There are several requirements for vehicles to deliver their peak performance, such as a well-maintained engine. In the case of the latter, one of the things that you will need is an engine air filter, which has the primary function of ensuring the supply of clean and filtered air. It removes the debris from the fluid that goes through the engine and protects the latter from wear and tear.
With the wealth of options for the best engine air filters, deciding which one to buy can be a challenging task. To help you make the right decision, keep on reading the rest of this post and I will share some practical tips to narrow down the options and list down some of the best products that you should include in your list of choices.
Importance of Changing Engine Air Filter
Replacing an old engine air filter should be part of routine maintenance. It should not be seen as an expense but as a necessary investment. Here are some of the reasons why you might need to have a new engine air filter:
- Ensures Peak Performance: This is perhaps one thing that could sum up the benefits of changing engine air filters. This will enhance engine performance, making it run more efficiently.
- Improves Fuel Efficiency: The cost of buying a new engine air filter can be justified by the long-term savings that it can provide. When your engine air filter is cleaned, the car consumes less fuel without the need to sacrifice its performance.
- Removes Impurities: Similar to other types of filter, they have the primary function of removing contaminants in the system, including soot and dirt. This not only benefits performance but also lessens wear and tear. This lengthens the life of the engine and its different components.
- Reduces Emissions: If you are concerned about the environment and if you want to become a responsible driver, you need to change your engine air filters from time to time. The latter prevents toxic emissions that could harm the planet.
When to Change an Air Filter
Especially for those who are new to cars and often rely on their mechanic for most common problems, it is common to be clueless on when exactly engine air filters should be replaced. There are different factors that will have an effect on the answer to this question, such as the car that you have and specific driving conditions.
Different vehicle manufacturers will have different recommendations on when a replacement is warranted. It is recommended that you replace them at least once a year or after running about 15,000 to 30,000 miles. If you live in the country and if the roads are dirty, you might need to change more often as the filter can easily get clogged.
There are also different signs that you should look out for, such as when the gas mileage is significantly reduced. Fouled spark plugs and having difficulty in starting the car are also problems that could possibly be indicative of the need for new engine air filters.
How to Choose the Best Engine Air Filter
There are countless brands that will confront you, but this should not be taken as an excuse to buy just anything. To help you narrow down the possibilities, here are some of the most important considerations:
- Ease of Installation: See to it that the manufacturer provides clear instructions on how you can install the air filter. It should be one thing that you can do on your own instead of paying a mechanic to do such a simple task.
- Durability: The overall construction of the product is also a critical concern. What is the main material that is used? Can it survive wear and tear? These are some of the questions to ask to determine how well the filter can keep up with the demands of the engine system.
- Effectiveness: This would refer to its ability to filter impurities in the engine. To know if it is effective, you have to read online reviews and use the experiences of other people to list down the best options.
- Compatibility: It is also important to note the fact that engine air filters do not offer universal compatibility. Before you buy, make sure that its size is appropriate for your car so that your money will not end up being wasted.
- Warranty: Most of them will have a warranty that lasts for a year. Within such period, if there are defects or issues, let the manufacturer know and they can offer free repair or replacement, depending on their policies.
How to Change Engine Air Filter
After selecting an engine air filter, your next concern is how to have it installed. It is quite a straightforward process, which you can accomplish by following the steps briefly mentioned below:
- Start by making sure that you are safe. See to it that the car is parked properly. Turn off the engine and allow it to cool down for a few minutes. Otherwise, you might end up being burnt.
- Find the engine air filter that will be replaced. It is usually in an air box housing with an attached hose.
- Loosen the clamp that connects the hose to the cover of the air filter. Take it out and clean the case to get rid of dirt that might have accumulated on the surface.
- Remove the old air filter and replace it with a new one. Insert it into the housing with the surface facing up. Make sure that the edges are sealed.
- Insert the cover back on its original position. Press it firmly and put back the screws or nuts.
Short Reviews of the Best Engine Air Filters
Here are the products that can provide the best bang for the buck, as well as some of the reasons why they are well-received in the marketplace.
With five of the best engine filters that have been briefly discussed above, which is the winner? If you will ask for my personal opinion, EPAuto GP013 Engine Air Filter is the top pick. From installation to price to performance, it has clearly outweighed the four other products.
Are you looking for premium car products? If yes, click here and read some of our buying guides to help you be enlightened as you decide which one to purchase.