It is an inconvenience if our favorite gadgets run out of batteries in the middle of a long-distance driving. This is the reason why you need power inverters equipped in your vehicle, as it may come in handy. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to learn about power inverters before you make a purchase. We will also provide you with a rundown of the top five picks for the best power inverter for cars.
What is a Power Inverter for a Car?
A power inverter for the car is an electronic device that converts direct current input into an alternating current output. Using a power inverter for your car will enable you to charge your laptops and other devices while on the road. Car batteries work on direct current, and most gadgets and electronics run on alternating current. It is a very useful device that you can equip on your car battery for emergencies, simple convenience, and mobile devices.
The power inverter for the car boosts the amount of current provided by the cigarette lighter to more substantial levels. Direct current, which is measured in volts, is converted into alternating current, which is measured in watts. This will allow its users to add power to their electronic devices, such as cell phones, laptops, and game consoles. However, factors including car battery capacity and output wattage must be taken into consideration.
Using a power inverter for a car may drain the battery if you use it while the engine is off. Many of these devices are equipped with a safety feature that shuts down automatically before the battery is completely drained. It is vital for people who need to work on laptops and people who love going on road trips. It is also useful for those who travel and parents who wish to keep their children entertained.
Top Five Picks for the Best Power Inverter for Car
|Product (Amazon Links)
1000W Power Inverter
500W Power Inverter
1100W Power Inverter
2300W Power Inverter
In this section, we are going to discuss the top five recommendations for the best power inverter for car. We’ll talk about some of its best features, pros, and cons so you can come up with an informed decision.
1. BESTEK 1000W Power Inverter Dual AC Outlets Car Inverter
Bestek is one of America’s leading brands when it comes to power inverters for car. It will be able to provide up to a peak power of 2400 watts continuous DC to AC power conversion. It offers maximum protection through its automatic overload and low-battery shutdown features. It has three external fuses and a built-in cooling fan. To add, it features lit power switch signal status.
Another great feature of this model is its rugged construction that allows it to withstand harsh environments. The power inverter comes with two battery clamps and one car cigarette plug, along with the user manual for instructions. It is designed as a portable device that offers high performance to charge multiple loads of household and electronic appliances. It weighs 3.63 pounds and working temperature is set at -10℃~40℃.
You should keep in mind that it is very normal for the inverter to become warm while being used. It should also not be exposed to direct sunlight or next to heat-sensitive materials.
- Packages include the inverter, two clamps, and one car cigarette plug
- The Brand offers an 18-month warranty
- Comes with three external fuses and a cooling fan
- Can endure harsh conditions
- Might not last long
- Finding a fuse replacement may be difficult
2. Energizer 500-Watt Power Inverter
It is interesting to know that the EN548 is the first power inverter that incorporates 9.6A of USB charging capability. It can be permanently installed through the use of its built-in mounting post. The brand emphasizes its manufacture of high-quality products that offer a two-year warranty for parts and labor. The package includes one power inverter, a set of alligator clips, a cigarette lighter cable, and a user manual.
For its specifications, the Energizer offers 500W continuous inversion and peaks at 1000W. The model has been tested, validated, and approved for safety and performance by Intertek. Input voltage is set at 12V, and output voltage is set at 110V~120V. It also offers protection the user may need, such as overload, high temperature, and short circuits. Lastly, the model comes with an ultra-silent thermal fan.
- Features 4 port 48W USB
- Comes with a set of alligator clips and a cigarette lighter cable
- Approved for safety and performance
- Peak power is set at 1000W
- May become unreliable after a few months
- The product had complaints about its quality
3. Kriëger 1100 Watt 12V Power Inverter
It took five years of research and development for Kriëger to produce the smallest 1100W power inverter. This model can power up tools, small appliances, and a lot more. It offers unmatched performance as the inverters are strategically designed to handle inductive loads. In addition, the brand offers a three-year warranty for its parts and labor.
For its specifications, power is set at 1100W continuous capacity, and it peaks at 2200W. You cannot go wrong with the Kriëger as they have been tested and approved by METLAB for performance and safety. Input voltage is set at 12V DC while the output voltage is set at 110V~120V. It features dual USB 2.1A shared and an LCD display that indicates input voltage, output wattage, and battery level.
Lastly, the Kriëger set comes with an 1100W power inverter and a set of 3 FT 4 gauge cables. To add, the set includes a remote control, an in-line fuse, and a user manual for the instructions.
- 1100W continuous power flow and peaks at 2200W
- Tested, validated, and approved by METLAB
- The brand offers three-year warranty
- Features dual USB 2.1A
- Can burn up after a few months of use
- Might not last long
4. Power Bright PW2300-12 Power Inverter 2300W
The Power Bright Power Inverter is a heavy-duty product that you can plug directly into a 12V direct current battery. This will enable you to power up televisions, laptops, game consoles, small appliances and other gadgets in your vehicle. This power inverter features 2300W continuous power and it peaks at 4600W.
The power inverter’s case is made from anodized aluminum for outstanding durability. It also features a LED display that indicates input voltages and output wattages. It has a built-in cooling fan, an internal 30A fuse, and an overload indicator. Another great feature of the Power Bright is that it has an audible low-voltage alarm. It will shut down in case there is a power overload, short-circuiting and other thermal problems.
- Features a built-in cooling fan
- 2300W continuous power and peak power is 4600W
- LED display indicates input and output wattages
- Features an audible alarm for low-voltage
- Cables are sold separately
- Can easily blow up
Types of Power Inverters for Car
There are several types of power inverters that you should know about, and we are going to discuss three of them. This section is also important as it can help you narrow down your choices towards choosing the best power inverter for your car.
- Single Outlet Inverters – These are simple and cheap devices that provide a continuous current capacity of 150W to 200W. These are smaller and are more compact allowing easy storage and transport. To add, only one device can be charged at one time, so you won’t have to worry about overloading.
- Multiple Outlet Inverters – These are more expensive and larger than single outlet inverters. With this, they have higher continuous current capacity compared to the single outlet. They feature multiple outlets that enable you to power up multiple gadgets at the same time.
- USB Outlets – USB ports allow its users to power up gadgets such as smartphones, tablets, and other USB-capable devices. The same amount of power is consumed if you plug a device into the USB port and a standard outlet. One downside is that it cannot power up most household appliances without a standard outlet.
Essential Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Power Inverter for a Car
Before we finish this discussion, let’s talk about what makes a good power inverter first. This is essential, especially if you are having a difficult time choosing among the five presented above.
- Features – Factors such as the amount of continuous power the inverter can provide are important features to consider. Most inverters run on 150W-200W, so you have to evaluate based on the top five picks in the previous sections.
- Safety – Some inverters have the capability of shutting down automatically before they reach the overloading point. You have to choose one that can offer you protection from overheating, overloading, and short-circuiting. Some models have displays that indicate input and output voltages, and they can be very useful. In addition, built-in fans are also essential to avoid overheating.
- Design – Many of the recommendations above feature a compact design that makes it very easy to transport and store. It is recommended that you pick the one that which will be very convenient to use. Take note of the material the product is made, as an indication of the quality of the power inverter.
- Number of Outlets – This should also be considered before making a purchase. It is important to check first if how many outlets are required for the power inverter to work.
- Peak Capacity – Some power inverters feature 2000W average continuous power inversion. Choose one that can power up bigger appliances if you need to make use of its convenience while traveling.
- Price – How much a power inverter costs is a factor to consider before making the actual purchase. In order to effectively evaluate, weigh each product’s pros and cons and pick the one that benefits you the most. After that, you may relate their features to the price indicated in the tag.
- Warranty – If the product is of high quality, the brand will be most likely to offer longer periods of warranty on parts. Some brands presented above offer up to a three-year warranty, which is an assurance that you’re buying the best. You have to choose the product that you can avail of the warranty for a longer period of time.
- Durability – The power inverter that you choose must be able to endure harsh environments. It should not break if exposed to extreme heat and this may come in handy especially on a road trip.
We have discussed everything you have to know about power inverter for car. Now it’s up to you to decide which makes great value for the price you pay. Choosing the best power inverter for car may be tricky, but with this guide, it should be very easy. You just have to weigh each product’s pros and cons to come up with a more informed decision. We hope we gave you some enlightenment regarding power inverter for car.
Are you also looking for products you can hook up with your vehicle? Click here to find out more products that are available in the market right now.