As they say, the engine is the heart of any motorcycle. However, the engine alone will not be enough. It should be complemented with the right battery, which can be considered as the blood that makes the motorcycle function. It provides the power needed to start regardless of the external weather conditions. With the abundance of options available, which one should you choose? In the rest of this guide, we will let you know how to pick the best motorcycle batteries, and we will also have a rundown of some of the best brands and models you may want to consider.
Top 5 Best Motorcycle Batteries
|Main Product Features
|Images (Amazon Links)
Quad terminal design, battery management system, does not contain liquid
30-day money-back guarantee, 18 months replacement, sealed AGM
Odyssey PC680 Battery
Vibration-resistant, charges in 4 to 6 hours, 170 CCA
200 CCA, 12 volts, Advanced Lead Calcium technology
Essential Factors to Consider
As you narrow down the options for the best motorcycle batteries, here are some of the factors that should be given careful thought:
- Compatibility: One of the first things to do is look at the requirements of your motorcycle. Not all batteries have universal compatibility. Pay attention to the specifications to narrow down the possibilities.
- Types of Motorcycle Battery: Another consideration is the specific type of battery that you will need. One of the most popular is AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat. The latter comes with a mat that is responsible for the absorption of electrolytes. Its versatility is one of its benefits, making it useful for a wide array of applications. You can also opt for a gel-type battery. It comes with silica-like gels for the suspension of electrolytes. Many people choose this because there is a guarantee that there will be no leaking, even in case the battery breaks.
- Warranty: This is one thing that you should not miss if you want to be provided with the best value for money. Choose one that has an extensive warranty, which means that you will enjoy extensive support from the manufacturer. If there is any problem with the battery, you must be able to return it to the manufacturer, and they must be able to help you.
- Maintenance: No one has the patience to deal with a battery that requires too much effort to maintain. See to it that the battery can retain its best quality and functionality through the years without the need to do much.
- Power Ratings: Do not forget to look at this technical detail as it will be indicative of the overall performance of the battery. A higher power rating is generally good, but this could also mean that the battery will be more expensive. The power rating of motorcycle batteries is expressed in volts.
- Reviews: Clueless about which one to choose? You should trust what other people are saying and read online reviews. Through the experiences and insights that others are sharing, arriving at the right decision will be a lot easier for you.
Top Picks for the Best Motorcycle Batteries
In this section, we will take a quick look at some of the top choices that you might want to consider.
1. Battery Tender Supersmart BMS Lithium Iron Battery
The brand name of the battery is more than enough to make you confident about its quality and functionality. Battery Tender has gained a positive reputation in the market, which is already one good reason to trust this product.
This battery weighs only 1.35 pounds, making it one of the lightest within the product category. It will not add significant weight to your motorcycle, unlike in the case of other batteries that are commonly heavy and bulky.
To add, it has a quad terminal configuration. This is one of its smart design features, guaranteeing that you can complete its installation in a snap.
Lastly, it comes with extensive warranty coverage from the manufacturer, which lasts for three years. Within such a period, you are assured of support from the company, which also reflects how they trust the quality of their products.
The lightweight construction of the battery is one of its biggest assets. It is also excellent in terms of safety, which can provide you with peace of mind. It does not contain any liquid, which also means that minimal maintenance will be required.
One of the most common complaints about this battery is how its life span is quite shorter than leading competitors. Also, there are some who noted that its energy tends to decrease the longer it is used.
The Bottom Line
With its lightweight construction and safety features, this is another option worth being considered, even if there are some people who noted that it may suffer in terms of durability.
2. HDX30L Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery
If you have a Harley Davidson bike, this battery is for you. Because your motorcycle is a premium brand, it deserves nothing but a high-quality battery that will be instrumental in optimizing its performance.
In terms of its construction, this is a battery that is hard to rival. It comes with patented solid female threaded terminals, which are fitted with stainless steel bolts.
This is an AGM battery. With an absorbed glass mat, you can be sure that it will never spill throughout its use. There will be no leaks and almost no maintenance required. It also has a heat-sealed cover, which means that even extreme temperature will not damage the battery.
To provide you with peace of mind, the manufacturer is offering money-back guarantee that lasts for 30 days. On the other hand, if you are unhappy with the battery the manufacturer can have it replaced within 18 months.
One of the things that we loved about this model is how it is already pre-charged when it is received, making it ready to be used. It also has a permanent seal for durability and is an original replacement for a Harley Davidson battery.
If there is one thing that you may not like about this battery, it would be the fact that it is bulky. Also, when you live in a cold place and if it is unused for an extended period, this will most probably expire quicker.
The Bottom Line
Despite being bulky, this motorcycle battery has impressive technical specifications. It has sealed technology for durability and also comes pre-activated.
3. Odyssey PC680 Battery
Compared to other deep cycle batteries, this model can last 70 times longer, which will make it a great investment.
One of the things many batteries failed to address is the charging time. You often need to wait long before they are fully charged. With this model, on the other hand, such is not the case. It recharges quickly. In fact, based on the figures from the manufacturer, it can be fully charged within at least four hours.
When it comes to durability, you might also be impressed with this model. One reason for this is its ability to resist vibrations. This provides protection from shock. Also, it is tolerant even when it is used in high temperatures.
Even with heavy electrical load, even if you use it in a place where it is cold, you can expect a high level of reliability from this motorcycle battery. Its installation will also be a breeze to accomplish, even for novices.
Similar to most of the motorcycle batteries that have been mentioned earlier, one of the possible problems that you will encounter is the failure to hold a charge after several months of not being used.
The Bottom Line
This is another top choice for the best motorcycle batteries. From its power to its installation, you will have lots of reasons to love it.
4. Chrome Battery YTX12-BS IGEL AGM Battery
This maintenance-free battery comes with a sealed design, which is one of the reasons why it is chosen by many. Also, when it is shipped, it is already pre-charged, which is why it is ready to be used once it is taken out of the box.
The digital display design is also worth noting. This means you can check the alternator voltage and low voltage.
The low discharge rate is also a plus about this product. Even if it is not used for months, you can expect that it will stay charged. One of the reasons for this is the Advanced Lead Calcium Technology.
The high output is also a good thing. This makes it compatible for high output motorcycles.
From the five models that we have discussed, this is the one with a digital display. Also, a lot of people praised the battery because of its excellent power. Installation is also a breeze, provided that you follow the instructions from the manufacturer.
The slightly tall and bulky appearance of the battery is one of its drawbacks. This means that here is no universal compatibility. Also, there are some who noted that it is not as durable as its counterparts.
The Bottom Line
This motorcycle battery is another excellent choice, although there are some who noted that there can be issues when it comes to its durability.
Why You Need the Best Motorcycle Batteries
Here are some of the reasons why you should invest in a high-quality battery for your motorcycle:
- It Provides the Power that you Need: With an excellent battery, you can be confident that your motorcycle will be as powerful as it can be. This is vital for optimizing its performance.
- Use Your Motorcycle in All Weather Conditions: During the winter months, the freezing temperature can affect your battery. If you have one that demonstrates premium quality, on the other hand, it will easily start regardless of the season.
- Acts as the Blood of your Engine: Your motorcycle will be incomplete and will not function without a battery. Nonetheless, not just any battery would suffice. Take time to choose one that is sure not to bring regrets.
From the discussions above, we hope that evaluating the options for the best motorcycle batteries is now easier for you. Yes, there is an abundance of choices. However, this should not be taken as an excuse for you to choose just any product. You might be tempted to pick one because it is cheap, but at all times, quality should be more important.