Best Refrigerant Leak Detector: A Concise and Comprehensive Buying Guide
If you are an HVAC technician or simply an individual who has always been fascinated with DIY tasks, there is one thing that you will surely need – the best refrigerant leak detector. This is an essential tool that will help in the diagnosis of possible problems. This will help to detect the presence of leaks that are otherwise impossible to be discovered with the use of traditional methods, such as through soap bubbles.
With the abundance of the options in the market, making the right choice is not an easy feat. With this, keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll let you know how to find the right one and we’ll also recommend five of the best picks in the marketplace.
Top 5 Best Refrigerant Leak Detector 2017 Market
Solid Electrolyte Sensor Technology
Detects Even Gas
Advanced Digital Signal Processing
Essential Factors to Consider
To differentiate the options in the market, here are some of the most important things that should be taken into account:
- Ease of Use: It is important to choose one that comes with user-friendly features. As much as possible, it should be free from complications. To add, the manufacturer must also provide detailed information on how you can use the product.
- Durability: As you compare the possibilities, take a look at how rugged the design is. It should feel sturdy and must be made from premium materials. This means that it will be long-lasting and can provide the best value for money. Even through the years, it must be able to demonstrate superior quality and functionality.
- Maintenance: It is important for the refrigerant leak detector to be well-maintained to be guaranteed that it will work at its best even through the years. As you try to narrow down the possibilities, choose one that will require minimal effort to maintain. In most cases, regular calibration will be enough to maintain the product.
- Reviews: If you have no idea which one should be purchased, you can trust the opinions of other people. Many of them are generous enough to go online and share their experiences, which will be a good starting point in the analysis of the pros and cons of the possibilities.
- Type: There are different types of leak detectors hat are available in the market, each with their respective pros and cons. Here are some of the options that you will have:
- Halide: This is a friendly alternative, although this can pose safety risks amongst users.
- Fluorescent Dye: Even when it is used in low-light conditions, it can still effectively trace the location of the leak.
- Heated Diode: This is a popular choice because of its high level of accuracy, although the quality of the sensors can easily diminish.
- Corona Suspension: It has high-level sensitivity. One problem is that it produces sparks, which can be a source of combustion.
- Infrared: This is another excellent choice in terms of sensitivity. One problem, however, is that you have to always move when using this type of detector.
- Ultrasonic: This is excellent in terms of versatility as it can work with all types of refrigerants.
Top Picks for the Best Refrigerant Leak Detector
In this section, let us have a glimpse at five of the best products that you can find in the market:
1. Yellow Jacket 69336 AccuProbe UV Leak Detect
This model comes with a smart alarm LED, which will instantly provide you with a notification if a leak is present. It offers automatic calibration, which is one of the reasons why it is user-friendly. Also, it has a warm up span of only 20 seconds, which is shorter compared to most of its competitors.
It has three sensitivity levels – low, medium, and high. There are also three LED UV lights. There are an audible alert and a visual alert that will flash based on the refrigerant that is detected. The tone becomes louder if the concentration of the leak becomes higher.
More so, another innovative feature worth noting is the solid electrolyte sensor technology. Simply put, the latter leads to the reduction of heat and makes the unit long lasting compared to conventional types of detectors, including heated diode and heated anode detectors.
There are many reasons why this is a well-loved option in the market. Aside from having multiple leak detection settings, a lot also revealed that it is user-friendly. There are lots of features that make it user-friendly. It is also a good thing that it has a long lifespan.
There are some who noted that it is not the most accurate within the product category. Also, some people were annoyed that it keeps on beeping, even with the slightest movement that they make.
The Bottom Line
In sum, this is an option that is praised by many because of being user-friendly and durable.
2. Fieldpiece SRL2(K7) Advanced Refrigerant Leak Detector
This model is designed with a blow-mold case, which is already one good reason why it is better than many others. The case is built to be tough and it will not easily break, even when subjected to pressure.
We also loved how it comes with are an ergonomic case, which will easily fit in your hand. When you hold it, there is surely no discomfort.
Another good design feature is the magnetic hanger, which will allow you to hang the unit while you work on the leak.
When it comes to the battery, this is also a commendable choice. When it is full, it can function continuously for up to 8 hours.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it can work almost in any environment and has the ability to detect all refrigerant levels.
It makes a loud beep that you can easily hear once a refrigerant leak is detected. It is also impressive in terms of speed as it can find leaks quickly. More so, it comes with a rigid carrying case that protects the unit from external damages.
The learning curve is also not as good as other alternatives that are easier to use. There are also some who noted that it could be quite too sensitive in some instances.
The Bottom Line
This refrigerant leak is impressive. It is a versatile choice that can deliver accurate results.
3. Inficon D-TEK 712-202-G1 Select Refrigerant Leak Detector
Among others, the sensing cells incorporated in this product are amongst the reasons why it is given positive feedbacks by its users. These cells can withstand up to 1,000 hours of use. This is almost 10 times better than what you can expect from leading competitors in the market.
It is powered by nickel metal hydride batteries, which can be recharged. This is an economical choice as you do not have to buy replacement batteries every time it loses power.
When it comes to functionality and accuracy, this is also an excellent choice. This is because it will not react to external elements, which will ensure its ability to carry out precise detections. Even with humidity and temperature changes, among other eternal factors, you can still expect it to perform at its best.
One of the good things about this product is the loud beep once a leak is detected. Even if you have a noisy background, the beep can be easily heard. To add, it also has a tough construction, which makes it a long-lasting investment.
Also, some have noted that there can be some inaccuracies, but such can be avoided if the unit is used properly.
The Bottom Line
This is a good option for the buyer that wants a infrared sensor technology that has a good track record.
4. Elitech ILD-200 Advanced Refrigerant Leak Detector
One of the best things about this model is that it works for up to 10 years. If your not satified you can return it. It also comes with a 3 year warranty. This might be the detector for you. It can detect all kinds of halogenated refrigerants.
The screen shows an animated approximation of the refrigerant leak, and you can push the peak button when the maximum leakage is detected.
The design of the goose neck probe is also worth highlighting. It is long and flexible, which allows it to go even at hard to reach areas.
Lastly, it delivers 3 levels of sensitivity up to 0.14oz/yr. You only have to wait 30 seconds for warm up before starting to detect a leak. It can then provide a quick response with visual and audio sounds.
Compared to most of the products earlier mentioned, this model might be a hard one to beat.
One of the biggest problems of this model is it may give a false reading.
The Bottom Line
In sum, this is a great choice for the buyers look for a visual screen that indicates a gas detection signal with some good features.
5. Robinair TIFXL-1A Refrigerant Leak Detector
With this refrigerant leak detector, you can enjoy a product that has the ability to detect all halogenated refrigerants. There is no leak that you will miss!
To deliver accurate results, it has a microprocessor controlled circuit. This is complemented with advanced digital signal processing. With the latter, it was able to monitor the sensing tip by as much as 2,000 times within a single second.
It has a 14-inch probe, which is made from flexible stainless steel. This makes it easy to work even on hard to reach areas.
One of the best things about this model is its lightweight design, which makes it portable and easy to handle. It also has an ergonomic shape and it is effortless to grip. It is also excellent in terms of delivering accurate results.
One of the most common complaints about this product is how it can be quite complicated to use, especially for first timers. There is a bit of a learning curve, but after some time, you can operate it in a snap.
The Bottom Line
This refrigerant leak detector may be difficult to use at first, but it won’t take long before you can master its operation. It is accurate and it may prove helpful.
Why You Should Have the Best Refrigerant Leak Detector
There are many reasons why you should have a refrigerant leak detector, including the following:
- Reduction of Energy Consumption: This leak detector will help to diagnose problems early on. With this, you can execute the necessary repairs and in the end, this will cause your energy bill to plummet.
- Improves Safety and Health: This will make sure that appliance is in their tip-top shape and they will never be a cause of any risk.
- Protects your Investment: Air conditioning units and other items where leak detectors are used can last longer if the problem is spotted early on and given the necessary solution.
Indeed, the best refrigerant leak detector can deliver an abundance of benefits, but this will only be the case if you choose the right one. To be sure, narrow down the possibilities to the five products that we have mentioned above, and for sure, you will end up with a decision that you will not regret. From their functionality to user-friendliness, we are confident that these products can indeed provide the best value for money.