Having the best strut compressors is vital when you are changing the struts on your vehicle. The strut compressor is specifically designed for the replacement of strut cartridges and assembly parts. It will safely compress the vehicle’s door springs that will make it easy for you to remove it and install the replacement. Depending on the compressor, pins will allow you to securely lock the springs for your safety.
In this post, we are going to discuss everything you will need to know before you buy a strut compressor. We will talk about the factors you might want to consider, with the top 5 recommendations for the best ones in the market, some of its types, and lastly, tips in using a strut compressor. We hope that after you read this post, you will be able to make a more informed decision and prevent yourself from making an expensive mistake.
What Factors Should You Consider When Choosing The Best Strut Compressors
Before you start searching for a product that will provide you great value for your money, below are some of the considerations you might find helpful:
- User reviews and ratings: These are very important because they reflect the opinions of the actual buyers. Make sure you read each review carefully to know how the product has worked out for its buyers. Ratings, on the other hand, will give you a summary of what the buyers think of the product as a whole.
- Compatibility: Because struts come in varying sizes, not all compressors will guarantee that you may use on multiple sizes. Our recommendation is that you buy the strut compressor that will be able to accommodate as many spring sizes as possible.
- Sturdiness: Given the fatal threat of changing the struts in your vehicle, it is imperative that you buy the sturdiest and strongest out of all the products. In addition, strut compressors are used for heavy-duty applications and that’s why they need be strong.
- Replacement parts: Just like any other toolbox, some or many of the parts may need replacement over time. You should go for the product that offers warranty, or even easily available replacement parts so that you won’t have to worry about buying a new set in case you only need replacement for just one part.
- Ease of use and transport: This is also a very important factor, given how delicate changing struts are. The one you should buy must be easy to operate and must have the option of proper storage. If you have your tools stored, it is less likely that parts will go missing; and it will be easy to transport.
- Safety: This might be the most important factor you have to consider. Handling struts may be a hazard, which can happen especially if you do not have the correct tools. You should buy the one, which can offer the safety you will need.
- Price: You should buy the one that has the best features, instead of the cheapest and low quality ones. There should never be a price for your safety. One way to do this is to evaluate all the features, pros, and cons carefully for you to be able to come up with an informed decision.
Top Picks For The Best Strut Compressors
If you still don’t have a strut compressor in mind, in this section, we will provide you a run down of the 5 best options that are available in the market.
Different Types Of Strut Compressors
If you are a first-time buyer, you might be a bit overwhelmed with the list presented above. In order for you to make a decision on what to buy, it is also important that you are familiar with the different types of strut compressors.
1. External Strut Compressor
- Normally used in a strut-type situation wherein there is a shaft that runs through the center of the spring.
- Comes with 2 devices that look like C-clamps
- Can be hooked on the spring from the outside
- Should be tightened down through the use of wrench
- Clamps should be placed evenly around the coil
- Manufacturer’s recommendations on lubrication and proper storage should always be followed.
2. Internal Strut Compressor
- Opposite of external strut compressor, as it is used even without obstructions at the center of the spring
- Can easily be installed and removed
- Consists of shaft with 2 threaded arms that will take hold of the spring
- Similar to external strut compressor in terms of even spacing around the coil
- To avoid damages, the manufacturer’s tips on storage and proper care should be followed
3. Klann-type Strut Compressor
- Involves a telescoping jack shaft and plates
- Suitable for many high-tension spring operations
- Extremely strong and straight
- Easy and convenient to use
Quick Tips In Using Strut Compressor
Once you have the best strut compressor, you might want to consider the below tips to enjoy its maximum functionality:
How to remove old struts:
- You have to replace the entire strut if you do it without using a compressor tool. If the only thing that is not damaged is your shock absorber, it might be better to replace the whole thing. It is deemed a lot easier to do but will cost more. This is the reason why if there is nothing wrong with your vehicle’s strut spring, you can just keep on using it.
- Jack up your vehicle if you wish to replace a strut unit. Turn the wheel after you jacked it up. This will allow you to access the parts of the strut easier. Disconnect the ABS line and then do the same to the brake line that is linked to the strut. You might want to use a flathead screwdriver to take the clip of. A breaker bar would also be essential to remove the bolt attached to the base of the strut.
- Put a wrench around the sway bar end link to remove the bolt. You might need to jack up your car in varying quantities just until the bolt straightens. Remove the bolts from the strut tower and this would separate your old strut from your car entirely.
How to install new struts:
- Safety should be of utmost priority when using the strut compressor. Did you know that the spring has the force that can be fatal and dangerous for its user, especially if something goes wrong? You have to remember to pay close attention, as well as follow instructions and practice safety all time.
- Place one clamp on either side evenly and then push the pins in. You may now tighten the nuts on each side. Remove the nut found at the top and slide the shock absorber out. Slide in a new one then screw it back on.
To summarize, the best strut compressors will be able to deliver you a safe and strong handling of changing the struts of your vehicle. As mentioned earlier, safety is very important, as this application can be fatal if you do not have the right tools. Even if you have the best strut compressors, you must seek professional help if you are not comfortable handling the task by yourself.
Are you also looking for other products for your vehicle? Click here to find more products that are available in the market right now.