Many of you may not realize how important a header wrap is. It provides more than cosmetic benefits. In a nutshell, it helps in the management of the heat in the exhaust system, which results to the better performance of your car. Its performance benefits will make it a worthy investment for any car enthusiast.
Unsure about what is the best header wrap that is available in the market? Clueless on what to buy? We’ll make your life a lot easier by sharing valuable insights in the rest of this post. You will learn more about the benefits of using header wraps and more importantly, we’ll list down the top options that should be part of your list.
Best Header Wrap: An Effective Way to Contain Heat
What is a Header Wrap and Why Do You Need It?
A lot of people may think that a header wrap is just an unnecessary expense. It is very easy to make such an assumption if you are unaware of what it actually is and what it can do for your car or motorcycle. Once you know its importance, however, you will realize that you will need it.
For many years, the wrapping of exhaust systems has been a common practice, although it has also been a subject of many debates. For those who believe in its effectiveness, it is necessary not only in heat management and improving performance, but also in the prevention of burns that can result from the exhaust system.
There are also cosmetic benefits that can be reaped from the use of the best header wrap. For this reason, you also need to consider aesthetics and material of the wrap. This is especially important when the wrap will be used for motorcycles as it will be highly-visible.
Temperature reduction is on the top of the list of the benefits that one can enjoy from the use of header wraps. When the heat is reduced, it can give way to other benefits, such as the improvement of the efficiency of the engine. It also offers protection from the external environment that could speed up wear and tear. This will also increase the horsepower of the engine.
With the use of the wrapper, the thermal energy will be retained in the exhaust system. Another benefit is the reduction of gas density. In turn, there will be a scavenging effect that will inevitably result to lower intake temperature and higher power. Again, the bottom line is that the use of the header wrap is an excellent way to improve the performance of the vehicle.
As a key takeaway from the discussions above, YES, you need a header wrap. Nonetheless, this does not mean that you can choose any product and enjoy the same benefits.
Main Materials for Header Wrap
Not all exhaust wraps are created the same. They can differ in terms of their performance and functionality. This will depend on the brand and product that you will choose. Another thing that will have an impact on the outcomes would be the materials that are used. In this case, the following are some of the options worth considering:
- Fiberglass: This is the most common from the materials that are available for a header wrap. It is made from glass strands that are woven to form the wrap. If it is untreated, it can handle temperature that is up to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is treated, on the other hand, the maximum temperature that it can handle will be higher.
- Basalt: This is a group of material that can include titanium, carbon fiber, and lava rock, among others. It is a pulverized material that is fibrous. It is treated to become solid and strong. It can also be coated with different materials, making it possible to handle higher temperature.
Essential Considerations in Choosing the Best Exhaust Wrap
As you try to narrow down the possibilities, below are some of the most important things that you need to take into consideration:
- Material: Earlier, we have discussed some of the most common materials that are available. You should exert effort to determine the pros and cons of each material, which will be essential in determining which one is the best.
- Installation: You do not need a helping hand from the pros to complete the installation of the header wrap. Look for one that is user-friendly. See to it as well that the manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions.
- Performance: This is one of the critical considerations before making a purchase. You need to make sure that it will be effective in managing extreme temperature and in providing the highest level of protection for the exhaust system. Most of them can handle temperature from 1,000 to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit depending on whether it is direct or radiant heat.
- Size: You also need to consider how much of an exhaust wrap will be needed for the job. See to it that the package has more than enough for your needs to avoid the need to purchase another one.
- Feedbacks: After considering all the things above, you will also have to read the reviews from other people. This will help you to narrow down the possibilities. Consider the experiences of real users to see how one product is different from the other.
Our Top Picks for the Best Header Wrap
Below are five of the products that you might want to consider. To convince you that they are amongst the best, we’ll also briefly tackle their notable features, as well as their pros and cons.
Among other things, the material used in this header wrap is one of its best assets. It is made mainly from fiber material, which is the wrapper of the pulverized lava rock. The material of choice makes it versatile enough to deliver a high level of effectiveness in all automobile applications.
Another good thing about this header wrap is that the material delivers high resistance to wear and tear. It has protection from external damages, such as those that can be caused by heat, oil spills, vibration, and abrasion.
Does it work? Of course! We are recommending this option if you want to see effective results. In fact, you can expect heat reduction by as much as 50%. As noted earlier, because of the benefits of using header wrap, it can improve the performance of your vehicle.
- Perfect option for budget-conscious buyers
- Comes with great stainless steel ties
- Heavy-duty construction
- Does not suffer from discoloration as a result of heat
- Strands of fiberglass can get everywhere
- Installation can be quite tricky
This header wrap is not only affordable, but it also has premium construction, making it last for a long time. It may not be the easiest to install, but it can guarantee effective heat reduction in your exhaust.
Whether you opt to use this header wrap for cars or motorcycle, you can expect nothing but the best outcomes. It is excellent in terms of aesthetics. More importantly, the ability to reduce heat is second to none, which is even made better by the fact that it comes with an affordable price.
One thing worth noting about this heat wrap is that it can withstand direct temperature that is up to 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit. On the other hand, for radiant heat, it can withstand up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit. With the use of this wrap, you can anticipate heat reduction by as much as 50%.
Lastly, this is also excellent in terms of versatility. You can expect universal it for this header wrap, making it useful in more ways than one.
- Comes with a low price
- Effortless installation even for beginners
- Has a classic look
- Excellent stainless steel ties
- May be easily prone to discoloration
- Some might find it to be too thin
For a header wrap that is easy on the wallet, this should be on the top of your list. There is no need for beginners to worry since its installation can be accomplished in a snap. When it comes to performance, expect heat reduction by as much as 50%.
This is another option that is effective in keeping the temperature of the engine down. The package is inclusive of eight packs of 2x50 titanium wraps. To add, there are also 8-inch stainless steel locking ties.
It is also important to note that the main material used in the shield is crushed volcanic rock. This helps in the management of heat, making sure that it minimizes its impact on the engine or the exhaust system. Plus, such material is also resistant to external damages that could possibly speed up degradation.
The exhaust wrap will be effective in managing radiant heat that is up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit and direct heat that is up to 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Installation of the wrap can be accomplished quickly
- Made from a high-quality material
- There are zip ties with different lengths
- Offers a good mix of cost and performance
- Frayed edges possibly because of poor weaving
- Can produce a foul odor
With a shield that is made from crushed volcanic rock, this is another header wrap that promises heat reduction by as much as 50%.
With the use of this header wrap, it is possible to reduce intermittent heat by as much as 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit. In case of direct heat, on the other hand, it can withstand temperature that is up to 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit.
The LR technology in the wrap is one more thing that deserves to be given emphasis. The pulverized lava rock, which is the main material, can demonstrate exceptional strength, guaranteeing long-term-functionality.
It has an advanced carbon fiber look that gives it an excellent reputation in terms of cosmetics.
When it comes to installation, meanwhile, pre-wetting is not necessary, which will shorten the time that is required. To add, there is also no need to use silicone coating.
- Color stays great even after some time
- Wraps securely since material is extremely pliable
- Significantly reduces breakdown due to vibration
- High resistance from external damages
- Might easily disintegrate after wrapping
- High price
Made from excellent material and with the impressive ability to reduce heat, this is another option that you will love. It can withstand high temperatures, and best of all, it is also great in terms of cosmetics.
The high price of this kit is one thing that may instantly put some people off about the product. However, this should not be much of an issue. It is costly because unlike others, it comes as a kit. It is complete with everything that you will need to get the job done.
One of the things included in the kit is the High-Temp Silicone Coating Spray, which helps to enhance the performance of the exhaust system. Locking ties are also included, as well as two rolls of 2x50 feet of wraps.
With the use of this header wrap, you will not only enjoy cosmetic benefits, but also significant performance improvement, as well as protection from external elements like road dirt and debris.
- Comes in a kit complete with all the essentials
- Works as advertised
- Stays in a good condition even after a long time
- High price
- Minimal user reviews are available online
This kit might be expensive, but there is a reason for such. It has everything that will be necessary to install the wrap, including a silicone coating spray.
The best header wrap is indeed necessary for improved performance and protection. What should you buy? If you will ask for my suggestion, I would say that DEI 010127 Titanium Exhaust Wrap stands out. It might be a bit expensive, but considering its superior quality, the price is sure to be worth it.
Looking for other products? Click here and let our buying guides enlighten you on what to buy.