Best Exhaust Resonator: Know What You Need
For a lot of people, especially those who do not have extensive technical knowledge when it comes to cars, they often think that an exhaust resonator is the same as the muffler. While the two are critical components of the exhaust system, they are different. One should not be considered as the replacement for the other. Rather, the best exhaust resonator must complement the functions of the muffler.
Thinking about what exhaust resonator to purchase? Curious about the what exactly a resonator is? Do you want to know how you can find the best one? Keep on reading the rest of this post and I will help you to come up with a well-informed decision, which also means that you will be provided with the best bang for the buck.
What is an Exhaust Resonator?
To start this guide, let us first talk about what exactly an exhaust resonator is and what makes it different from a muffler. When the car runs, the internal combustion engine will create noise, which will be easily noticeable when the cars are on the road. It can be annoying to hear such. After all, the only sound that you surely want to hear is one that comes from your high-quality car speakers and not from the exhaust system. This is where the resonator enters the picture.
Basically, an exhaust resonator is an echo chamber attached to the exhaust system, which has the primary goal of reducing the loud noise produced by the engine as it runs. However, if you become more interested in technology, you will learn that the exhaust resonator does not simply work by removing the sound. Rather, it modifies the sound, and in the end, making it appear quieter.
An exhaust muffler also deadens the sound, right? While the muffler also has the same function, it is not the same as the resonator. The latter is often called the pre-muffler because it is installed before the muffler. This means that the muffler and resonator are complementary of each other and not the substitutes.
Through the installation of a resonator, exhaust drone can be significantly reduced. Now, you are probably wondering what exactly exhaust drone is. Simply speaking, this is the loud humming noise that is produced by the exhaust when it is new. Such noise can give you a headache and nausea when you are driving.
Benefits of Exhaust Resonator
Here are some of the benefits that can be yielded from the installation of a resonator in your exhaust system:
- Reduces Noise: This is the main function of the resonator, as it has been pointed out earlier. This will significantly lessen the annoying sound produced by your car, especially when the engine is revving at high speed. This is good not only for the driver and the passenger but also for people around.
- Improves Engine Performance: Another good thing about having exhaust resonator is that it allows you to drive smoothly. This minimizes the friction and will make the engine perform at its best all the time. It is effective in the reduction of engine back pressure, and in turn, improving performance.
To fully enjoy these benefits, it is important to remember that it should be installed along with a muffler. Otherwise, there will still be annoyingly loud sound.
Essential Factors to Consider when Buying
Looking for the best exhaust resonator on the market? To make the right choice, here are some of the most important things that should be taken into account:
- Reviews: Like in the case of buying any other car parts, it would be best to first consult the opinions and experiences of other people. Go online and search for their feedbacks. This is a good way to easily narrow down the possibilities and to see which one is a good choice. As you read reviews, make sure to look at what others are sharing about the effectiveness of the resonator, especially with regards to the amount of sound that is reduced with its use.
- Price: Your budget is also an essential consideration. Work out on how much you can spend for an exhaust resonator, and this will be an easy way to determine which ones are within the budget and which ones are not. At all times, however, do not choose a product only because it is the one with the cheapest price. Quality should be more important.
- Structure: This will refer to the way the exhaust resonator is designed. Consequently, this will have an impact on the way it will perform. More often than not, there is a hollow steel tube, which will serve as the connection to the muffler and the exhaust system of your vehicle.
- Installation: You should also look for one that is effortless to install. You do not necessarily have to work with a pro to complete its assembly. There should be comprehensive instructions and it must be complete with everything that you will need to complete its setup.
- Size: From the length of the diameter, you also have to make sure that the exhaust resonator comes with the right size. It should be appropriate for the exhaust system that you have and for the muffler that is currently installed.
- Material: It is also important to evaluate the material that is used in the exhaust resonator. It should be long-lasting, making it a great investment. Most importantly, it should be effective in the suppression of noise from the exhaust system. Among others, stainless steel is perhaps one of the most popular materials. It is known for excellent resistance from corrosion, which can be effective in prolonging the lifespan.
- Installation Kit: There are some exhaust resonators that are sold on its own while others are sold with everything else that you will need, such as flanges and brackets. The latter is better because there is no need to be burdened with the need to look for compatible attachments that will be needed in the assembly of the resonator.
Top Picks for the Best Exhaust Resonator
Cummins Northwest, Inc
SLP Performance Parts
If you are looking for the best in the marketplace, here are some of the options that you might want to consider, as well as the features that they have.
1. Vibrant 1142 3” Ultra Quiet Resonator
Although this exhaust resonator has a length of only three inches, this can perform a decent job in most of the instances. Just make sure that its size is compatible with the requirements of your exhaust system.
Among others, one of the most impressive things about this product is that it is made from high-quality stainless steel, which is known for its durability. It will resist corrosion and rust, making it withstand the test of time.
The True Straight Through perforator that is integrated into the resonator is another thing that you might love. The latter improves the ability of the product to absorb sound; hence, minimizing the noise produced by the engine.
Lastly, the manufacturer offers you a 5-year limited warranty. Within this period, you can return the product to the manufacturer if you experience defects. Of course, you have to read the terms and conditions of the warranty coverage to be sure that it won’t be voided.
- Installation can be accomplished in a snap
- Compact size but big on performance
- Made from premium polished stainless
- Can effectively get rid of exhaust drone
- May not be suitable for rotary engines
- Minimal length
2. Walker 21398 Resonator Assembly
Among other things, one that you might find to be impressive in this product is the material that is used. The aluminized steel construction can give you an assurance of its durability. This material is impressive because of its ability to resist corrosion, and hence, prolonging its lifespan.
The louvered tube technology is another feature that will make this an exceptional choice. The latter is just one of the features that will make sure of its effortless installation. There is no need to run to your neighborhood mechanic for help. You can easily complete its assembly in your exhaust system.
Another good thing about this product is that it comes in a complete kit with everything that you will need to get started. Aside from the resonator, there are also brackets and flanges, which will ensure the ease of installation.
The limited lifetime warranty offered by the manufacturer is also impressive. They can have it replaced in case of defects, as long as it is used for private vehicles, and the terms specified are met.
- Easy installation
- Made from solid materials
- A bit too long for some
- Looking for pipe sleeve can be tricky
3. DC Sport EX-1014 Stainless Steel Resonated Slant Cut Bolt-on Exhaust Tip
This product is made from 100% stainless steel. This is a material that is excellent not only when it comes to durability, but also in terms of its appearance. It has a mirror-like finish that gives it excellent aesthetics.
This resonator does not only reduce the sound created by the exhaust, but it can also be instrumental in the improvement of the horsepower of the engine. The performance of your car will be better with its use.
It comes with 3-bolt clamping system for having it attached in your exhaust. However, there are some users who noted that the clamps can be flimsy. With this, as suggested by others, the best thing that you can do is to have it welded.
- Made from 100% stainless steel for guaranteed durability
- No need for cutting existing pipe, if there is any
- Not prone to rusting
- Need to weld since clamps are weak
- Larger than others
4. Cummins Power Generation 155-2449
The quality is also decent. Nonetheless, it is not as popular as many of its competitors, which can make you hesitant about choosing it among others.
It is also a good thing that it is made using aluminized steel. This material is known for its exceptional strength. Even through the years, it will deliver an optimal performance, provided that it is handled with care.
- Can be installed in a snap
- Not as popular as other models
- May not be fitted in some exhausts
5. SLP 31062 Loud Mouth Bullet Type Resonator – Pair
If you are looking for flexibility, this is one option that should be on the top of your list. One thing that we love is how you can easily convert from muffled to wide open in a snap. This will be the perfect choice if you want a modular resonator.
The hand-polished stainless steel used in this resonator is also exceptional, especially if we talk about strength. This material can resist external factors that can possibly speed up damages. Also, the stainless steel is embossed with the company’s logo.
In terms of compatibility, however, it is limited to the Mustang Cat-back exhaust systems that can be seen in the models from 1979 to 2004. Make sure to check its compatibility first so that you won’t end up wasting your money.
- Already available as a pair
- Offers flexibility
- High-quality construction
- Minimal reviews are available online
The best exhaust resonator is one of the essentials for your car. Along with the muffler, this can be effective in reducing the annoying sound that is produced by the engine as you drive. To add, it is also effective in improving the performance of the engine. Nonetheless, not all of the products can deliver the same optimal functionality and superior quality. With this, you should spend time in evaluating the alternatives. Or better yet, narrow down your choices to the five products that we have briefly reviewed above.
Are there other products that you need for your car? Click here and learn more about other parts and accessories that you may find interesting.