There are countless potential risks if you own a vehicle, especially if you are parked in a suspicious neighborhood. This is the reason why you need to have your vehicle equipped with wheel locks. In this article, we are going to discuss all you have to know before you purchase a wheel lock. To add, we will also provide you with the top five picks for the best wheel locks available in the market right now.
What is a Wheel Lock?
Wheel locks are installed as replacement for your vehicle’s lug nuts. They can only be unlocked with a special key that is included in the set. The type of lock you’re going to need will depend on the wheel style and the shape of the key. It is also at your discretion if you will replace just one or all of the lug nuts in your wheels. To add, a torque wrench is required to install wheel locks so they will not rattle loose.
Having a wheel lock installed in your vehicle has a lot of benefits. First, it does not cost much as the replacement of rims. They will also provide you peace of mind that your rims will never be lost or stolen. Another benefit is that it drives away thieves, as the presence of an anti-theft device discourages them. Thieves won’t be able to unlock them as they feature technology wherein not all prying tools can fit into it.
You can avoid having your wheels tampered with or stolen if you have wheel locks. Whether it is car, motorcycle or even trailer tires, they are easy to steal and impossible to track. This is the reason why thieves target this part of the vehicle more than ever. If you have a wheel lock, it could also mean that it can prevent you from being a victim. However, this won’t stop criminals from stealing your vehicle but it makes sure your wheels won’t be.
Top Five Picks for the Best Wheel Locks
In this section, we are going to talk about the top five recommendations for the best wheel locks available. We will also provide you with a run down of each product’s key features, pros and cons so you can evaluate more effectively.
Types of Wheel Locks
In this section, we are going to discuss some of the types of wheel locks. They may be of great help to narrow down your choices if you are having a hard time choosing.
- Tapered Seat: These are commonly found on aftermarket wheels such as Honda, BMW, Ford, Saab and Renault. They feature a 60-degree cone wherein the thread links to the head on a bolt. To add, a 60-degree cone also fits into the nut’s wheel.
- Radius Seat: This type of wheel lock features a curved area wherein the thread meets with the bolt. You can find them in cars such as Audi, WV and Mercedes.
- Flat Washer: Lastly, this type features a flat washer wherein the wheel meets the thread. These are commonly found in Lexus, Mitsubishi and Toyota.
Tuner bolts and nuts can also be considered as the fourth type of wheel locks. They have the same features as the tapered seat but they are usually driven internally. This would mean that a special adaptor is placed into the center to fasten the bolts or nuts.
Essential Factors to Consider in Choosing the Best Wheel Locks
Before we conclude this discussion, let’s talk about what makes a good wheel lock first. This part is vital, as it will help you evaluate and choose more effectively.
- Size: It is important to measure the size of your vehicle wheel to know what wheel locks to buy. There are different sizes of locks and it may not fit properly if you do not measure the wheel. It’s also important to note that you have to check with the manufacturer first if the wheel supports the locks. That way, you can make sure that you won’t make an expensive mistake.
- Quantity: A set normally includes four wheel locks. However, some brands offer more than four. It is advisable to choose the one that features more than four nuts. With this, you can easily replace one if it has gone missing or stolen. To add, you will not have to buy a new set if you have spare ones. They may be priced a little bit higher but having the above convenience makes the purchase worthy.
- User-Friendly: Wheel locks should be easy for you to use. They should also be easy to install and remove from your vehicle. While being user friendly, these locks should not be easy to be manipulated by thieves. You have to choose one that offers both qualities.
- Unique Key: A unique key is mandatory if you want a secure wheel lock. Other brands may offer a universal key for all the locks they manufacture and you should be aware of that. This will put your wheels at risk because intruders can easily manipulate them. You have to choose one that features a unique key that only you can use, for that specific lock.
- Customer Reviews: Reading up on customer reviews may be a great help if you really want to know first hand experiences on the product. There are many online web sites such as Amazon, where you can see user reviews. To add, these reviews will help you decide on which wheel lock to purchase.
- Price: Investing in an expensive and high-quality wheel lock is not such a bad thing. You should never compromise the safety of your vehicle by buying cheap and lower quality models. Just make sure that you relate each product’s features against their corresponding prices to make a better decision.
- Quality: Lastly, it is worth mentioning that the product’s quality is mostly indicated by its price. High quality wheel locks are made of strong and durable materials so make sure you watch out for that.
We have provided you with valuable information regarding the best wheel locks. Now it’s up to you to evaluate carefully based on the reviews presented above. This may seem like a difficult task but if you’re armed with the right information, decision-making should be very easy. Just make sure to review the features, pros and cons carefully so you can relate their individual prices.
Are you also looking for other products to purchase for your vehicle? Click here to find out more about the products available in the market right now.