It can be stressful when one really needs to go to the bathroom while on a road or camping trip. This is the reason why you need the best RV toilet, which is made specifically for a recreational vehicle. In this article, we will be discussing all there is to know about RV toilets. We will also provide you with a run down of the top five recommendations for the best RV toilet.
An Informative Guide to Choosing the Best RV Toilet
What is an RV Toilet?
Before we proceed with the discussions, let’s first talk about what an RV toilet is. Basically, an RV toilet is the toilet you install in the bathroom of your recreational vehicle. Humans need to complete the process of getting rid of bodily waste through urinating and defecating. We also need the convenience of a hygienic and comfortable living situation while we are on a road trip.
Having an RV toilet installed in your vehicle has a lot of advantages and benefits. First off, it offers high standards of hygiene. If you keep your RV bathroom well maintained, you may as well eat a sandwich inside. Another benefit is convenience RV toilets offer. You won’t have to stop at each gas station just to go to the toilet. Stopping on the side of the road will also never be an option if you have one of these.
RV Toilets are also highly portable, unlike the regular toilets installed in our homes. It is very easy to use, as it has its own flushing system. You will never have to stress yourself with getting a bucket of water to flush the toilet. To add, it is also easy to install. These RV toilets come with a manual or a guideline on how to install the unit properly. Having an RV toilet installed is vital especially if you love going on long trips with your family.
Top Five Picks for the Best RV Toilet
In this section, we will be discussing the top five choices for the best RV toilet. We will be providing you each product’s key features, pros and cons so you can evaluate effectively.
1. Camco 41541 Portable Toilet
First on this list is the Camco 5.3 gallon Portable Toilet. It is a toilet that is designed for RV-ing, boating, as well as for camping use. It is made of sturdy polyethylene, which is also lightweight and compact. It features a 5.3-gallon holding tank that is detachable and it includes a sealing slide valve. This feature allows the toilet to lock in odors and it protects the toilet from leakages.
The Camco portable toilet comes with two side latches that make sure the tank is secured to the toilet. It also has a carrying handle for quick and easy transport. The toilet is very easy to use as the flush comes in bellow-type, with pull slide valve for simple flushing. It should be noted that the toilet seat measures 13 inches in width. Lastly, the package comes with Camco’s TST biodegradable toilet chemical.
- Can hold up to 5.3 gallons of liquid for flushing
- Proven to have no leakages and bad odor
- Material is made of sturdy polyethylene which makes the toilet durable
- Comes with a carrying handle for easy transport
- Might clog easily on big objects
- Might be too small for adults
2. Dometic 310 Series Standard Height
The Dometic 310 is another great model when it comes to RV toilets. It features true 100% bowl coverage that lives up as advertised. It is also pleasing to look at because it has an elegant and tasteful European design. It is lightweight, as the item only weighs 37.8 pounds. It also features a full-sized adult seat, which comes in 18 inches ergonomic seat height.
Another great feature of the Dometic 310 toilet is that it has an easily accessible water line connection. Installation is also proven to be very easy, as you only need two bolts. This toilet comes with a hand spray, which is guaranteed to be low maintenance and is very reliable. Lastly, the Dometic 310 features a powerful flush with swirl-jet bowl rinse action that ensures the rinse is clean.
- Features an ergonomic seat height of 18 inches
- Has a power flush and an optional hand spray
- Lightweight and durable
- Low maintenance
- May not last long
- The toilet seat may be flimsy for some
3. Thetford 92360 Porta Potti 550E Curve Portable Toilet
The Thetford Porta Potti features a more fantastic design compared to other models. Its appearance is modern and is comfortable to use. You can store up to 4 gallons of liquid for flushing and can accommodate waste of up to 5.5 gallons. The tank for wastes is separated from the main components, which makes it very easy to clean. Disposal is also easy as the toilet has a slanting spout, which you can direct at a designated disposal point.
One interesting feature of the Thetford Porta Potti is that you can have a maximum of 66 flushes. It should be noted though that it is highly advisable to have the liquid levels checked every now and then. This toilet features a toilet paper holder that is placed inside a hidden compartment. You can pull it out if you need to use it and return it back after using. One last thing, the flush is battery powered which makes it a great RV toilet.
- Design is modern and is comfortable to operate
- Features a tissue paper holder located inside a hidden compartment
- Easy disposal due to the slanting spout
- Can hold up to 4 gallons of liquid used for flushing.
- Some users have experienced a sudden stop without a warning
- May be difficult to get ahold of customer service
4. Nature's Head Self Contained Composting Toilet
The Nature’s Head Self Contained Composting Toilet is one of the most reliable urine separating dry toilets. You may use this anywhere you need a toilet, especially if you don’t have plumbing or electricity present. It is guaranteed to have no foul odor that is associated with all other tank systems. To add, there is a low volume air circulation fan that ensures your environment smells better.
For its specifications, material is made of high quality stainless hardware. It features a full sized elongated seat that makes the toilet very comfortable to use. Another great thing about the Nature Head Toilet is that it can be disassembled within seconds if it needs emptying. It also comes with a vent hose and a fan. This toilet is easy to install and has a compact design. Lastly, overall length of the toilet is 17 and ¾.
- Does not need water
- Material is made of highly durable polyethylene
- Low maintenance as you only need to clean it every three to four weeks
- Features a low volume air circulation fan
- The vent hose included in the package is too short
- The design is terrible according to some users
5. Sanitation Equipment Visa Potty Model
Last but definitely not least is the Sanitation Equipment Potty. This toilet is easy to use because of the pistol pump. It can be replaced easily with a two-directional rinse that improves bowl surface coverage. It features a deep bowl that aids in better levels of comfort for the user. To add, the lids can be snapped and closed, which keeps the vibration while it is moving.
Another great feature of this product is the waste level indicator, which is very easy to read and comprehend. It also has a fresh water level indicator that will be very convenient for the user. In addition, maintenance is also simple and very easy. The Sanitation Equipment features a detachable spout that makes cleaning hassle free. Lastly, this product is likely to last for a long period of time as long as you properly maintain it.
- Easy to use because of the replaceable pistol pump
- Features a waste level and fresh water level indicator
- Comes with a detachable spout for easy maintenance
- Long lasting
- Might be difficult to clean and maintain according to some users
- Other users complained about its quality
Types of RV Toilets
After discussing the top five picks for the best RV toilet, let’s talk about five of its most popular types. You may also use this section as a factor in considering the best one out there.
- Gravity Flush – This is considered the most traditional one and has been tested for RV’s for decades. It utilizes the simplest form of flushing and must be installed directly on top of the waste holding tank.
- Macerating Flush – This type of flush features motor-powered blades that macerate waste before it goes down the holding tank. This type of flushing technology allows the tank and the toilet to be separate from each other. Because of the maceration, the holding tank’s effluent is more fluid than other types of toilets.
- Vacuum Flush – A stored vacuum vessel, as well as macerating pump, pulls the bowl contents from the toilet bowl. Like the previous type, the flushing technology allows the toilet and the holding tank apart from one another. The vacuum flush toilet is also convenient to use because it can be placed anywhere in a motorhome.
- Cassette – The technology on this one offers a compact toilet bowl that is installed permanently over a waste tank. These are primarily designed for use on campervans and caravans. When used, the contents of the bowl drop directly into the tank.
- Portable – These are lightweight plastic or stainless toilet bowl that comes with a waste tank. One thing to note about this is that you have to remove the lower tank in case the waste tank is already full. You can reconnect it once you have cleaned the bowl.
Essential Factors to Consider in Choosing the Best RV Toilet
Before we conclude this discussion, it would be vital for you to know what makes a great RV toilet. So in this section, we are going to discuss some of the essential factors to consider in choosing the best RV toilet.
- Hygiene – Hygiene may be considered as the most important factor to consider in choosing an RV toilet to buy. You need to choose a toilet that will not have any leakages and will not spread bacteria.
- Features – A lot of the models presented above have different features and you need to examine them thoroughly. Make sure you buy one that will be a great benefit for your road trip.
- Easy Installation – RV toilets are very easy to install. You just have to make sure that you buy one that will also be very easy to repair. Size can also be considered because the small ones are easier to install than the bigger ones.
- Extra Amenities – This would include the flushing system, as well as the other additives such as hand sprays and spouts. This can also be a defining factor as you can have extra amenities for the price of one.
- Price – In choosing the best RV toilet, price should be the last thing you have to consider. Make sure you don’t buy one that is cheap and is made of poor quality materials. To add, if you want a long lasting one, go for the more expensive ones as they are guaranteed to be more high quality.
We have provided you with all the things you need to know about RV toilets. It’s now up to you to choose the best RV toilet available in the market right now. Make sure you weigh their differences in features, pros and cons so you can make a more informed decision. This should be an easy task especially if you already know what you are looking for.
Are you also looking for similar items to purchase for your recreational vehicle? Click here to know about some of the products that are available right now.