For a lot of people, especially those who do not have extensive technical knowledge when it comes to cars, they often think that an exhaust resonator is the same as the muffler. While the two are critical components of the exhaust system, they are different. One should not be considered as the replacement for the other. Rather, the best exhaust resonator must complement the functions of the muffler.
Thinking about what exhaust resonator to purchase? Curious about the what exactly a resonator is? Do you want to know how you can find the best one? Keep on reading the rest of this post and I will help you to come up with a well-informed decision, which also means that you will be provided with the best bang for the buck.
What is an Exhaust Resonator?
To start this guide, let us first talk about what exactly an exhaust resonator is and what makes it different from a muffler. When the car runs, the internal combustion engine will create noise, which will be easily noticeable when the cars are on the road. It can be annoying to hear such. After all, the only sound that you surely want to hear is one that comes from your high-quality car speakers and not from the exhaust system. This is where the resonator enters the picture.
Basically, an exhaust resonator is an echo chamber attached to the exhaust system, which has the primary goal of reducing the loud noise produced by the engine as it runs. However, if you become more interested in technology, you will learn that the exhaust resonator does not simply work by removing the sound. Rather, it modifies the sound, and in the end, making it appear quieter.
An exhaust muffler also deadens the sound, right? While the muffler also has the same function, it is not the same as the resonator. The latter is often called the pre-muffler because it is installed before the muffler. This means that the muffler and resonator are complementary of each other and not the substitutes.
Through the installation of a resonator, exhaust drone can be significantly reduced. Now, you are probably wondering what exactly exhaust drone is. Simply speaking, this is the loud humming noise that is produced by the exhaust when it is new. Such noise can give you a headache and nausea when you are driving.
Benefits of Exhaust Resonator
Here are some of the benefits that can be yielded from the installation of a resonator in your exhaust system:
- Reduces Noise: This is the main function of the resonator, as it has been pointed out earlier. This will significantly lessen the annoying sound produced by your car, especially when the engine is revving at high speed. This is good not only for the driver and the passenger but also for people around.
- Improves Engine Performance: Another good thing about having exhaust resonator is that it allows you to drive smoothly. This minimizes the friction and will make the engine perform at its best all the time. It is effective in the reduction of engine back pressure, and in turn, improving performance.
To fully enjoy these benefits, it is important to remember that it should be installed along with a muffler. Otherwise, there will still be annoyingly loud sound.
Essential Factors to Consider when Buying
Looking for the best exhaust resonator on the market? To make the right choice, here are some of the most important things that should be taken into account:
- Reviews: Like in the case of buying any other car parts, it would be best to first consult the opinions and experiences of other people. Go online and search for their feedbacks. This is a good way to easily narrow down the possibilities and to see which one is a good choice. As you read reviews, make sure to look at what others are sharing about the effectiveness of the resonator, especially with regards to the amount of sound that is reduced with its use.
- Price: Your budget is also an essential consideration. Work out on how much you can spend for an exhaust resonator, and this will be an easy way to determine which ones are within the budget and which ones are not. At all times, however, do not choose a product only because it is the one with the cheapest price. Quality should be more important.
- Structure: This will refer to the way the exhaust resonator is designed. Consequently, this will have an impact on the way it will perform. More often than not, there is a hollow steel tube, which will serve as the connection to the muffler and the exhaust system of your vehicle.
- Installation: You should also look for one that is effortless to install. You do not necessarily have to work with a pro to complete its assembly. There should be comprehensive instructions and it must be complete with everything that you will need to complete its setup.
- Size: From the length of the diameter, you also have to make sure that the exhaust resonator comes with the right size. It should be appropriate for the exhaust system that you have and for the muffler that is currently installed.
- Material: It is also important to evaluate the material that is used in the exhaust resonator. It should be long-lasting, making it a great investment. Most importantly, it should be effective in the suppression of noise from the exhaust system. Among others, stainless steel is perhaps one of the most popular materials. It is known for excellent resistance from corrosion, which can be effective in prolonging the lifespan.
- Installation Kit: There are some exhaust resonators that are sold on its own while others are sold with everything else that you will need, such as flanges and brackets. The latter is better because there is no need to be burdened with the need to look for compatible attachments that will be needed in the assembly of the resonator.
Top Picks for the Best Exhaust Resonator
Cummins Northwest, Inc
SLP Performance Parts
If you are looking for the best in the marketplace, here are some of the options that you might want to consider, as well as the features that they have.
The best exhaust resonator is one of the essentials for your car. Along with the muffler, this can be effective in reducing the annoying sound that is produced by the engine as you drive. To add, it is also effective in improving the performance of the engine. Nonetheless, not all of the products can deliver the same optimal functionality and superior quality. With this, you should spend time in evaluating the alternatives. Or better yet, narrow down your choices to the five products that we have briefly reviewed above.
Are there other products that you need for your car? Click here and learn more about other parts and accessories that you may find interesting.