Choosing the best motorcycle chains is critical to ensure a safe riding experience. In this article, you will find all there is to know about motorcycle chains. We will provide you the top four choices available in the market right now, as well as their features. To add, you will be informed about the essential factors to consider when choosing the best motorcycle chains.
What is a Motorcycle Chain?
For you to have a better understanding, let’s talk about what a motorcycle chain is first. A motorcycle chain is basically the metallic chain installed on your bike. As almost all motorcycles are powered by chain drive, the power originating from the engine passes through the motorcycle chain. Simply put, this device is aimed to retain power transmission.
It should be noted that the chains must have correct inspection, maintenance, replacement and repair. Through that, it will ensure that your motorcycle will ride safely and steadily. You have to keep the chains in good shape until it becomes defective or damaged. When that happens, replace it immediately with one of the top four recommendations in the following section.
Motorcycle chains are considered the simplest part of your bike’s engine. A sprocket that is connected to the transmission drives the motorcycle chain. To add, another sprocket linked to the rear tire places the power on the road. Its task is fairly simple but it can obviously take a beating. In order to take care of it, the chains must be lubricated regularly. Beware of using weak chains as it can do possible damages to your sprockets.
Top Four Picks for the Best Motorcycle Chains
In this section, we will give you a rundown of the top four picks for the best motorcycle chains. We will provide you with their key features, pros and cons. It is vital that you pay attention, as this will greatly help you in making a better decision.
Types of Motorcycle Chains
In this section, we will further discuss the three types of motorcycle chains: standard, O-Ring and X-Ring. This may help you in choosing the best motorcycle chains so you have to pay attention.
- Standard Chains: These chains do not have a ring in between the outer and inner side plate of the chain. Considered an older style, they are normally lightweight and cheap to manufacture. You won’t see these chains on a modern bike today but if you did, it might be only for off-road use.
- O-Ring Chains: The O-Rings are placed between the side plates of the chain to produce lesser friction than metal on metal. Pooling lubrication right next to the inner plate makes this possible. On a well-maintained O-Ring motorcycle chain, you can expect twelve to eighteen thousand miles of riding.
- X-Ring Chains: This chain uses an ‘X’ shaped rubber to be placed in between the side plates. They are also considered the newer versions of the O-Ring chains. Per bike manufacturers, these chains can hold lubrication better and can increase the chain’s lifespan by up to 40%.
Essential Factors to Consider in Choosing the Best Motorcycle Chains
Before we conclude, we shall talk about the factors to look for in a good motorcycle chain. Enumerated below, you will find the things to consider, which will increase the likelihood of choosing a product that provides the best bang for the buck.
- Price – You should look out for models that offer great quality and performance and do not cost much. It does not necessarily mean that cheaper ones do not perform well. It also does not mean that expensive one offer superior quality. You should be able to evaluate the pros and cons of each product so you can relate their prices individually.
- Ease of Installation – Replacing your old motorcycle chain is a very easy task. You should pick the one that is easy to install. This may save you lot of time so you can enjoy more of your time riding.
- Tensile Strength – This might be considered as the most important factor as this will determine the weight the chains will accommodate. There are several chains presented above that will carry the weight required, may it be 8,000 pounds or more. It is vital that you choose one that will not break if you place a heavy load on it.
- Features – You have to carefully review the advantages and disadvantages of each product. By doing this, you can evaluate effectively which model gives you more value for the price you pay. Several models presented above offer different features and it’s up to you to determine which would benefit you the most.
- Durable – An ideal motorcycle chain is strong and durable, as well as lasts for a long period of time. It should be noted that motorcycle chains will require regular maintenance. If you don’t have the time, there are models that already offer self-lubrication resulting in lesser friction between the metals.
- Number of rings – It is also important to know first how many rings you need. You can do this by disassembling the chain and checking the number of rings on the old one. A chain breaking device might be required if you purchase a chain that has more than what you need.
Now that we laid down the things to know about motorcycle chains, we hope you can now make a decision. Choosing the best motorcycle chains may be a tedious task, especially if you don’t know what you are looking for. With this guide, we are confident that you can narrow down your choices to picking the best. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of each product and you’re good to go.
Are you also looking for similar products that you can buy for your vehicle? Click here to find out about products that are available in the market right now.