We use rear view mirrors to know our surroundings as we drive. Many of us tend to take them for granted until they cannot be used anymore. Sometimes, we also just make do with the rear view mirror that came with our vehicles. However, if you are looking for one with more functionality and extra safety features, you need the best rear view mirrors. In this article, you will find everything you need to know before you buy one.
At the end of the day, safety is still a priority. With the help of the best rear view mirrors, you can make sure that driving will be safer for you and your family.
|Product (Amazon Links)
What is a Rear View Mirror?
A rear view mirror is a very important safety feature on your vehicle. Drivers will have the ability to be more aware of their driving environment when the rearview mirror is often checked. In addition, potential vehicular accidents can be avoided. There are many types available in the market right now. Some offer wider views for safer reversing, passing, and parking. Some also have the capability of seeing through blind spots.
The rearview mirror’s function is to let you see other cars at the rear side of your vehicle. If you have a clear view of what’s happening behind the scenes, you are making sure of everyone’s safety, including yours. Having one is an indication that you are a responsible driver. This is the reason why having the best rearview mirror is important, as it augments safety while driving.
Top Picks for the Best Rear View Mirrors
There are a number of options for rear-view mirrors, which makes it difficult to choose the best one. With this, we have provided the reviews of the top rear-view mirrors to make decision-making a lot easier.
1. Polaris Rear View Mirror
The Polaris Rear View Mirror will enhance your awareness on every potential obstacle around and behind your vehicle. It can be mounted securely and is adjustable according to your preferences. To add, it can provide an excellent view of traffic around your vehicle. With this, it is guaranteed that utmost safety is experienced when you have this rear view mirror attached to your windshield.
Main Product Features:
- Item weight: 1 pound
- Product Dimensions: 10.5 x 6.2 x 2.2 inches
- Vehicle Service Type: All terrain vehicles
- Folding: No
- Warranty: Yes
- Durable and waterproof
- Easy installation
- Secure attachment and is adjustable
- Can endure off road riding conditions
- The mirror is not fastened well to the frame
2. CIPA 36400 Wedge Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
The CIPA Rear View Mirror will eliminate the annoying headlight glare especially at night. For maximum comfort and safety, it has an automatic dimming feature that can sense bright lights. In addition, this rear view mirror comes with a digital compass and temperature readout. When you install it for the first time, it will require the use of a power and sensor wire.
This rear view mirror can be mounted directly on top of an existing one. The package includes the mirror, power wire harness, wiretap, temperature sensor, operation card and replacement wedge button.
Main Product Features:
- Item weight: 1.9 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 11.2 x 5.2 x 3.8 inches
- Warranty: Yes
- LED display: Yes
- Origin: USA
- Has automatic dimming
- Comes with self-calibrating compass
- Temperature readout is programmable
- Easy to install
- Does not come with mounting adhesives
- Wedge mount only
3. AUTO-VOX Dual Video Inputs 4.3″ Car Rear View Mirror
The Auto-Vox Rear View Mirror will perfectly match your vehicle’s body. It has the ability to adjust brightness automatically through its 4.3-inch LCD monitor display. Safety is ensured especially when parking, because of the parking image is automatically displayed without pressing any buttons. You just have to set the gear to R to enable this feature.
It is compatible with most car models, such as Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Hyundai, and Kia. It has dual video inputs, including AV1, that can be used for VCD, DVD, TV, and GPS. Lastly, it has AV2 compatibility for the backup camera.
Main Product Features:
- Item weight: 1.8 pounds
- Product Dimensions: 10.6 x 0.9 x 3.2 inches
- Display Type: LCD
- LCD Display: 4.3 inches
- Wireless Remote: No
- Features automatic brightness adjustment
- No dazzling and glaring
- Can automatically show the parking image
- Easy to install
- The mirror might shake during off-road driving
- Might not last long
4. CHICOM 9.66″ Mirror Dash Cam
The Chicom Rear View Mirror has two cameras, one for the front and the other for the back. If you have this mirror, viewing across almost the entire mirror brings a larger picture than many other mirror cams.
It has 1080P and night vision capability. It can record video and loop it so it records over the video in a loop, just retaining the most recent events. It acts as a dash cam, so you can record what is happening in front of you, such as accidents. The G sensor helps sense a crash and keep relevant recordings.
It has a 9.99 inch display that can provide you a preview of what recording. To add to that, it has 24-hour parking monitoring to record if an accident happens.
This model has a 12-month warranty.
Main Product Features:
- Touch video screen: 9.66″
- Resolution: 1080P
- Warranty: 1 year
- Camera angle: Front 170 degrees / Back 150 degree
- Can use an SD card for extra storage
- Has automatic recording
- Features night vision
- Comes with rear camera attachment options
- Records video in case of crash
- Might be glitchy
- Installation may be fairly difficult
What are the Different Types of Rear View Mirrors?
Your knowledge of the different types of rearview mirrors will definitely help you narrow down your choices. In order to have the best rear-view mirrors for your vehicle, you also have to know why one is better than the other.
- Overhead – This type is normally mounted on top of the windshield of your car. It allows the driver to have a comprehensive view of the rear portion of the vehicle. This can be seen on almost all types of vehicles, as it has been a requirement across different regions. It provides a wide view of the back but can be less accurate because of the 90 to 30-degree blind spot.
- Side Mirror – You will commonly see this type of mirror on the outside of most automobiles. This mirror is required, especially at the driver’s side. It will allow you to see and be aware of any obstacles next to or behind your vehicle. One downside is that it has a blind spot at 30 degrees.
- Arched – This type of mirror, also known as convex, is shaped like a dome that allows enhanced vision on certain areas. You will be able to see areas beyond the overhead and side mirrors. This is lightweight and usually comes with adhesives for easy installation. One disadvantage is that the image might be slightly distorted due to its shape.
- Rear View Cameras – This popular accessory can also be considered as another type of rearview mirror. They can be used on a closed circuit with a small screen you can find on the vehicle’s dashboard. It can provide clear images of the rear portion that are not seen, usually using a rear view mirror.
What are the Benefits of Using the Best Rear View Mirrors?
Some of you might think that rear view mirrors are not a necessity but with its benefits, it can absolutely outweigh the price you pay for it. With this, you can find below some of the reasons why you should have the best rear view mirrors.
1. It can provide a larger field of view.
Having the best rear view mirror can provide you wide angles of vision. You won’t ever need to look over your shoulders to see what’s behind your vehicle. This is mostly beneficial for drivers who experience back and neck pains. Changing lanes has never been easier if you have the best one in the market. Lastly, this is ideal for parents who want to check regularly what their kids are doing at the back seat.
2. It offers less distortion.
Accuracy is very important especially when you are driving. If you have the best rear view mirror, you got to have the most accurate image of the situation going on behind your vehicle. Your mirror having this feature can also be a life-saving property. This can prevent backing accidents that can kill children at the backseat.
3. It provides safety.
Blind spots are definitely reduced if you have the best rear view mirror. Reversing, parking, and even just passing is safer with this. It will provide you an excellent view of the situation behind and on the side of your vehicle while you are driving. In addition, it can prevent any potential accidents.
How to Choose the Best Rear View Mirrors for Yourself?
As there are many types of rear view mirrors available in the market right now, you need to choose the best one for you. Listed below are some criteria that will help you choose the best rear view mirrors.
- Mounting Style – Rear view mirrors can be attached to your vehicle’s windshield, dashboard, or even the ceiling. When you have decided what to buy, consider whether the mounting is compatible with your vehicle.
- Size – A mirror is generally from 8 up to 12 inches in length and comes in a square-edged rectangular shape. Others, however, have rounded or oval corners. You have to choose the one that can provide you with a more comprehensive view of the back portion of your car.
- Anti-Glare – This rearview mirror property will prevent you from getting blinded by the headlights behind you, especially at night. You have to choose one that will not cause problems with your vision.
- Blind Spot – Wider mirrors offer this significant factor you have to consider. While some may be sufficient, you need to eliminate blind spots. This will benefit drivers with neck and back problems, thus eliminating the need to look over their shoulders.
- Automatic Dimming – When headlights from the cars behind you are too bright, an automatic dimming feature will be most handy. You have to choose one that can allow you to see, especially during nighttime.
- Easy Installation – This is especially important if this is the first time you are replacing the mirror that came with your vehicle. You can choose one that includes adhesives that help ease installation.
- Features – Additional features such as cameras, GPS systems, compasses, temperature readouts, and LCDs are also important. Choose a rearview mirror from which you can benefit the most.
Based on the reviews presented above, we would highly recommend the Falcon Zero F360 HD DVR Dual Dash Cam and Rear View Mirror as your best rear view mirror. The reason is that it has the most advanced technology compared to the other models. This way, you can have a wide view of your vehicle’s rear portion while enjoying the benefits of modern technology.
Do you need more products to hook up your vehicle with? Click here to check some other options that are available in the market right now.