ramp to tell you when to stop and not drive over it.
- If the ramps slip when you drive over it, then it means that you are driving at a slow speed. Speed up a little so that you can drive on it properly but be cautious in this. Stop immediately when you feel that the car has reached the small bump and it doesn’t jump over it.
Step 3 – Put the parking brake on.
- After driving on the ramp successfully, pull the parking brake to ensure that the car doesn’t move in the downwards direction. You can pull it halfway and then ensure that the car is stable by rocking it from the outside. If you feel it is sturdy then pull the parking brake full way.
Step 4 – Wrap a back wheel in two-wheel chocks.
- The last step includes putting the wheel clocks near the tire. Place one of the wheel clocks towards the front of the rear wheel and the other one behind it. This is a security measure to ensure that under no circumstances does the car move from its place.
- If you want to take an extra precaution, then you can use car jacks as well. Once you have ensured that the car is stable, and then you can go underneath the car and do your work.
Step 5 – Things to remember
- While working under the car, never disassemble car parts that could loosen the brakes or transmission.
- Car ramps may appear to be simple enough to make yourself, but constructed car ramps are more durable and safer to use.
Using a car ramp is a big step, and by following the above steps, you can do it very easily without the worry of injuring yourself.
The type of tool you’ll require depends on the task. Car ramps are a good choice for a quick oil change because they are easy to use and faster. However, if you need to change or rotate your tires, you’ll need jack stands, as the ramps will not function.
I think that ramps are a great resource that any do-it-yourself car owner will appreciate.
Thank you for visiting Drivinglife.net