It’s summer. You are about to hit the road with your own motorhome. A lot of you might have hesitations, thinking that you will suffer from discomfort. Yes, you might end up not being able to have a good sleep, but this is only the case if you do not prepare for it. With this, while you will need a lot of stuff, such as a comfortable mattress, you will also need the best RV air conditioner.
If you are looking for an air conditioner that comes with a compact size but plenty of power, keep on reading the rest of this guide. We will let you know some of the most important factors to consider. We will also briefly tackle the top five options that are available in the market.
What is an RV Air Conditioner?
As the name implies, it is an air conditioner that is made specifically for RVs. It is an excellent addition for your motorhome, especially if you plan to go on a trip or camp during the hot months. These air conditioners have small size, yet they can deliver plenty of power to make sure that you will stay cool and comfortable.
For the RV air conditioner to run, there is a need to have AC power. It is usually a 120-volt socket, although the voltage can vary. It is connected to a power source, usually an external generator. The latter will provide the energy that is necessary for the air conditioner to run.
Among others, one of its most important parts is the compressor. The latter is basically the one that condenses the vapor and heats it. It will transfer to the condenser and the heat will be moved out of the fan. It cools the vapor and makes it evaporate. The process repeats and it results in effectively regulating the temperature inside the RV.
Top Pick for the Best RV Air Conditioner
If you are clueless about what product will make the best choice, below are five of the products that you should include in your list.
Different Types of RV Air Conditioner
It is also important to take note of the fact that not all of the RV air conditioners work in the same way. They also have varying designs and can deliver different levels of effectiveness. Generally speaking, the following are some of the options that you will be confronted with:
- Ducted RV Air Conditioner: The aerodynamic body of this type also has the same parts as its counterpart, but the difference is that the control unit is not inside the ceiling. Because of this, they are usually slimmer, and hence, you can have more headroom in the RV. This is usually more complicated in terms of installation.
- Non-Ducted RV Air Conditioner: If you are looking for simplicity, this should be on the top of your list of choices. Its installation will be possible through the creation of a hole on the roof of your RV. Many of them can be readily installed on the existing vents. It is packaged in an aerodynamic body, which is already inclusive of the blower, condenser, and compressor.
RV air conditioners can also be categorized based on where they will be installed:
- Rooftop RV Air Conditioner: This is perhaps the better option between the two. It is excellent in terms of maximizing the space that is available in the RV. Because most roofs already have a vent or provision for an AC, its installation can also be easy.
- Under-Bench RV Air Conditioner: It is an air conditioner that is installed in a compartment or under a bench. This means that it will require a larger space compared to its counterpart. It is a good thing that it won’t block the entry of natural light. Also, it won’t reduce the clearance or height inside.
Benefits of an RV Air Conditioner
The following are some of the benefits that might convince you that it is indeed an investment that is necessary for your motorhome:
- Comfort: If there is only one reason why you need to install an air conditioner in your RV, it would be the fact that it is vital for your comfort. This will make you feel cold even when the weather outside is hot. This also means that you can sleep comfortably even when you are devoid of the luxuries that you used to have in your bedroom at home.
- Keep the Air Clean: Depending on the quality of the product that will be chosen, it can also be excellent in terms of improving indoor air quality. Since the windows are closed, there is a lesser tendency that dust will get inside, which will be good for preventing allergies.
- Can Withstand Vibration: A lot of you might think of using the same air conditioning that you have at home. After all, it is cheaper. However, this is not a good idea. An RV air conditioner is a better choice because they are made in such a way that they can handle vibrations on the road.
- Space-efficient: Adding an air conditioner in your RV is also a good thing because it won’t consume too much space. This is as against having the traditional portable air conditioner or dehumidifier with wheels.
Choosing the Best RV Air Conditioner
As you try to narrow down the options that are available in the market, it is important to consider the following factors, which will make it easier to tell which one stands out above all others:
- Cooling Efficiency: This is one of the most important technical specifications. The higher the number, the more powerful the product is. Take note, however, that the more powerful ones can also be more expensive.
- Size of the RV: You do not necessarily need to have an AC that has high efficiency. At the end of the day, this will all depend on the space of the RV that you have. Determine its size to easily decide on which one is best for your needs. Obviously, a smaller RV will be more than enough with a less powerful unit.
- Size of the Air Conditioner: If the air conditioner is too bulky, it will minimize the space that is available in the RV, especially the headroom. Make sure to find a product that is fitted for the available space that you have.
- Ease of Installation: In most instances, you do not have to rely on the expertise of the pros to install the RV air conditioner. Make sure that the manufacturer offers comprehensive instructions plus all the parts that are needed to complete the assembly in a snap.
- Ease of Cleaning: With long-term use, it is inevitable that the unit will show signs of deterioration. With this, to extend its functional lifespan, make sure that it is regularly cleaned and maintained. It should be designed in such a manner that doing the latter will be a breeze.
- Power Consumption: To function, the air conditioner needs a source of power, which is usually a portable generator. Unfortunately, this is the most power-hungry appliance that you can have in your RV. With this, before buying, think of its wattage, which will be indicative of the power that it will consume.
- Warranty: What if the product breaks? It will be good if it comes with an extensive warranty coverage. This means that the manufacturer can offer free repair and replacement of the defective parts, as long as you have followed their terms and conditions.
So, what is the best RV conditioner that is available in the market today? If you ask me, I would say that Dometic B59516.XX1C0 Brisk II Polar White Air Conditioner stands out from all others. It has impressive cooling efficiency while also making sure that the installation will be a snap to accomplish.
Are you looking for other products that you can use in your RV? Click here and learn more about some of the products that you might need.