A shock absorber has only one major task to perform, which is to stop the car from bouncing now and then. Though it is a small task to perform, it is one of the major things that are very much important. The shock absorbers work in such a manner that they reduce the magnitude of the vibrating motions by simply converting the kinetic energy into the heat energy.
It is very important to know how to jump start the car when you get stuck in an unknown location. Also, it is highly advisable to know about replacing the front shocks in the car because if they ever get in bad condition, you should be able to replace with much ease.
How to replace the front shocks in the car?
There are three different steps that you have to follow when it comes to replacing the front shocks in the car.
Step 1: Starting the procedure
1. Making sure that you have new shocks:
If your car doesn’t get well with the potholes, then it is an indication that the front shocks need replacement and for that, you must have new front shocks. Before you start replacing the shocks, it is necessary to know the type of shocks that are attached to the suspension. Also, keep in mind that using struts is little difficult, so it is not necessary to use them.
2. Buying the shock absorbers:
Before you end up buying the wrong absorbers, it is important to talk to the local mechanics, which will help you in finding the perfect one for your car.
3. Upgrading the shocks:
You can also upgrade your old shock absorbers into some of the following shocks:
- Twin tube
4. Jacking up the vehicle properly:
When everything is in order, the next major step includes jacking up the vehicle properly by loosening the nuts from the front as well as the end. You can also check the owner’s manual if you have any confusion.
5. Checking the shock mountings and spraying them:
One of the most difficult steps in replacing the front shocks is to remove the old shocks. It is because they sometimes become junky with the passing age and the road grit and so they make it difficult for the bushings and the bolts to disengage from their original place. It is important to check whether the mountings are loose or tight and also check the rubber that is present around the brushing. You can also very easily spray the WD 40 to loosen the things very quickly.
Step 2: Removing the old shocks
After the jacking of the vehicle is complete, it is necessary to remove the old shocks from the car. This second step involves the following tasks:
- Removing the shocks from the tower: In many of the cars, it is necessary to lift up the lining of the car to get in touch with the shock bolts and then remove it carefully with the help of ratchet and sockets. You can always feel free to consult the mechanic if you have any confusion and to get even more specific guidelines. To remove the shocks from the car, you have to turn the socket and the ratchet in the counter clockwise direction and along with that, grease the nuts. Most of the times, the shock tower bolts are present in the trunk of the car.
- Disconnecting the shocks: You can make use of a socket set to disconnect the nuts that connect the shock with the suspension. In some of the cars, it is important even to remove the knuckles at the top of the brake.
- Removing the shock absorber from the top as well as the bottom: It is sometimes very difficult to remove the shock from the bolts when they are mounted on the studs.
It is advisable to make use of the locking pliers on the end of the rod so that the piston rod does not keep on turning when you are loosening the nut. You can also bang on the bolt with the help of a hammer, but you have to make sure that you keep the nuts in their place after the work is done.
It is not at all advisable to misalign the bolts, and if you think that you have already misaligned the bolts, then it is highly advisable to consult a mechanic and not to try yourself to align the bolts again.
Step 3: Installing new shocks
After you complete removing the old shock absorbers from the car, the next step involves:
- Fitting the new shock onto the suspension: When you start fitting the new shock onto the suspension, it is necessary to note that at that time you might need some pressure to constrict the shock so that it falls in the correct place. Also, while performing this step, there are chances that you may need some help while lifting the suspension so that you can reinstall the bolts in appropriate position? Lastly, it is very important that you screw the nuts very tightly, or else they might come off while you are on a drive and this will cause you many difficulties.
- Fixing the anti-roll bar: If in any case, you have removed the anti-roll bar in the beginning, then it is time to fix the bar in its place again. It is important to note that you just don’t have to place the anti-roll bar in its position back but also have to screw the bolts tight so that it is fixed. Also, you have to replace the shock nuts that you might have removed at the beginning of the process.
- Checking for the torque specs: The last step involves checking for the specifications of the torque so that everything is in its place once again. It is important to check for the specifications before you fix up everything.
If you own a car, then the most important thing is to carry the essential garage tools with you all the time. If in case your car stops in an unknown location, you must know how to jump start the car once again.
It is also very important to know about replacing the front shocks in the car as they will prevent the car from bouncing on every jumper. It is necessary to know about everything, starting right from the buying of new shock absorbers to replacing and fixing them in place.