Getting rid of rust is one thing that most car owners will be confronted with at one point or another. This can be a problem for various parts, including those that are hidden inside the car. In some cases, painting the exterior can help stop the spread of rust. Nonetheless, this may not always work. In some instances, the best thing to do is remove the rust with the best remover.
Rust removers that are available in the market can be classified in a number of ways, such as soaking rust removers, spray rust removers, and paint rust removers. When buying rust removers, make sure they have positive reviews, are cost-effective, and are safe and easy to use.
We will discuss the pros and cons of different rust removers and things to consider before buying one.
What is a Rust Remover?
To begin with, allow me to explain what a rust remover is. It can remove rust from the surface of the metal. If the metal is in fairly good condition but has rust, rust remover will help remove rust from steel and iron, usually without any harsh fumes.
Rust removals can work in different ways, depending on the specific brand that will be chosen. Once applied, some will transform rust into black or gray iron phosphate. In turn, this will result in the interruption of the rusting process.
When using some rust removers, one of the most important things to remember is that they may contain an acid formula that may be toxic. This makes it important to handle it with care or, better yet, choose those with no acid.
Body Repair Kit
Rust removers are likely to remove surface rust and help stop the spread of rust. Rust that has penetrated all the way through metal will need to be completely removed and replaced by replacing the part or substituting the metal for something else.
To learn about repairing larger areas of rust damage, look at this article – “How to Repair Rust on Your Car…“
There are different ways to use the rust remover, which will vary from one manufacturer to another. Generally, however, you need to soak the area that will be treated with the solution. If it is large, you will coat it with the rust remover. After which, it should be covered for the prevention of evaporation.
The rust remover is best to be used if your intention is to eradicate the rust and bring the object back to its pure state of being metal. On the other hand, if you plan to repaint it, you might want to consider using a rust converter instead.
Types of Rust Remover
The rust removers that are available in the market can be classified in a number of ways. For instance, they can be grouped on the basis of the way they are applied. In this case, the following are some of the options that you will see:
- Soaking: With this rust remover, you need to submerge the part that needs to be treated into the solution. This will be an excellent choice for screws and bolts. For larger items, on the other hand, this may not be best for long areas or spots.
- Spray: This is a preferred option if you are going to remove rust from a large item. However, they are often sold in small bottles, and the contents may not be enough if you need to deal with a large area.
- Paint: As the name implies, all you have to do is paint it in the area where rust needs to be removed. It is like a gel that will coat the surface and eventually will remove the rust. It is the best choice for surfaces that are too large to be submerged in liquid. They will be applied in the way you use a clear coat for the car.
Essential Factors to Consider
As you try to differentiate the options that are available in the market, make sure to consider the factors mentioned below:
- Reviews: A good starting point is to consult with what other people have to say. Luckily, many have used online platforms to share their experiences with a certain product. This will make it easier to weigh the pros and cons of the possibilities.
- Cost: There are some instances where the rust remover is more expensive than buying a new part. Think of practicality. Make sure that the product is within your budget. Nonetheless, even with its economical price, ensure its performance will do the intended job.
- Safety: It should also be noted that some rust removers have toxic ingredients, which negatively impacts your health. Take a look at the list of ingredients and the warning from the manufacturer. Make sure to follow the steps that are specified to be assured of the effectiveness in removing rust.
- Ease of Use: We mentioned earlier the different types of rust removers that are available on the marker. You should pick one that can be applied without complications. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions to ensure its proper application and guarantee optimal outcomes.
Top Picks for the Best Rust Remover
In this section, we will have a rundown of five of the best products that are available on Amazon.com. To help you evaluate, we will also tackle some of their most notable features and a few of their pros and cons.
1. Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover -1 Gallon
If you are looking for the best rust remover, this is one option that you might want to consider. It comes in a one-gallon container, giving you up to 1/2 lb of rust removal. You can use it for numerous applications. One gallon can treat up to 300 pounds of steel, which is helpful for many repeated uses.
Another thing that you might love about this product is how impressive it is when it comes to safety. You can be confident that using it will not harm your health. There are no acids, and there is no foul odor. It is safe even if it gets in contact with your skin.
Lastly, it is non-toxic and environmentally friendly. The materials used are biodegradable. It is also a product that is water-based.
- It does not produce a strong odor
- Works well with chrome
2. Workshop Hero WH290487 Metal Rescue Rust Remover – 1 Gallon
Ease of use is one thing that gives it a distinct advantage over many others that you can find in the market. People will like that you can use it and let it do its work. All you have to do is soak the part that needs to be de-rusted. There is usually no need to scrub or brush.
This can be an easy choice if you are looking for a safe and easy-to-use product. There are no acids or caustics. Even if it gets in contact with your skin, you do not have to worry about the possibility of injury.
With some rust removers, you cannot flush them directly down the drain or dispose of them anywhere. This is because they have toxic compounds. On the other hand, this product can safely be disposed of down the drain in most cases.
- Works as advertised
- One gallon can be used for many rust removal applications
- It does not require too much effort.
3. WD-40 Specialist Rust Remover Soak – Fast Acting Rust Dissolver 1 Gallon
A lot of you are probably aware of the brand WD-40. The brand name has a good reputation. This may give you the peace of mind that you need to try this as a rust-removal product.
This rust remover works by soaking objects in a solution. This means that you do not have to do much work. No brushing or scrubbing will be involved. Even the toughest jobs can be dealt with fairly quickly.
Also, it is important to note that it is industrial strength. It can cut through rust in 30 minutes to 8 hours. Use for 24 hours for tough rust.
- Made by a brand you can trust
- Effective in removing rust
- Does not require too much effort on your end
4. Turtle Wax T-280RA Chrome Polish & Rust remover – 12 oz
This is another option that is perfect if you are looking for an alternative that works well. However, take note of its 12-ounce size, which is smaller than other products we reviewed earlier.
It is made specifically for dealing with chrome parts with rust. I like that it not only removes the rust but also restores the shine of the bumper and tire rims, making them look as good as new. It also leaves a protective coat that helps prevent future rust issues.
Another good thing about this product is its versatility, especially when it comes to its application. You can use microfiber, foam, or cotton pads, yet you can safely have good outcomes.
Lastly, this is an exceptional choice because it also helps with tarnished chromes. Be careful not to get into the eye as this can cause problems.
- Leaves a shiny and polished look
- Creates a protective shield to prevent future rusting
5. Bull Frog 94236 Rust Remover 16 oz
This is another rust remover that is safe not only for you but for the environment as well. By taking a look at the list of ingredients, you will be happy to know that none of them are toxic. This won’t be a threat to your health or the environment in any way.
The best thing about this product is that it removes rust and protects the surface of whatever is treated. This will prevent rust from returning.
It comes with the revolutionary Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor, also known as VCI. The latter allows the rust remover to have electrochemical bonding with the metal. This will help in getting rid of moisture and air that can prevent rusting.
- Works great without the fumes
- Does not contain toxic chemicals
From the information above about the best rust remover, you can see which product may be the one that is best for you. If you are restoring your car or fixing minor problems, these products can help, even if used on industrial machinery. Nonetheless, doing your research will help you find the best solution for your needs.
Hopefully, one of the five options we have shown above will work to help you complete your project. Are you looking for other products that can be useful for your cars? Check out our reviews section to learn more about other car parts and accessories you may need.