In recent years, it is undeniable that off-road lighting has enjoyed a soar in popularity. It is used in many trucks not only for aesthetic purposes, but also for a safe driving experience. When you are in dark environments, it provides auxiliary lighting to illuminate the way, making sure that you will have a clear vision of what is ahead of you.
It is pretty much obvious that the market is saturated with options for the best off-road lights. Making an intelligent decision will never be an easy feat, especially if you are buying one for the first time. To help you out, I have written this guide that aims to provide insights on how to choose and what to pick.
Why Do You Need Off-Road Lights?
For a lot of people, buying an off-road light is not a priority, given the fact that it can be costly. Nonetheless, given its many benefits, you will easily realize that the cost will be worth it. With this, below are some of the things that can convince you to purchase one:
- Improved Safety: Especially when driving at night, using an off-road light can result to dramatic difference. It will provide illumination in dark places, making sure that your vision will be clear.
- Provides Emergency Lighting: When the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and you have to perform basic repair, off-road lights will be to the rescue. This means that you can easily work on the problem.
- Improved Aesthetic Appeal: Off-road lights are available in a variety of sizes, designs, and shapes. They can be installed in different parts of the car. With this, it can also do a lot to improve the physical appearance of your vehicle.
Where Should You Place your Off-Road Lights?
It is also important to decide on where you will have to position the lights, which is essential in deciding which one is the best choice. In this case, the following are your choices:
- Above the Windshield: This is perhaps the most popular because it does not only look good, but it also produces optimal light output. It creates a bad-ass look, but its installation tends to be a bit difficult.
- Lower Windshield: For smaller light bars and pods, this can prove to be an excellent position. For bigger lights, this position won’t work well. In most cases, installing in this location will not require the use of additional mounts.
- Front Bumper: This off-road light will complement the function of your car’s headlights. Wiring at this location is easy, making it the best for beginners. Nonetheless, because it is in the same level as your headlight, the output may not be that evident.
How to Choose the Best Off-Road Headlights
To make it easier for you to decide which one is the best from the available options, you have to consider the following factors:
- Type of Light: Not all off-road lights are the same. Different types have different sets of pros and cons. With this, the following are some of the options that you will have:
- LED: This is the most popular, which is known for its long life and energy efficiency. Most of the LED lights can last for more than 50,000 hours and they won’t consume too much of your car’s battery. Nonetheless, it can be quite expensive compared to its counterparts.
- High-Intensity Discharge: Also known as HID, its lifespan is more than 2,000 hours. One problem, however, is that it can have dirty lenses, which can produce glare and affect clarity of vision.
- Halogen: In most headlights, this is the type of bulb that is used. It is known for its low cost, but the downside is that the lifespan is only about 1,000 hours on average.
- Light Pattern: Especially for LED off-road lights, the pattern of the light is also important. You can choose from:
- Floodlight: The beam width can be anywhere from 40 to 120 degrees. Its reach is not that far when compared to a spotlight.
- Spotlight: This kind of light comes with a narrow beam that can reach a longer distance, making it create a more powerful light output.
- Combo: This will allow you to take advantage of the two types of beam patterns, allowing you to take advantage of their benefits.
- Installation: When choosing the best off-road lights, you need to consider how easy it is to install. You won’t need the help of a mechanic to accomplish the task. See to it that the manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions.
- Durability: You have to choose off-road lights with excellent waterproof rating. It must also be dust-proof. The mounting brackets, on the other hand, must be able to resist corrosion and rust, among other external factors that can affect it overall quality.
Top Picks for the Best Off-Road Lights
In this section. I will identify five of the products that you might want to look at, as well as their top features. I will also list down a few of their pros and cons, which will help you to narrow down the possibilities.
From the best-off road lights that have been briefly reviewed above, which one is the best? If you ask for my personal opinion, I would say Auxbeam 1800LM LED Light Bar is the best. It has long-lasting and bright LEDs that can provide optimal illumination in the absence of causing eye strain, resulting in a safer driving experience.
Are there other products that you want to buy for your car or truck? Click here and our buying guides will provide you with valuable insights on which one to choose.