The motocross helmet is a very important piece of riding gear, protective equipment that you should never compromise on regarding its price and quality. With a helmet, you will protect yourself from countless injuries, especially if you are riding off-road. They are specifically designed to protect your head in a crash.
A motocross helmet is a protective gear used by motocross riders whose primary purpose is to protect your head during impact, prevent and reduce head injury, and save your life. Here are a few essential factors that you should look out for in a motocross helmet to make decision-making a lot easier on your part:
- DOT certification
- Removable liners and pads
- Excellent ventilation
- Design and construction
Safety comes first. This post will discuss some of the best-rated motocross helmets on Amazon. But to cover everything there is to know about these protective gear, we must also discuss what it does, some of its types, and the top features you need to consider. We hope you can apply your newfound knowledge on motocross helmets after you have read this.
GLX GX623 DOT Youth Kids Motocross Helmet
Dual Sport Helmet by NENKI Full Face Motocross & Motorcycle Helmets Dot Approved With Iridium Red Visor Attached Clear Visor NK-310
What Is a Motocross Helmet and Why Do You Need One?
A motocross helmet is a protective gear used by motocross riders, whose primary purpose is to protect the rider’s head during impact, prevent and reduce head injury, as well as save the rider’s life. Nothing could be as important as the helmet when you are racing around the track. While other protective gears are vital, you should never ever skip on the helmet.
Wearing protective equipment like a motocross helmet would protect your head from fatal injuries. Even if a crash happens between a car and a motorcycle, the rider will receive the most injuries, which could also result in death. Studies have also proven that head injuries often lead to fatalities, including long-term disabilities.
Wearing a motocross helmet with reflective trips will make you much more visible to other motorists, especially during nighttime. Wearing a helmet also will also prevent you from spending too much on insurance and medical bills. Lastly, it is an obligation to the law, as the government has made it mandatory that every rider wears a helmet whenever they are traveling.
Different Types of Helmets
To make decision-making a lot easier on your part, you should be knowledgeable of the common types of helmets, which include the following:
1. Full-face Helmet
Full-face helmets will be able to protect all sides of your head, including your chin. It also comes with a sturdy face shield that also protects you from asphalt and bugs. While it is one of the visually appealing helmets, it also offers complete visibility of the road and everything that is happening around you.
2. Skull Caps
Unlike the full-face helmet that offers the most protection, skull caps only offer the bare minimum of protection. It only covers the top of your head, and visually, it looks very unprofessional.
3. Open-face Helmet
The open-face helmet protects the top and back of the head and the sides. It is as good as the full-face helmet, but the only things it does not protect are your eyes. If you choose this type of helmet, I would recommend getting goggles that go with it. While this does not offer the same protection as the full-face helmet, wearing it gives you more visibility.
4. Touring Motorcycle Helmets
These types of helmets help you survive a long-distance ride with the comfort they offer. We all know that comfort is important, especially when riding; noise, weight, and overall ventilation all play a part whenever you ride a motorcycle. You might want to consider looking for this type of helmet that comes with Bluetooth or speaker systems, which will come in handy when it’s too noisy.
5. Modular Motorcycle Helmets
Modular motorcycle helmets have become extremely popular, as riders are now looking for additional versatility when it comes to their daily helmet selection. You may see it as the best of both worlds; it has the configuration of a full-face helmet and an open-face helmet in one. This would mean that you can use it with or without the chin bar in place.
6. Dual Sport Motorcycle Helmets
This type of helmet features both off-road and aerodynamic, which help in terms of speed. They will be able to provide the versatility of several configurations depending on the condition. You can mix on and off-road preferences with the dual sport motorcycle helmet. It can also offer the same comfort that you want on a street helmet.
Choosing the Best Motocross Helmet
Before we finish this discussion, we should talk about the essential factors you should look out for in a motocross helmet. We recommend that you review this carefully, as it can narrow down your choices into making an informed buying decision.
- DOT certification – If you are a resident of the United States, don’t ever ride a motorcycle with a helmet that is not DOT certified. When choosing a motocross helmet, make sure that the one you are buying is DOT-certified because safety is your number one concern.
- Lightweight – While most motocross helmets are usually made from polycarbonate, fiberglass, and carbon fiber, you should always choose lightweight ones. Remember, the lightweight motocross helmets are the ones that are very comfortable to wear.
- Removable liners and pads – It is a guarantee that you will sweat a lot while wearing your motocross helmet. Fortunately, the above models offer removable liners and pads, which you can wash after every use. It is also very hygienic, and you can wash it if it doesn’t smell good anymore.
- Comfort – Besides getting the required protection, motocross helmets should also be very comfortable. In addition, it should fit your head perfectly. So, when trying on these motorcycle helmets, ensure you will not have difficulty putting them on and off your head.
- Excellent ventilation – Ventilation is very important, keeping the helmet’s interior cool. This feature will be useful, especially when riding on a hot day. Additionally, it has proven to reduce fatigue even when riding on challenging dirt tracks.
- Design and construction – Some of you might prefer aggressive styling for motocross helmets, while others don’t. Remember that the more eye-catching your helmet is, the more you are visible to other riders and motorists. You should also take note of the materials used for crafting the helmet and ensure that it is made from durable materials.
- Price – While this is not the most important, it can also determine when you are already at the counter. Ensure you have read this section to relate the most important features to the helmet’s price. That way, you will know which offers you the most value.
Top Five Picks for the Best Motocross Helmets
In this section, we will be discussing the top five recommendations for the best motocross helmets. We will also be providing you with some of each product’s key features, pros, and cons, which will help you narrow down your choices.
1. XFMT Youth Kids Motocross Helmet
The XFMT motocross helmet features a glossy UV protective finish and comes in three sizes: small, medium, and large. It is extremely lightweight and is equipped with a durable composite shell. What makes this helmet one of the best out there is that it has a heavily cushioned and comfortable interior, in which the padding can be removed and washed.
Once you wear this motocross helmet, you will notice that it is very well-vented for summer or winter riding and off-road riding. It has a sleek modular design and has been certified DOT-safe. Every purchase of this motocross helmet comes with a helmet, a pair of goggles, a pair of gloves, and a helmet bag.
- Durable and lightweight
- Well-vented for summer and winter riding
- UV protection is guaranteed
- Comes with a complete package
- Comfortable to use
Accessories such as gloves and goggles are almost adult-sized but work the way they should. Given all the features, it sure is still a great buy.
2. O’Neal 0623-055 3 Series Helmet
The O’Neal model meets DOT, ECE 22-05, and AS/NZS safety standards and offers a removable, washable liner, venting system, and an adjustable visor design.
It is comfortable to wear and offers a thick liner that wicks away sweat. It is interesting to know that the helmet comes with a transportation bag. It has Dot protection but doesn’t say anything about being Snell certified.
This motocross helmet comes with ventilation ports on the chin bar, which can help keep things cool and comfortable even when riding on a hot summer day. The best thing, probably, about this helmet is its popularity. You can feel good about getting a helmet that lots of people enjoy.
- Comes with a UV-protected finish
- It is sleek, lightweight, and comfortable to use
- It is well ventilated
- Padding can be removed and washed
The TMS motocross helmet is one of the best-looking designs, I think. It is a trusted brand that people use again and again over time. That doesn’t mean it’s the best, but it has a reliable track record.
3. YEMA Motorcycle Motocross ATV Helmet
The YEMA motocross helmet is a professional-grade helmet that not only meets but exceeds DOT standards. It has a fashionable design that also comes with a lot of innovative features. Overall, it can be exactly what you need for different applications such as motocross, ATV, dirt bike, MX, Adventure, and a lot more.
It is constructed from outstanding materials: an aerodynamic shell, multi-density EPS, a double D-ring buckle, and a reinforced chin strap. Its ventilation system is also top-notch, as it has fully adjustable intake and exhaust vents. Lastly, it offers comfortable liner and pads, which is also removable and, at the same time, washable.
- Comfortable to use
- Exceeds DOT standards
- Offers extra space for glasses and Bluetooth speakers
- It can be used for multiple applications
The YEMA motocross helmet offers a lot of good features. It fits great and has multiple air vents.
4. GLX DOT Youth Kids Motocross Helmet
The GLX motocross helmet is a lightweight helmet that only measures 2.8 pounds. It meets DOT safety standards and has at least 14 venting ports that allow superior airflow even on a hot day. It has sweat-absorbing liners that prevent your sweat from dripping into your eyes. Just like the previous models, it also has removable and washable liners.
What sets this helmet apart is that it is equipped with an adjustable sun shield and a convenient quick-release strap. Every purchase of this helmet comes with a helmet, a pair of gloves, a pair of goggles, and a separate bag for the helmet and the goggles.
- It comes with a gloves and goggles
- Flexibility to select from four different sizes
- Easy to put on
- DOT certified safety
- The liner prevents sweat from dripping
Good helmet for off-road use.
5. Dual Sport Helmet by NENKI Full Face Motocross & Motorcycle Helmets Dot Approved With Iridium Red Visor Attached Clear Visor NK-310
The Nenki motocross helmet is loaded with advanced and innovative features, including removable lining, a comfortable liner, a ventilation system, and dual sport capability.
You’ll get a clear iridium visor that you can flip up as needed. You will also get a removable snap-in liner if you need to wash it. Fortunately, it is DOT approved and helps keep you safe and comfortable while on or off the road.
- Comes with a complete package
- Offers improved visibility with a clear visor
- Comfortable to use
- Well ventilated
- Has durable construction
The Nenki motocross helmet might be more suitable as a dual-sport option. Some features are very good, while some parts seem to be less durable.
If you are getting serious about motocross, you should consider buying only the best motocross helmets available right now. It may seem confusing at first, but if you are armed with the right knowledge, choosing the best one will be much easier. Even if your decision comes down to the price, you should always consider all the advanced features that you will most benefit from.