We use rear view mirrors to know our surroundings as we drive. Many of us tend to take them for granted until they cannot be used anymore. Sometimes, we also just make do with the rear view mirror that came with our vehicles. However, if you are looking for one with more functionality and extra safety features, you need the best rear view mirrors. In this article, you will find everything you need to know before you buy one.
At the end of the day, safety is still a priority. With the help of the best rear view mirrors, you can make sure that driving will be safer for you and your family.
What is a Rear View Mirror?
A rear view mirror is a very important safety feature on your vehicle. Drivers will have the ability to be more aware of their driving environment when the rear view mirror is often checked. To add, potential vehicular accidents can be avoided. There are many types available in the market right now. Some offer wider views for safer reversing, passing, and parking. Some also have the capability of seeing through blind spots.
The rear view mirror’s function is to let you see other cars at the rear side of your vehicle. If you have a clear view of what’s happening at the back, you are making sure of everyone’s safety, including yours. Having one is an indication that you are a responsible driver. This is the reason why having the best rear view mirror is important, as it augments safety while driving.
Top Picks for the Best Rear View Mirrors
There are a number of options for rear view mirrors, which makes it difficult to choose the best one. With this, we have provided the reviews of the top rear view mirrors to make decision-making a lot easier.
What are the Different Types of Rear View Mirrors?
Your knowledge of the different types of rear view mirrors will definitely help you narrow down your choices. In order to have the best rear view mirrors for your vehicle, you also have to know why one is better than the other.
- Overhead – This type is normally mounted on top of the windshield of your car. It allows the driver to have a comprehensive view of the rear portion of the vehicle. This can be seen on almost all types of vehicles, as it has been a requirement across different regions. It provides a wide view of the back but can be less accurate because of the 90 to 30 degrees blind spot.
- Side Mirror – You will commonly see this type of mirror on the outside of most automobiles. This mirror is required especially at the side of the driver. It will allow you to see and be aware of any obstacles next to or behind your vehicle. One downside is that it has a blind spot at 30 degrees.
- Arched – This type of mirror, also known as convex, is shaped like a dome that allows enhanced vision on certain areas. You will be able to see areas beyond the overhead and side mirrors. This is lightweight and usually comes with adhesives for easy installation. One disadvantage is that the image might be slightly distorted due to its shape.
- Rear View Cameras – This popular accessory can also be considered as another type of rear view mirror. They can be used on a closed circuit with a small screen you can find at the vehicle’s dashboard. It can provide clear images of the rear portion that are not seen usually using a rear view mirror.
What are the Benefits of Using the Best Rear View Mirrors?
Some of you might think that rear view mirrors are not a necessity but with its benefits, it can absolutely outweigh the price you pay for it. With this, you can find below some of the reasons why you should have the best rear view mirrors.
1. It can provide a larger field of view.
Having the best rear view mirror can provide you wide angles of vision. You won’t ever need to look over your shoulders to see what’s behind your vehicle. This is mostly beneficial for drivers who experience back and neck pains. Changing lanes has never been easier if you have the best one in the market. Lastly, this is ideal for parents who want to check regularly what their kids are doing at the back seat.
2. It offers less distortion.
Accuracy is very important especially when you are driving. If you have the best rear view mirror, you got to have the most accurate image of the situation going on behind your vehicle. Your mirror having this feature can also be a life-saving property. This can prevent backing accidents that can kill children at the backseat.
3. It provides safety.
Blind spots are definitely reduced if you have the best rear view mirror. Reversing, parking, and even just passing is safer with this. It will provide you an excellent view of the situation behind and on the side of your vehicle while you are driving. In addition, it can prevent any potential accidents.
How to Choose the Best Rear View Mirrors for Yourself?
As there are many types of rear view mirrors available in the market right now, you need to choose the best one for you. Listed below are some criteria that will help you choose the best rear view mirrors.
- Mounting Style – Rear view mirrors can be attached to your windshield, dashboard, or even the ceiling of your vehicle. When you are decided on what to buy, take into consideration first if the mounting is compatible for your vehicle.
- Size – A mirror is normally from 8 up to 12 inches in length and comes in square-edged rectangular shape. Other however, have rounded or oval corners. You have to choose the one that can provide you a wider view of the back portion of your car.
- Anti-Glare – Having this rear view mirror property will prevent you from getting blinded by the headlights behind you, especially at night. You have to choose one that will not cause you problems with vision.
- Blind Spot – Wider mirrors offer this very important factor you have to consider. While some may be sufficient, what you need is to eliminate blind spots. This will be beneficial for drivers who have neck and back problems, thus eliminating the need to look over their shoulders.
- Automatic Dimming – When headlights from the cars behind you are too bright, an automatic dimming feature will be most handy. You have to choose one that can provide you the ability to see especially during nighttime.
- Easy Installation – This is very important especially if this is the first time you are replacing the mirror that came with your vehicle. You have the option to choose one that includes adhesives that helps with the ease of installation.
- Features – Additional features such as cameras, GPS systems, compasses, temperature readouts, LCD displays are also important. Choose a rear view mirror in which you can benefit the most from.
Based on the reviews presented above, we would highly recommend the Falcon Zero F360 HD DVR Dual Dash Cam and Rear View Mirror as your best rear view mirror. The reason is that it has the most advanced technology compared to the other models. This way, you can have a wide view of your vehicle’s rear portion while enjoying the benefits of modern technology.
Do you need more products to hook up your vehicle with? Click here to check some other options that are available in the market right now.