There is a lot of epoxy primers available, which makes it complicated to decide which one to buy. Aside from all the brands, there are also a number of different types, and each one’s purpose is specific. There are primers whose materials are made of lacquer, urethane, or acrylic, and they also come in different colors.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about epoxy primers. What it is, its benefits, some of its types, as well as the important factors to consider will be discussed. We will also have a section wherein we will discuss the top four recommendations for the best epoxy primer. With each one’s features, pros, and cons, we hope you will be well-informed after reading this article.
What is an Epoxy Primer
An epoxy primer is a sealer whose finish is non-porous. Most of the time, it is used to ready the bare metal for coating or painting. It is also recommended as the initial coat on top of the bare steel. It is often used to paint over plastic, iron phosphate coating, or even fiberglass.
Though it is not recommended to use to fill imperfections, it can be used on dents, as well as on cracks. It has an excellent bonding capacity that makes a great finish on the surface of the metal. It provides outstanding adhesion to metals, and it also serves as the correct base paint for additional undercoat products. To sum up, it is the perfect choice to repair portions wherein there is exposed metal.
Using epoxy primers provides the user with a lot of advantages aside from maximum protection and adhesion. The main advantage of epoxy primers is that they don’t soak up moisture because they are non-porous. Since it’s waterproof, it is an excellent choice for its corrosion-resistant characteristics. Another thing is that they can be used for tank exteriors, power plants, water treatment, power plants, and marine applications.
Another benefit of epoxy primers is that they can be used to waterproof surfaces that are usually exposed to oxidation. They are also used on steel coatings for high-build extra layers of paint. Lastly, they are fitted to use on prepared concrete and steel.
Types of Epoxy Primers
In this section, we will be discussing the types of epoxy primers. This section is also very important since it can help you narrow down your choices. Pick one that is perfect for your specific needs and intended applications.
- Aerosol Can Epoxy Primer: If you want the convenience that a spray nozzle can offer, this would be perfect for you. With spray gun results, you can ensure that the application is even on the surfaces of metals. The only downside of this can be the limited content. You may be working on a project, and before you know it, the can is empty. That’s why buying spare cans is advisable if you want this type of epoxy primer.
- Large Bottle or Bucket Epoxy Primer: This is the more common type of epoxy primer. It comes in two parts: the epoxy primer and the hardener. The two components should be mixed thoroughly before application. The advantage of this type of primer is that you can calculate the amount you will be using. Another great feature is that you can store it for extended periods of time.
Essential Factors to Consider in Choosing the Best Epoxy Primer
Before we end our discussion of the best epoxy primer, we should lastly talk about what to look for. There are great epoxy primers available in the market right now, that’s why choosing the best one can be frustrating. If you take a look at this list, we’ll be giving you the factors you have to take into consideration.
- Easy to Use: You might want an epoxy primer that is very easy to use. You don’t want any complications or complex instructions when the job is very easy. Some products in the list provided above need to have their contents mixed, and some come in sprays. The one you should buy should be dependent on the purpose you are using it for.
- Corrosion Resistance: The one you should buy must have this capability. As epoxy primers are applied for superior adhesion, corrosion resistance should also be considered.
- Application: Some products cannot be applied to every surface. Buy an epoxy primer that can be applied to a variety of surfaces, such as fiberglass, plastic, and steel.
- Price: In searching for the best epoxy primer, price should also be considered as a defining factor. There are a lot of expensive ones that do not deliver outstanding results. That’s why it is very important that you review which one is more valuable for your money than the others.
Top Four Recommendations for the Best Epoxy Primer
Product (Amazon Links)
In this section, we will be discussing the top four choices for the best epoxy primer. We will talk about some of their features, as well as their pros and cons. This section is considered as one of the most important, so you have to pay attention.
1. Custom Shop Black Epoxy Prime/Sealer 2.1 VOC (1 Quart Kit)
The Black (available in grey and white) Epoxy Primer Kit includes 1 Pint of epoxy primer and 1 pint of epoxy hardener. It is stated in the instructions that the components must be mixed thoroughly. In addition, you should not mix material more than you will need. One great feature of this product is that you don’t have to wait for an induction time.
This product is an outstanding corrosion resisting epoxy primer that provides superior adhesion to metals. The direct to metal seal is very easy to sand and topcoat. Also, it can be applied to materials made up of aluminum, fiberglass, plastic and steel. It will provide superior hide and protection on the surfaces of your metals. Lastly, this product is chromate-free and the item weight is 3 pounds.
- Direct to metal
- Kit already includes 1-quart epoxy primer and 1-pint hardener
- No induction time is required
- Offers corrosion-resistant material
- Provides superior adhesion and hide
- It can be used for aluminum, fiberglass, steel, and plastic
- No warranty information available
- You have to clean the paint gun immediately after use
2. Epoxy Fast Dry 2.1 low VOC DTM Primer & Sealer Gray Gallon Kit, SMR-260G/261
The Epoxy Fast Dry kit includes 2.1 pounds of epoxy primer (SMR-260G) and 1 quart of epoxy catalyst (SMR-261). The SMR-260 is an easy sanding and fast dry epoxy primer that comes in great colors and gloss holdout. The kit has an easy 4:1 mix epoxy primer that has an optional 5 to 10% reduction with 0 voc reducer. One great feature of this product is that it can be used both as a sealer and as a primer.
This type of epoxy primer offers maximum adhesion to aluminum, fiberglass, steel, as well as on top of existing finishes. To add, it also provides superior corrosion resistance and adhesion like the other products on this list. Another great thing about the epoxy fast dry is that is it relatively thicker than other commercial type primers. Lastly, it offers super smooth finish on the surface of the metal.
- Dual use: as a primer and as a sealer
- Comes in great colors
- Offers superior gloss holdout
- Provides corrosion resistance and adhesion
- Thicker than other brands
- A reducer should always be used
- Thickness may also be considered as a disadvantage
3. Raptor 4:1 Anti-Corrosive Epoxy Primer Kit UP4831 Gray 1L
The Gray epoxy primer kit consists of 1-liter primer when both containers are mixed. This can cover 60 sq feet at 3 MIL.
This epoxy has some great features, such as excellent salt spray resistance, it can be applied directly over rusty surfaces, and it can also be applied wet on wet.
This epoxy work, in conjunction with Raptor coating, will protect from corrosion and resist salt damage.
- Kit already includes 1-Liter of epoxy when mixed
- Provides corrosion resistance
- Offers outstanding adhesion
- May not be exactly a grey color
- No warranty information is available
4. USC 2K Spray Max Epoxy Primer Paint Aerosol
The USC 2K Spray Max Epoxy Primer is a product that will offer you excellent adhesion and corrosion resistance. It will also provide your metal with superior build and fill. Not only that, this epoxy primer is also very easy to use. You just have to activate, shake, and spray. Like all the other products on this list, it can provide adhesion to almost all surfaces, not only metal.
One great feature of this product is that the nozzle can deliver spray gun results. This product will offer you more convenience than the others. To use this epoxy primer, you first have to apply it to the prime. After that, you can now fill metal surfaces prior to painting or polyester product application.
- Provides excellent adhesion and corrosion resistance
- Offers outstanding fill and build
- Easy to use
- Has a one kind of nozzle that delivers a spray gun finish
- It can be applied to all metal surfaces
- No warranty information is available
- Cleaning the spray gun immediately after use is a must
Now that we have discussed all you need to know about epoxy primers, we hope we have given you some enlightenment. Choosing the best epoxy primer may be tricky, but with this guide, it should be an easier task. With the product reviews and their pros and cons, you will be able to narrow down your choices and pick the best one.
Looking for other products that you can buy and use for your vehicle? Click here to learn more about other options that you can consider.