If you have a truck, the best tonneau cover is a must-have. It can serve a variety of purposes, such as the protection of your cargo and the improvement of the aesthetics of the truck bed. It can be made from different materials and can have varying designs. The options will surely be abundant, but this does not mean that any product can provide the best bang for the buck.
In the rest of this post, I will help you choose the tonneau cover that is perfect for your needs. Do not be tempted to choose one product only because it is cheap or it looks good. You have to be responsible enough to scrutinize its overall quality and to look at what other people have to say, providing you an assurance of making the right decision.
|Product (Amazon Links)
|Image (Amazon Links)
Gator Tri-Fold Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
Benefits of Having Tonneau Cover
Many people would most probably have hesitations in investing in a tonneau cover, assuming that this is an unnecessary expense. Nonetheless, as it is shown in the reasons enumerated below, this can be a good thing to have as it can be beneficial in more ways than one:
- Improved Aesthetics: Looking for a quick way to boost the appeal of your truck? A tonneau cover is one of the simplest solutions that you might want to consider. It will allow you to customize the look of your vehicle.
- Weather Protection: If you have cargo at the back of your truck and if you want it to be protected from harsh heat, rain, or snow, among other external factors, using a tonneau cover is sure to be a handy solution.
- Improved Security: Keep your things away from the prying eyes of the public by having them covered. If it is out of sight, it will be less prone to theft, especially when your truck is parked in an open space.
- Improved Gas Efficiency: This is one benefit that is often overlooked by many people. The tonneau cover comes with an aerodynamic design. This will result in less air drag, and hence, your truck will consume less gas while running.
Types of Tonneau Cover
Before you decide which one is best for your needs, it is important that you are aware of the different styles that are available:
- Roll-Up Cover: This cover is similar to a mat, which can be rolled all the way through the end. They are easy to install since no drilling will be required, and they are also known for being an affordable option.
- Retractable Cover: A lot of people love this because it is convenient and user-friendly. It is similar to a roll-up cover, although they utilize a different mechanism for opening and closing.
- Hinged Cover: Essentially, this is like a lid that covers the truck bed. It should be lifted to open the truck bed and it can be locked if you want it to remain in an open position.
- Folding Cover: Depending on the design, these covers can be folded once, twice, or even thrice. There are different folding points, making it easy to control how much part of the back of the truck remains open.
- Snap Cover: As one of the oldest and most affordable types, this cover has snaps that are attached to the rail of the truck to secure its position.
Choosing the Best Tonneau Cover
As you try to narrow down the possibilities on the market, here are some of the most important things that you need to consider:
- Materials: From the surface to the frame of the snaps, you have to evaluate the cover on the basis of the materials that are used. These materials should be long-lasting. They should also be able to resist external elements that can speed up damage, such as rain and snow.
- Style: As noted, a tonneau cover will be helpful in improving the aesthetics of your truck. Because of this, consider the style of the product that you will choose and see to it that it has a pleasing design.
- Installation: Choose a tonneau cover that is as user-friendly as possible. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions so that you can easily complete its assembly. The kit must also be inclusive of everything that you will need to install the cover.
- Compatibility: It should be noted that not all tonneau covers will be compatible with all trucks. This makes it important to look at the specifications of the product to be sure that the length and width will be suitable for the size of your trunk. Otherwise, you will end up putting your money to waste.
- Warranty: As much as possible, look for a product that comes with lifetime warranty coverage. This means that at any point, if the cover shows any sign of defect, you can return it to the manufacturer, and they will have it returned or replaced, depending on their terms and conditions.
Top Picks for the Best Tonneau Cover
In this section, you will learn more about some of the best products available on the market, as well as the things that give them an edge over their competitors.
1. Tyger Auto TG-BC3D1015 Tonneau Cover
Among others, one thing that makes this an exceptional product is the material that is used. The cover is made of marine-grade vinyl, which is known for being long-lasting. If you want one that can withstand the test of time, this is a fool-proof choice.
The clamps, on the other hand, are made of stainless steel. Even with such a material, there are some who noted that the durability is questionable. To make it last longer, care and maintenance will be necessary.
When it comes to installation, many are also happy. The manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions so that there will be less room for mistakes. The kit also includes all the things that will be needed for the assembly. There is no drilling required. Even if you are not a pro, the installation is sure to be a snap.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the cover comes with an unbeatable lifetime warranty. This means that the product is covered all throughout its life, which should be more than enough to provide you with peace of mind.
- Comes with everything needed for installation
- Made from durable materials
- Drilling is not required
- Some might not like the texture of the material
- The clamp may break easily
Despite some complaints, this tonneau cover is a top-rated option, making it provide the best value for money. The material on the cover is long-lasting, and the kit includes the things that will be needed to complete its assembly.
2. MaxMate Tri-fold Tonneau Cover
The use of superior materials is one reason why this is a well-loved product. The cover is made of marine-grade vinyl, although some would love the material to be harder. The frames, on the other hand, are made from powder-coated aluminum. Meanwhile, the clamps are made of stainless steel.
Because of the sleek design of the cover, the manufacturer states that it can lead to up to 12% gas savings. If you have a long-term perspective, you will realize that this will indeed be a big amount, all because you have chosen to use such a cover.
In terms of design, it is also a good thing that it can be folded three times. This makes it offer versatility in how it is used. You can open only a small portion of the trunk when you do not need to open the entire cover.
To demonstrate a belief in the superior quality of their product, the manufacturer is also offering a warranty that lasts for ten years. They will provide free repair of the product if it proves to be defective within the warranty period.
- Comes pre-assembled for easier installation
- Made of high-quality materials
- Extensive warranty coverage
- The cover may lack hardness for some
- Possible sizing issues
This cover can given the fact that it is made of premium materials and has extensive warranty coverage, it is sure to be worth your money.
3. BAK Industries 72309 F1 BakFlip Tonneau Cover
This tonneau cover is made of fiberglass-reinforced polymer. The top material is known for its exceptional durability, allowing it to withstand wear and tear. It is also scratch-resistant and will not be easily prone to dents. With such, expect that it will deliver impressive performance in all weather conditions, even in snow.
In terms of installation, you also have nothing to worry about this product. It comes with clamps, and all that you have to do is to attach it to your pick-up.
The flush aerodynamic design is also a plus, giving it a low-profile design. It is sleeker compared to many other covers that appear to be too thick.
The manufacturer is offering a three-year warranty on this product. This is shorter compared to the warranty of the two products that have been mentioned above.
- Durable construction
- Superior customer service
- Low profile design
- No universal compatibility
The first thing that you will notice in this tonneau cover is its design. Nonetheless, if you look at its overall quality and functionality, you will see that it may be just the one you are looking for.
4. Lund 96893 Genesis Tonneau Cover
The roll-up design of this product is one of its best features. You can control how much of the space at the back of the truck will be opened or closed. There are latch and Velcro hooks that are included in the kit.
More so, it is also worth noting that it is made with the use of high-quality materials. The twill weave fabric makes it last long. It has a black finish, which is great in terms of aesthetics.
Aside from being good-looking, the weather-resistant construction of this product is one more thing that should be noted. It can resist external elements, including UV rays, mold, and mildew, among other factors that can damage the surface.
The pre-assembled design of the tonneau cover is also a plus. This means that assembly will be a lot easier right out of the box.
Lastly, if you are still finding it hard to be convinced that this is a great choice, you might have a change of mind after knowing that the manufacturer is offering a limited lifetime warranty.
- Comes fully assembled
- Has an extensive warranty coverage
- Low-profile design
- May not be able to handle much snow weight
- Has a plastic clip that can easily break
Given its impressive warranty coverage and functional rolling design, this is another tonneau cover that should make your list of top choices.
5. Gator Tri-Fold Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
Simplicity and ease of use– these are two of the reasons why this is an option that deserves your attention. It has a simple design, yet the quality is not compromised in any way.
When it comes to the materials, the tarp cover is made of high-quality vinyl that can resist tear, which is indicative of its durability. There are also anodized aluminum frames, which are also great in terms of longevity.
Lastly, you will also love the fact that the manufacturer is offering a lifetime warranty on the product.
- Installation is easy to accomplish
- Fits a lot of trucks
- Has a great cover material
- Plastic connectors can be fragile
- The latch design can be improved
This may not be as popular as the four other products that have been mentioned above, but it is also a great pick, especially given the fact that it is user-friendly.
In sum, the best tonneau cover will be a great investment if you own a truck. It does not only improve aesthetics, but it is also a functional accessory. Nonetheless, to be happy with your purchase, you need to be careful in choosing which one to buy. From the materials to the design to the warranty, there are several factors that should come into play.