Many of you may not realize how important a header wrap is. It provides more than cosmetic benefits. In a nutshell, it helps in the management of the heat in the exhaust system, which results to the better performance of your car. Its performance benefits will make it a worthy investment for any car enthusiast.
Unsure about what is the best header wrap that is available in the market? Clueless on what to buy? We’ll make your life a lot easier by sharing valuable insights in the rest of this post. You will learn more about the benefits of using header wraps and more importantly, we’ll list down the top options that should be part of your list.
What is a Header Wrap and Why Do You Need It?
A lot of people may think that a header wrap is just an unnecessary expense. It is very easy to make such an assumption if you are unaware of what it actually is and what it can do for your car or motorcycle. Once you know its importance, however, you will realize that you will need it.
For many years, the wrapping of exhaust systems has been a common practice, although it has also been a subject of many debates. For those who believe in its effectiveness, it is necessary not only in heat management and improving performance, but also in the prevention of burns that can result from the exhaust system.
There are also cosmetic benefits that can be reaped from the use of the best header wrap. For this reason, you also need to consider aesthetics and material of the wrap. This is especially important when the wrap will be used for motorcycles as it will be highly-visible.
Temperature reduction is on the top of the list of the benefits that one can enjoy from the use of header wraps. When the heat is reduced, it can give way to other benefits, such as the improvement of the efficiency of the engine. It also offers protection from the external environment that could speed up wear and tear. This will also increase the horsepower of the engine.
With the use of the wrapper, the thermal energy will be retained in the exhaust system. Another benefit is the reduction of gas density. In turn, there will be a scavenging effect that will inevitably result to lower intake temperature and higher power. Again, the bottom line is that the use of the header wrap is an excellent way to improve the performance of the vehicle.
As a key takeaway from the discussions above, YES, you need a header wrap. Nonetheless, this does not mean that you can choose any product and enjoy the same benefits.
Main Materials for Header Wrap
Not all exhaust wraps are created the same. They can differ in terms of their performance and functionality. This will depend on the brand and product that you will choose. Another thing that will have an impact on the outcomes would be the materials that are used. In this case, the following are some of the options worth considering:
- Fiberglass: This is the most common from the materials that are available for a header wrap. It is made from glass strands that are woven to form the wrap. If it is untreated, it can handle temperature that is up to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is treated, on the other hand, the maximum temperature that it can handle will be higher.
- Basalt: This is a group of material that can include titanium, carbon fiber, and lava rock, among others. It is a pulverized material that is fibrous. It is treated to become solid and strong. It can also be coated with different materials, making it possible to handle higher temperature.
Essential Considerations in Choosing the Best Exhaust Wrap
As you try to narrow down the possibilities, below are some of the most important things that you need to take into consideration:
- Material: Earlier, we have discussed some of the most common materials that are available. You should exert effort to determine the pros and cons of each material, which will be essential in determining which one is the best.
- Installation: You do not need a helping hand from the pros to complete the installation of the header wrap. Look for one that is user-friendly. See to it as well that the manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions.
- Performance: This is one of the critical considerations before making a purchase. You need to make sure that it will be effective in managing extreme temperature and in providing the highest level of protection for the exhaust system. Most of them can handle temperature from 1,000 to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit depending on whether it is direct or radiant heat.
- Size: You also need to consider how much of an exhaust wrap will be needed for the job. See to it that the package has more than enough for your needs to avoid the need to purchase another one.
- Feedbacks: After considering all the things above, you will also have to read the reviews from other people. This will help you to narrow down the possibilities. Consider the experiences of real users to see how one product is different from the other.
Our Top Picks for the Best Header Wrap
Below are five of the products that you might want to consider. To convince you that they are amongst the best, we’ll also briefly tackle their notable features, as well as their pros and cons.
The best header wrap is indeed necessary for improved performance and protection. What should you buy? If you will ask for my suggestion, I would say that DEI 010127 Titanium Exhaust Wrap stands out. It might be what your looking for since it has it seems to be a good quality item, it may be be worth buying.
Looking for other products? Click here and let our buying guides enlighten you on what to buy.