The windshield isone of the most important parts of a car. It not only keeps you and any passengers in your car safe, it alsohelps to maintain the structure of the vehicle. Windshields were first developed to protect drivers from dirt and any form of debris, but they now provide crucial support in protecting the structural integrity of the car.
Automotive glass used for windshields is specially designed and manufactured to ensure the safety of both the driver and passengers. Windshields are made with laminated glass created by inserting a thin layer of polyvinyl butyral (PVB) between two sheets of glass and then sealing it through a process of pressure and heat. The combination of heat and pressure works to bond the adhesive qualities of PVB to the glass.
This layer of PVB allows the glass to better absorb energy in a collision and will also provide vital resistance from contact with damaging objects. Although a windshield can crack or break, the glass should stay intact.
Support During An Accident
Windshields provide the necessary strength and rigidity to secure the structure of the car in case of an accident.
- Collisions: When your car collides with something head-on, the windshield will contribute about 45% of the vehicle’s structural integrity. Without the windshield, the car could be completely crushed from the force of impact.
- Air Bag Support: Most know that air bags will deploy in an accident to keep passengers safe. However,most do not know that the windshield is what actually allows for an air bag to function properly. The strength of a windshield supports the force and speed of a deployed air bag allowingthe bag to first bounce off it and then towards the passenger. The windshield absorbs the impact of the airbags preventing injury to those in the vehicle.
- Rollovers: In rollover situations, the windshield plays a key role in upholding the structure of the car and preventing the roof from collapsing. Given that some of the biggest injuries suffered by passengers in rollover accidents are due to ejections and head injuries, having a strong windshield to prevent more serious and traumatic injuries.
Tips For Maintaining Your Windshield
Because a windshield is such an important component for the structure of any vehicle, not to mention for the safety of the passengers, it is recommended to take proper care in maintaining and repairing it.. A few tips to consider include:
- Be sure that windshield wipers are clean free of dirt and debris, and that they are working efficiently to avoid scratches.
- Use the proper cleaning agents for a tinted windshield. Ammonia-based glass gleaners can damage the tint on your windshield, while products such as vinegar, alcohol or special automotive glass cleaners can provide a better, safer clean.
- Whenever possible, avoid parkingyour vehicle in direct sunlight. Lengthy exposure to direct sunlight allows the heat and UV rays from the sun to gradually weaken the tint and structural integrity of your windshield making it more susceptible to cracking when in a collision. Existing chips or cracks can also become worse when the temperature inside and outside of the vehicle is drastically different.
- Many people have a habit of slamming their car doors or shutting them too hard. Slamming a car door can create vibrations inside the car. If this is done continuously enough it can cause the windshield to become dislodged. Slamming car doors can also cause chips and cracks to grow.
- Small rocks and other similar objects can come into contact with your windshield at any given moment resulting in a small chip on the surface. Chips or cracks should never beoverlooked because they will surely grow and lead to more costly repairs. Be sure that you are proactive in repairing any size chip or crack in your windshield. If you are in an accident with a windshield in poor condition, your car will be at a greater risk of damage, while you and your passengers will be at a greater risk of injury.
Las Vegas Windshield Service And Windshield Repair
Secured Auto Glass offers superior Windshield Service for the Las Vegas area. With free estimates, Secured Auto Glass provides expert Windshield Replacement, Windshield Repair and Auto Glass Repair at affordable prices. Contact us online or call today at (702) 643-8511 for more information.