It is very important to consider taking proper care of your car’s engine. It really makes a good impression to anyone when you show them your clean engine.
Having the best engine degreaser will make your engine good looking, as well as maintain its performance. Not only that, the degreaser can allow your car to run smoothly for a longer period of time.
In this article, we will be discussing all about engine degreasers. We will talk about what their benefits are and some of the most popular types. Let start by talking about what to do before getting a engine degreaser.
What to do Before Using an Engine Degreaser
- The Battery - You want to check your electrical connection for tightness and disconnect the battery if possible. This way you avoid shorting any electrical parts.
- Clean off Dirt - This may not be necessary, but helps remove more dirt. Vacuum out or blow out all the dust and dirt. You can use a soft brush to help remove some of the stuck on dirt.
- Get all your Tools - Avoid using a pressure washer and go for a regular hose to prevent water from entering electrical connections. Get brushes, degreaser, rags, and anything else needed.
Top Car Engine Degreasers
What is an Engine Degreaser?
Before we proceed with the discussions, we should first define what an engine degreaser is. An engine degreaser is basically a fluid that consists of chemicals that get rid of oil and grease.
These are the hardest substances to clean or get rid of on your engine. It is a product that’s not only for cleaning, but also acts for the purpose of increasing your engine’s lifespan.
Using this product for your engine has a lot of interesting benefits. It can make your car look better maintained, good looking, and a lot newer. The engine will also run smoothly if it’s clean.
Using an engine degreaser can help you detect grease an oil leak. Detecting leaks at an early stage won’t cause many problems to your engine, as you can have it repaired immediately.
Cleaning your engine can save the repair charges, as it is also proven by professionals that it can prevent mechanical problems. If your engine is clean, you will get a reasonable value if you want to trade or sell the car.
In case you notice petroleum or dust on your engine, it is advisable that you use an engine degreaser. They are useful when cleaning your engine.
Use a degreaser if your car engine hasn’t been maintained or cleaned for a while. It can help you quickly and easily remove built up dirt, grease and make it look new in no time.
Types of Engine Degreasers
Now that we talked about the top five recommendations, we will now discuss some of its types. This section is also considered critical as your decision may be based on what type you need.
Also, this will help you shorten the list of your choices in finding the best engine degreaser. Below we will discuss the six of its most popular types.
- Environment-Friendly Degreaser: This might be the considered as the highly recommended one out of all the types. Its components, mostly include baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, soap and cornstarch is very effective in cleaning engines.
- Metal Solvent Degreaser: This type of degreaser is normally used in machinery and vehicles. It is also rendered effective in removing grease from bearings, joints and motors.
- Petroleum-Based Degreaser: This product contains distillates and ethanol, working best for vehicles and its parts. Aside from grease removal, it is also used for removing residues from gasoline, oil and other lubricants.
- Vapor Solvent Degreaser: This might be different from all the degreasers in this list. The part of the vehicle will be placed on top of the vapor, wherein the vapor does its work.
- Foam Degreaser: This type of degreaser is normally applied to electrical appliances and car engines. You just have to wipe after application without using water.
- Ultrasonic Degreaser: The ultrasonic degreaser uses advanced formulation, called ultrasonic waves, to remove residues and grease from engine parts.
Top Picks for the Best Engine Degreaser
Choosing the best one is going to be frustrating especially if you don’t know what you’re looking for. We are going to talk about some of their outstanding features, as well as their pros and cons. This can help you in narrow down your choices.
Essential Factors to Consider when Choosing the Best Engine Degreaser
Before we conclude this discussion, we will tackle what makes a good engine degreaser. Sure, all of the brands mentioned above are great, but some of their features are more outstanding than the others. In order to make a sound decision, you should also be informed of these important factors.
- Contents: You have to check the contents of your degreaser. You have to look for the ingredients that will not only clean your engine, but also maintain it. Another thing, the formula should not contain harmful and toxic chemicals. You should also look for non-flammable and biodegradable degreaser.
- Safe for any Surface: The one you should purchase should not cause damage to the surfaces it is being applied on. It should be safe on plastic, rubber, steel, as well as paint.
- Odor Generation: Most of the degreasers generate an odor that may be harmful when inhaled. Choose one that is odorless or has artificial scent, and something you can use for longer periods of time.
- Does not Leave Residue: You should not worry about cleaning up the extra white residue left by some degreasers. You should look for one that leaves no spot on the surfaces.
- Versatility: You should find a product that you can use for other cleaning jobs, aside from cars. There are a lot of options in the list above that you can use for household and general maintenance.
Should You Use Soap to Degrease Your Engine?
Soap is possibly the safest method of degreasing your engine. I will probably take a little extra time, but you can ensure that it won't have any issues with corrosion, bad smells, skin and eye irritation, or harmful chemicals.
If you want to get a good clean, try a soap that can degrease but is mild, such as a dish soap cleaner. The video below gives a great example of using soap.
Now that you have learned about engine degreasers, we hope you can make a better decision now because you will be able to make an informed decision about the best engine degreaser.
If you are looking for other products that can be used for your engine or your car in general, click here and learn more.