Battery and electrical systems are the vital parts of your car. It gives power to your car along with the electronic and electric accessories. So, it is important for everyone to know more and more about them so that you can avoid trouble created by getting stuck off the battery of your car.
There are several issues that occur due to the battery. If you have an old battery in your car, it may happen any time that it won’t be charged. There are also possibilities of draining the battery that happens due to using the electrical items for a long time when the car engine is not running.
The aim of this post is to provide valuable knowledge about the battery of your car. After reading this post, you will know everything about the car batteries.
Function of the Battery for Your Car
A car battery produces an electric jolt which is needed for supplying the power to all electrical parts of your car. A battery shoulders a big responsibility of starting your car. Battery not only provides the power to the car but also helps in maintaining steady electric current that is essential for running the engine continuously.
So a car battery:
- Provides power to the vehicle
- Maintains stable electric current
CA (Cranking Amps) & CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)
These are two very important terms of the battery. CA is a term that tells us that how much current is delivered to the car by the battery at 0°C or 32°F temperature.
CCA tells about the ability of the battery for starting a car when the temperature is -17°C or 0°F. As well as, it also indicates about the current delivered to the starter of the car by the battery.
CCA also tells about the quantity of the lead in a battery.
Maintenance Free And Low Maintenance Battery
- In Maintenance Free battery, you need not pour water, so it comes sealed.
- Low Maintenance Battery are not sealed; you need to pour distilled water.
Indications for Changing Your Car Battery
If you want you should start your car without any problem, you must know when to replace the battery of your car. There are few indications that tell about it. Let’s know about them.
- Does engine crank take too much time to start – If you need much time to start your car, it may be an indication that you need to replace your battery.
- The level of battery fluid – If the level of the battery fluid is low or if it is below the energy conductor or leads plates, you need to test both charging system and battery. It indicates towards the overcharging.
- Check engine light – Sometimes, when the power of the car battery is low, The Check engine light appears.
- Low coolant light – If you see low coolant light, it may be due to the problem of your battery.
- Swelling battery case – It also indicates towards the expiry of the battery.
- If the battery is 3 years old – If the battery is older than 3 years, you need to check whether it is good or However, the battery condition should be examined every year.
Problem with Wrong Battery
Car batteries come in different types and sizes, so it is necessary you choose the right size and type of battery.
If you do not pay attention to it, you may face several problems like:
- If battery is not of right size, it cannot be fitted properly and securely,
- A wrong battery may also not provide enough power,
- Car cables may also not get in touch with to the terminals of the battery, and
- A wrong battery may not be fitted securely.
So it is necessary to choose the right type and size of the battery for your car. The best way to find out the right size of the battery is to check the manual provided by the owner.
Sizes and Types of Battery
For buying the right kind of battery for your car, it is important you know with different types and sizes of a car battery.
- Size 75 Side Terminal – Batteries are good for compact and midsized cars of General Motors as well as some vehicles from Chrysler.
- Size 65 Top Terminal – For Mercury and Ford’s sport utility vehicles, trucks, big cars.
- Size 51 R Top Terminal – For Japanese vehicles from Nissan, Mazda, and Honda.
- Size 34/78 Dual Terminal – For big Chrystal vehicles and large and midsized sedan, and SUVs.
- Size 35 Top Terminal – For Vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, and Subarus.
- Size 24/25F Top Terminal – For vehicles from Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, Honda, and Acura.
Maintenance of Battery
At present, batteries need not any maintenance; they are maintenance free. So you need not check them. But, it is recommended that every year, the battery should be gotten checked by the Mechanic.
Choosing the Battery
If you need to buy a battery, you must be careful. You must pay attention that battery should not be older than 6 months. The power of the battery is lost over time regardless it is being used or not. You can know about it through the shipping codes. You may also find a numeric date on the battery. However, some batteries have codes, in which, the month is represented by letter like A for January while for a year, the number is used.
- Ponder about your safety
- Battery with AH amp hour or maximum RC reserve capacity should be used
- Battery should be recharged immediately as they discharge
- Must pay attention to the maintenance and inspection especially in summer
- Safety is above all; it should not be forgotten
- For charging battery, you should not use the high output battery charger which is unregulated
- When the engine is functioning, you should not cut off battery cables.
- You should not make delay to revitalizing battery.
- Mixing up of different types and sizes of battery should be avoided.
Let’s us know what do think about this post, and don’t forget share it with your friends if you like it.