So, you just bought the motorcycle of your dreams, which is already a great investment. However, this alone would not be enough, you also need to buy protective gear such as jackets, helmets, gloves, and glasses. Speaking of glasses, you won’t be needing them unless you already own a full-face helmet. But if you don’t, you’ll be needing a pair of the best motorcycle glasses.
In this post, we will be discussing everything you should know when looking for good motorcycle glasses. Not every model is the same and we are here to help you narrow down your choices into choosing the best of the best. Take time to carefully review the essential factors that you need to consider, as it can help you make an informed buying decision. Read on if you want to know more.
Why do you need motorcycle glasses?
Wearing motorcycle glasses might seem like a minor protection gear compared to the helmet, boots, and gloves. However, there are many jurisdictions in the United States that require all motorcycle riders to wear protective eyewear. In some states, however, wearing motorcycle goggles is a requirement, especially if the motorcycle does not have a windshield.
Even without these requirements by the state laws, driving your motorcycle without eye protection is extremely dangerous and risky. Riding your motorcycle with the wind at 40mph would likely make your ride undeniably unbearable. There is also the risk of getting debris, bugs, and water on your eyes, which would make you lose control of the motorcycle.
With regards to prescription motorcycle glasses, it is such a relief that you can get one of those, allowing you to properly see whenever you ride your motorcycle. It should be noted, however, that these prescription motorcycle glasses do not come cheap. In addition to that, you won’t be able to purchase the most popular models, colors, and shapes that you see online or at the store.
If you don’t want to buy these expensive prescription glasses, you may opt to choose a pair of goggles that could fit your prescription eyeglasses underneath it. You might be surprised that there are a lot of options that are available on the market right now that allows you to fit various types of eyeglasses while enjoying maximum protection and comfort at the same time.
Important Features to Consider when Choosing Motorcycle Glasses
When choosing the best motorcycle glasses, there are a lot of criteria that you might want to consider. As not all of them are created equally, it is imperative that you choose the one that you can most benefit from. It is very important that you know what features to look out for and those you can miss, to be able to determine which motorcycle glasses offers the most value for money.
Safety is the primary reason you are buying a pair of motorcycle glasses, as you need to protect your eyes from the sun, bugs, rain, dust, and the wind. Safety may seem like a minor factor for you to consider but these motorcycle glasses help a lot in providing the protection your eyes need when you are out on a ride. Here are some of the most important safety features your glasses need:
- Polycarbonate lenses: This type of lenses is less vulnerable to scratches when you compare it to a glass. It also features a built-in UV protection and it is coated with advanced hardenings for reliability and durability. One thing you should be aware of, however, is that light easily passes through the coating and the lens, which is completely normal.
- UV protection: It is a widely known fact that ultraviolet rays from the sun cause harm to our eyes. With this, you should consider buying motorcycle glasses that already are equipped with UV protection. Overexposure to UV rays can cause very serious eye problems including cataracts.
- ANSI-approved glasses: ANSI certifies safety motorcycle glasses by testing them under extreme and harsh conditions. These tests will ensure that the glasses will have the required capabilities to protect your eyes while riding your bike. Interestingly, the best motorcycle glasses are also utilized in laboratories, as well as in the fields of industrial, military, construction, and law enforcement.
- Resistance to scratch: While you aren’t able to find completely scratch-resistant lenses, you should choose one that features a heard clear coat. If your glasses have this kind of coat, small nicks and scratches can be avoided, especially on polycarbonate lenses. Here’s a tip: only use microfiber cloth when cleaning the lenses to prevent the annoying marks and scratches.
- Polarized lenses: Polaroid lenses are mostly present in almost all motorcycle glasses, as they cut excessively high levels of glares and lights. The polaroid coating is sandwiched between the lenses that prevent scattered light from reaching your eyes. However, you should be aware that these lenses may block important LED lights.
- Anti-fog treatment: This is a semi-permanent layer added to most motorcycle glasses to keep them free from fog. Some are also coated on both sides that adds an extra layer of protection against varying temperatures. In addition, it also provides another layer of durability to the lenses.
You may opt to buy motorcycle glasses that don’t come with foams. Doing this will prevent you from buying new glasses every time it breaks. When choosing the best motorcycle glasses, you might want to check first if it fits perfectly, has a great ventilation system, or if the pair has the capability to fit prescription glasses over it. Better yet, try wearing one on the store.
3. Color of the lenses
As with all motorcycle glasses, dark-colored lenses absorb more light compared to light-colored lenses. Choosing the appropriate color is very important because it delivers a varying outcome in terms of your vision.
Amber and orange tints are most likely to decrease blue lights, which is a primary cause of glares. It will be able to brighten, as well as increase the contrast and improve detail. Brown tints, on the other hand, provides excellent contrast because of its slightly dark color that diminishes eye strain. It is a wise decision to try these motorcycle glasses on first to see which one fits you better.
Top 5 Picks for The Best Motorcycle Glasses
In this section, we have provided you a rundown of our favorite picks for the best motorcycle glasses. We have here a summary of each product’s best features, pros, cons, and our overall rating. While this section can be of great help, especially if you do not know what to choose, it will still be entirely up to you to choose the motorcycle glasses that are right for you.
Choosing the best motorcycle glasses might seem like a confusing task at first but with the reviews we have provided for you, we are confident that you will be able to determine which motorcycle glasses are right for you. We trust that you have read the factors that need to be considered, as they will be of help in narrowing down your choices into choosing only the best motorcycle glasses.