Theft is one of the most serious concerns amongst vehicles owner. My parents had their car stolen. 873,080 cars were stolen in 2020. (iii.org) One way to deter theft is to improve your car’s security.
To start with it’s best to secure your car with a car security system, but that might doesn’t always deter theft. Here are 15 tips to improve your car security.
- Use a Kill Switch
- Park in A Secure Location
- Use a Dashcam
- Car Immobilizer
- GPS Tracking
- Security Sticker(s)
- Steering Wheel Lock
- Place Valuable Away
- Lock Doors and Roll Up Windows
- Car Cover
- Etch Car Windows
- Wheel Lock
- Buy Less Stolen Car
- Hood Lock
- Choose A New Route
When I park my Truck, I always lock the doors and park in well-lit places. With a few changes to your routine and physical car security, you can improve how well-protected your car is. We’ll discuss how to implement these 15 car security measures next.
1. Use a Kill Switch
This method is great at preventing a car from starting because a theft has to find the kill switch in order to start the car. A kill switch can be fairly easy to install. The secret is to find a good hiding place so the thief can’t find the switch and to use a hood lock to prevent the thief from bypassing the switch.
2. Park in A Secure Location
Thieft of your car is less likely in well-lit and public areas. Areas that have cameras and security measures will deter thieves and help prevent break-ins. If you can park in a secured garage or parking lot this will likely prevent most thieves from wanting to try to steal your car.
3. Use a Dashcam
A dashcam is great at helping you capture what’s happening around your car, even if the car is off. Some cameras have motion detection monitoring so that if you bump a car the camera will go off even if the car is off.
You can also get a dash cam that monitors the inside cabin of the car, so you can capture on film anyone forcefully trying to enter your car. (see an article about dashcams)
4. Car Immobilizer
These devices are helpful at disabling your car from ever starting or stopping a car once it has started. There are different versions of these devices and they usually require the driver to have a special RFID before the car can start. This is how many modern cars already come with this feature enabled.
You can use your phone with some car immobilizers to stop the engine of a vehicle that has been taken, so it can no longer run.
5. GPS Tracking
These are great at helping you find a car that has been taken. They track where the car is no matter how far and GPS devices can be hidden so well that thieves will never be able to know they are in the vehicle.
Give the police the location of the stolen vehicle and they can help you recover it.
6. Security Sticker(s)
A security sticker warns thieves that your vehicle has some sort of security feature. Thieves are deterred from trying to steal a car if it seems like it might cause too much attention. A sticker can indicate that an alarm will sound if any attempt to steal a vehicle is attempted.
7. Steering Wheel Lock
These can be a great way to deter some thieves. Although they can be taken off by some thieves, it takes time and might draw attention to a thief.
These devices are easy to use and might help a car stay secure, especially if a thief knows there are other security features that they might have to deal with with a car.
8. Place Valuable Away
To secure your car so thieves will not be interested in breaking into your car you can remove all valuables from inside the car. Be sure all purses, phones, laptops, or items of value are hidden, in the glove box, or secured in the trunk.
If a thief can’t see something easy to get and have a quick getaway, then they will likely avoid any cars that don’t seem to have any valuables inside.
9. Lock Doors and Roll Up Windows
Sometimes I forget to lock my door when I am in a hurry. Car thieves look for opportunities to take things that are easy targets. Once you go into the store or even leave the car, the thief may be in and out of your car in seconds to look for and steal any valuables.
If your car is easy to drive away with, they might drive away with it in 30 seconds. (locksmiths.co.uk) Windows that are rolled down look inviting to a thief and make their job easier.
To deter thieves roll up windows and lock doors every time you exit your car.
10. Car Cover
A car cover can protect your car exterior and prevent anyone from seeing what is inside your car. The advantage of some car covers is they can be locked to your car. This might deter many car thieves because of the time needed to uncover the car and dismantle the lock or detach the car cover.
11. Etch Car Windows
Etched windows help the police identify a stolen car. Having a visible sign that a car belongs to a certain person will deter many thieves because they can just replace the windows right away.
The idea of etching your windows is to place the VIN number of the car on the windows. When a car thief tries to resell your car they would have to replace the windows first, which takes time and costs money, so they might not want to go through the trouble.
12. Wheel Lock
When a car has a wheel lock on it that may mean it is going to be impounded for one reason or another. Yet you can buy a wheel lock for your car to help prevent car theft.
Like all theft deterrents for cars, wheel locks can be taken off with enough effort, but would also draw unwanted attention fairly quickly. If you don’t drive your car often or park in unsecured locations, a tire lock could be a good investment.
13. Buy Cars Less Likely To Be Stolen
If have one of the cars on the list below you have a higher likelihood of having your car stolen. You can either try securing your car well or buying a car that is less likely to be stolen.
|1. Honda Civic – Number of Thefts: 38,426|
|2. Honda Accord – Number of Thefts: 36,815|
|3. Ford Pickup (Full-size) – Number of Thefts: 36,355|
|4. Chevrolet Pickup (Full-size) – Number of Thefts: 31,566|
|5. Toyota Camry – Number of Thefts: 16,906|
|6. Nissan Altima – Number of Thefts: 13,284|
|7. Toyota Corolla – Number of Thefts: 12,388|
|8. GMC Pickup (Full size) – Number of Thefts: 11,708|
|9. Dodge Pickup (full size) – Number of Thefts: 11,226|
|10. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee – Number of Thefts: 9,818|
The best way to ensure your car isn’t stolen is to choose at least 3 ways to secure your car. That way if one method fails the other two methods will help with theft prevention or recovery.
14. Hood Lock
While hood locks aren’t available for all cars, they are helpful for preventing thieves from accessing your car’s electrical systems or alarm systems.
A thief trying to get your car started by bypassing an alarm, kill switch, or car immobilizer can be stopped if the hood of the car is locked.
15 Change Your Driving Route and Times
Some thieves will check to see what your daily routine is before they decide to steal your car. If your driving routine is different each day, this will tell the thief that it may be too difficult to predict what you will do.
They want to count on you following a specific time and route each time so they can rely on a place and time that is the best for stealing your car.
How to Get Started With Car Security
Begin by getting a car alarm. There are many varieties with many options. Some come with more advanced security features, but they all help deter theft to an extent.
There are different models that are available and they may work in different ways. Upon leaving your car, push the button that will activate the security system. If you were unable to close the door properly, the alarm will send a notification.
By now, you can walk away from the car, confident that it will be secured. If there is a flashing LED in the car, this provides information to the thief, letting them know that the vehicle has an alarm installed. If someone tries to open the door (article), break the glass, or tamper with the car, you will immediately hear a sound.
Uses of Car Security Systems
To stand out from all others in the competition, manufacturers offer innovative features that will allow them to capture a share of the market. It is commonly used for the purpose stated in the paragraph above. Other than such, a car security system can also be used for the following:
- Remote Start: As the name implies, this feature will allow you to start the car from a distance (video). This means that when you enter the car, the engine has already started and has already warmed up.
- Car Finder: There are some remotes wherein there is a dedicated button, which, when pressed, will allow the vehicle to alarm. Follow where the sound is coming from and you will be able to determine the location of your vehicle.
- Trunk Opener: This is a part of the keyless entry system. Even at a distance and using the remote, you can open the trunk. You can also do so to open the door and rolling the window up and down.
- Temperature Control: For your highest level of comfort (article), it is important to keep the temperature in check. Advanced car security systems will let you monitor the temperature beforehand and start the cooling as desired.
Choosing A Car Security Systems
If you are finding it hard to decide on which product can be the best choice, below are some of the most important factors that you might want to consider:
- Price: Similar to the other products that you buy for your car, the cost is one of the most important considerations. Nonetheless, do not be tempted to purchase a car security system only because of its cheap price. Its quality and functionality should be more important.
- Range: This refers to the distance by which you can receive notifications about your car and use the remote. The better option is one that comes with a longer range, allowing you to make the most out of the device.
- Installation: It is also important to pick one that is user-friendly in terms of installation. You do not need to hire the services of a pro to complete the assembly. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions to get you through the process. They must also provide everything that you will need to complete the installation.
- Remote: The design of the remote is another critical consideration. It should be lightweight and easy to grip, which will make it excellent in terms of portability. It should also have an LCD display so that you can easily monitor the functions.
- Battery: You need to make sure that the battery will last for a long time. Otherwise, the alarm will be useless. It will be better if there is a rechargeable battery, which will be an economical option in the long run.
- Sensors: The quality of the sensor is an equally important consideration. For instance, there should be an impact sensor that will trigger the alarm once it detects that there is someone who is trying to break the glass. Radar sensors and glass break sensors will also be useful to prevent unfortunate situations.
- Warranty: I suggest that you look for a product that has an extensive warranty. Some even have lifetime warranty coverage, providing you with an assurance that it will be free from defects and that it will deliver the highest level of satisfaction.
- Reviews: At the end of the day, the best thing that you can perhaps do is to read reviews from other users, especially those that you can find online. Their real-life experiences and suggestions will make it easier for you to reach the right decision.
Short Reviews of My Car Security System Picks
In this section, we will have a quick rundown of the five best products you might want to consider, as well as some of the reasons why they are great.
1. Viper 5906V Color Remote Start & Security
This innovative car security system offers a smart remote start function. There are two remotes. One has five buttons that can offer a wide rand of functions for two cars. It has an OLCD screen with an easy-to-see display. The remote offers a range of up to one mile.
The intuitive user interface is also another thing that makes this a great product. Even for beginners, operating the car security system will be effortless. Nonetheless, its installation can be quite tricky, so you might need to pack some patience.
There are a couple of fancy features that add value to this product. For instance, you will be able to immediately check the temperature in the car before you enter. One of its remote start capabilities deals with setting the temperature for a more comfortable driving experience.
- Extensive battery life that can last for up to about a month before recharging.
- There is a display screen for ease of monitoring of its functions
- Has triggers for both door and trunk
- Long distance range
This car security system offers excellent value and the number of options it offers. While it is a nicer remote system, it has a multitude of advanced features, making it a commendable option.
2. Python 5706P Responder Security Remote
This product is similar to the one that we have mentioned above, especially in the sense that it also offers a remote start. The biggest difference, however, is that this model has smartphone integration. You can download the app and use it to control the remote from your phone.
As a two-way remote, you can also communicate with your car, in the same way that it can communicate with you. The LCD screen will make it easy to see the alerts. To add, there is also tone and vibration to provide you with notifications.
Lastly, this security system for your car also features Digital Spread Spectrum Technology. The maximum distance of the remote is one mile. By using digital frequency hopping, there should be no problem even if there are blockages.
- Can be connected and controlled through a smartphone
- A strong digital frequency that is not interrupted
- Has vibrations, tones, and display for confirming the commands
- Slim design that is easy to grip
This car security system comes with an ergonomic design and has multiple functions with a frequency range of one mile and is free from obstructions, making it deliver superior reliability.
3. Avital 5303L Car Security System
Flawless security – this is what you can expect with the use of this product. You can be confident that you are always in the know about what is happening in your car. It also offers a remote start feature for your convenience.
This model also has abundant technological features, providing it with an edge above most of the options available in the market. For instance, it has Nuisance Prevention Circuitry, which prevents false alarms, hence, increasing its durability.
To add, this car security system also features a fault-proof starter interrupt. This prevents the possibility of hot wiring, which is another way by which this product provides the protection that your vehicle needs.
- Lightweight design that makes it easy to bring with you
- Comes with highly-advanced sensors
- Large LCD display that is easy to see even in broad daylight
- Has a remote start function
- Has a dual-zone shock sensor
This may not be the easiest in terms of installation, but given its remote start and other features, this is another system that will give you peace of mind about the security of your car.
4. Pyle PWD701 4-button Security System
While Pyle is a company that is known for its high-quality speakers, they have also ventured into the production of car security systems. This product is proof that they are succeeding in establishing their reputation as one of the best within the competitive landscape.
The package is inclusive of two transmitters with four buttons, one each for its main functions – remote start, horn honk, anti-carjack, and remote panic. It is also a good thing that it has a dual-stage impact detector, which enhances its reliability.
Still not convinced that this car security system will be worth the spend? One thing that can change your mind is the fact that the manufacturer is offering a limited lifetime warranty, which can provide an assurance of your highest level of satisfaction.
- The alarm is loud enough to provide quick alerts
- Has window roll-up and keyless entry feature
- Comes with an innovative anti-carjacking feature
This product offers reliable security for your vehicle to prevent carjacking and access without your authority.
5. Crime Stopper SP-302 SecurityPlus Car Security System
Among others, one thing that we love the most about this security system is the distance of its coverage. The 2-way remote can operate at a distance of 3,000 feet. On the other hand, the 1-way remote has a communication range of 2,000 feet.
If you have two cars that you want to protect, this will also be a great product to have as an investment. There is a LED that you can find on the remote and its color will change depending on which vehicle it is used.
Lastly, with a 120 dB siren, you can be sure that the alarm will be easily audible. This will allow you to act quickly.
- Installation can be easily accomplished even for beginners
- Has a feature for keyless entry and trunk open
- Sleek design with a rechargeable battery
For a product that is easy on the wallet, this is an excellent choice. It offers keyless entry and other functions that will provide instant alerts when your car’s security is compromised.
From the options for the best car security systems that have been mentioned above, which will be worth your money? Personally, I would recommend Pyle PWD701 4-button Security System (AD). From its battery life to operating range to its multifunctional capabilities, this is one product that is sure to provide car owners with peace of mind.