Towing a hefty load is a real pain especially if you don’t have a weight distribution hitch. You won’t ever have to worry about the occasional swaying if you have one of these. If you have this installed in your vehicle, hauling heavy loads will be more efficient. Weight distribution hitches are fitting for SUV’s and trucks as long as they have the required towing ability.
If you are looking for the best weight distribution hitch, then you are in luck. In this article, we will be discussing all there is to know about this very useful device. We will be talking about its uses, its types, and things to look for in choosing the best one. Not only that, we have here the top five recommendations for the best weight distribution hitch, along with their features.
What is a Weight Distribution Hitch?
Before we have the discussions, let us first talk about what a weight distribution hitch is. A hitch is basically a towing device you use to temporarily attach a trailer with the towing vehicle. Its main purpose is to keep the attached trailer in a flawless balance. To add, it is also used to ensure that the heaviness of the load you are moving is equally distributed.
The weight distribution hitch balances the load at the front part of the trailer up to the axle. It also balances the total weight, including everything that’s inside your trailer. If you opt not having them installed, you will end up having a hard time. Thus, the importance of the hitch is to avoid swaying of your trailer. In addition, you should also consider the type of load you are towing.
One of the major benefits of having this device is that it enables the operator to smoothly brake and turn. It also prevents the driver from losing control of the trailer while driving. With this, the hitch get rids of the irregular weight distribution. Driving with an unevenly distributed trailer weight can be dangerous, especially when driving at high speeds.
Top Five Choices for the Best Weight Distribution Hitch
Gross Trailer Weight
In this section, we will discuss the top five picks for the best weight distribution hitch. If you were having a hard time choosing, read the following section to have a better understanding of each product. We will talk about some of their features, advantages and disadvantages. We hope you will learn a lot about the products so you can evaluate your choices better.
Types of Weight Distribution Hitch
After discussing the top five picks for the best weight distribution hitch, we will now tackle about its types. Knowing two of its most popular kinds can help you make a more informed decision.
- Trunnion Bars – With trunnion spring bars, square spring bars are attached in the center of the ball mount. This type of hitch is best for increasing the system load weight rating. One great feature of trunnion bars is that they balance the ride during windy weather or on unsteady terrain.
- Round Bars – With this type, round spring bars are glided into the bottom part of the ball mount. To add, they are kept in position using clips. This offers more clearance room to attach the trailer to your vehicle.
Factors to Consider in Choosing the Best Weight Distribution Hitch
Before we conclude this article, we will first talk about what to look for in a weight distribution hitch. All of the models presented may be great but to be sure, let’s talk about what makes a good hitch.
- Weight Capacity: This might be one of the most important factors when choosing the best weight distribution hitch. You should buy a hitch that offers at least 50% higher GTW (gross trailer weight) compared to its TW (tongue capacity). This rating will make sure that driving controls are proper and distribution is enhanced for both the trailer and the towing vehicle.
- Sway Control: Your hitch should be able to minimize unpredicted, as well as endangering, sway of the trailer and towing vehicle. The system should prevent your trailer from falling over during hard turns. To enhance your control, you have to build a resistance that only a weight distribution hitch can effortlessly provide you.
- Ease of Installation: Choose a model that will only require you a short while to install. It’s acceptable to assemble a hitch for 30 minutes to an hour but anything longer than that is inconvenient.
- Capacity of the Hitch: Tongue weight may range from 1,000 to 1,200 pounds while gross trailer weight can range from 10,000 to 12,000 pounds. You have to check the manual from the vehicle’s manufacturer to know for sure what type you need.
- Price: If you want to invest on something sturdier, you should consider purchasing one of the more expensive ones. These kinds usually offer outstanding quality and warranty on parts. You should never have to worry about malfunctioning if you invest on a more pricey weight distribution hitch.
- Pre-installed Components: Some models offer hitches that are already complete and do not require you to buy additional hardware. You should look for one that has all the complete parts for ease of installation.
Now that we have discussed the things to learn about weight distribution hitch, we hope we gave you valuable information. It is never easy to find the best one out there but it should be easier with this guide. Finding the best weight distribution hitch can be a little frustrating if you don’t know what you’re looking for.
In this article, we discussed about what a weight distribution hitch is, its benefits and two of its types. We also talked about the essential factors you have to take into consideration in finding the best one. Lastly, we hope we are of very big help with the top five recommendations. You just have to weigh their features, pros and cons to make your decision making a lot easier.
Are you looking for other car-related products? Click here to find out about the options that are available in the market.