Winter brings a lot of challenges for many people. Aside from the chilling temperature, it also becomes harder to drive. Snow on the ground will make the driving condition different and there are risks that are involved. With this, there is one thing that can help – the use of the best tire chains.
If you are looking for tire chains to use, you will probably be overwhelmed with the abundance of the options that are available. This, however, should not be an excuse for you to pick just any product. In the rest of this post, learn about some important things that will help you to achieve the right decision. We will identify five of the best products that you can consider.
What is a Tire Chain?
Also called snow chains, they can prove to be handy during the winter months, making it easier and safer for you to drive around. They will be installed around the tire and their primary purpose is to improve traction. When there is snow or ice on the surface, the tire may not have a strong grip on the surface, which is exactly the reason why the use of chains will be a good idea.
These chains are often available in pairs. You have to figure out which one is suited for your tire as their sizes may vary. The styles can also be different, more of which will be tackled later on. While using tire chains can be beneficial in terms of traction, it should be noted that there can be problems when it comes to fuel efficiency and speed.
Types of Tire Chains
In your search for the best tire chains, the first thing that you have to do is to think about what specific type is needed. In this case, the following are the choices that you have:
- Entry Level: If you live in an area where there is occasional snow, this type will be more than enough.
- Standard: This is the right choice if there is regular snow or ice in your place.
- Premium: If there is snow daily and if you want to enjoy optimal traction, this should be on the top of your list.
- Alternative Traction: You should choose this if you will be driving shortly in an area with snow. This is also the right choice if you have a car that has low profile.
Aside from the intended use, the best tire chains can also be classified based on their configuration.
- Z Chain: If you are looking for simplicity, this is an option that may work. Its installation is quick and hassle-free. They are compatible with a wide array of tires and already inclusive of rubber tighteners.
- Radial Chain: If you are looking for optimal stopping and starting, this can prove to be a promising option. It comes with an all-steel construction, which will be instrumental of its durability.
Essential Factors to Consider when Buying
As you try to evaluate how one product is different from the other, you should take into account the factors that will be mentioned below:
- Size: One of the most important considerations is fitment. This means that its size should be appropriate for the size of your tires. If the chains are too big, this can end up banging on the surface of your car and will be unable to provide the traction that is required. If it is too small, on the other hand, it won’t fit at all.
- Installation: It is also important to look for one that can be installed in a snap. You do not the help of a pro to complete its assembly. The product should be easy to assemble. To add, it will also be good if there are comprehensive instructions from the manufacturer, making it easy for you to figure out how the installation can be completed.
- Price: A lot of people will probably decide on the basis of price. Many may be tempted to choose one product only because it comes with a cheap price. This is one thing that you should not do. Quality should be more important. It should not matter even if it is expensive if it is tantamount to enjoying the best within the product category.
- Link Pattern: Different tire chains can have different patterns, each with their respective purpose and benefits. If you want one that is designed specifically for slippery ground, diagonal link is a good choice. On the other hand, if durability and grip are important considerations, choose square link. Meanwhile, for on and off-road driving, ladderlike links will perform best.
- Durability: The best tire chains should be durable, which means that they must remain in their tip-top condition even through the years. Even if it is used frequently, it should not be easily prone to wear and tear. Otherwise, you will only be wasting your money and worse, your safety will be compromised.
- Reviews: If you are having a hard time reaching a decision, you can consult with the opinions of other people. A lot have been generous enough to go online and read reviews. This will be a good way to weigh the pros and cons of the possibilities.
Top Picks for the Best Tire Chains
Series 2300 - 232605
If you are having a hard time trying to figure out which one is the best, this section will identify five of the products that can provide the best bang for the buck.
Searching for the best tire chains can be overwhelming and challenging. Nonetheless, even if the options are never-ending, you should not be in a rush in making a decision. Consider the things that have been mentioned above and it will make things a lot easier. At all times, do not chose a product only because it comes with a low price. You should look beyond the cost. Make sure that it can offer excellent traction and that it will withstand long-term use.