Safety is an important concern in many households. With this, it is easy to understand why many people are willing to invest in technologies that can provide them with peace of mind. A driveway alarm is one of the perfect examples of this. Whether in your bedroom, kitchen, garden, or anywhere inside the house, the alarm will provide an audible alert once an intruder enters your property.
To help you buy the best driveway alarms and make the right decision, these are some of the most important things that you have to keep in mind:
- Reviews: Pros and Cons
- Range: The range between the sensor and the receiver.
- Ease of Installation: Comprehensive instructions are available.
- Durability: Weatherproof and long-lasting.
- Accuracy: It should perform well in the dark and snow.
- Price: Provides excellent value for money.
- Warranty: It should have a full refund policy or at least one to two years’ lasting warranty.
In the rest of this post, we will briefly look at some of the top picks for the best driveway alarms. The options are abundant, but this should not be an excuse to decide in haste. We will also tackle some of the most important considerations that will make it possible to narrow down the choices and arrive at the right decision.
Benefits of Installing a Driveway Alarm
Here are some of the things that can convince you that a driveway alarm is indeed a must-have in every household:
- Prevent Theft: With an alarm installed, you will be alerted as soon as someone enters the driveway. This will prevent the possibility of theft. It is like having an eye that keeps watching the driveway.
- Protect Children: Children are naturally playful and can be in the driveway when they are not supposed to be there. The alarm can send a warning that your children are playing outside.
- Ease of Installation: Another good thing about driveway alarms is that they are effortless to install. You do not need a helping hand. They are also wireless; in most products, they already include everything you will need.
Types of Driveway Alarms
One of the first things you must do is decide on the type of alarm you will buy. In this case, these are the choices that you have:
- Wired Driveway Alarm: It comes with a sensor and receiver, but a wire connects the two. The installation may take quite some time because you need to configure the wires. It can also be challenging how to keep the wires out of sight.
- Wireless Driveway Alarm: This is the more popular option of the two. It also has a receiver and a sensor, but the signal is transmitted wirelessly. There is no hassle of setting up the wires, making the installation less complicated.
They can also be different on the type of sensor that is used. Here are some of the options that you will have:
- Infrared Sensor: It makes use of heat for the detection of the movement of people and objects. It is wireless.
- Magnetic Probe Sensor: This type can be either wired or wireless. It is for the detection of metal objects only.
- Rubber Hose Sensor: As the name implies, the sensor is housed in a rubber hose. A car, object, or person passing over the hose will trigger the alarm.
- Photo Beam Sensor: They are equipped with two or more sensors. They are on opposite ends, and the alarm is activated only when both are able to detect something. This is good as it makes false alarms almost impossible.
Essential Factors to Consider
To help in narrowing down the possibilities and making the right decision, these are some of the most important things that you have to keep in mind:
- Reviews: To start with, you have to read online reviews to help you weigh the pros and cons of the possibilities. You can learn a lot from the real-life experiences of other people, such as the reliability and longevity of the sensor.
- Range: The sensor and receiver range is also an important consideration. To add, you also have to consider the sensor’s range and the object it can detect. As always, the farther it can detect, the better the driveway alarm is.
- Ease of Installation: When evaluating the choices for the best driveway alarms, ensure they are user-friendly. The installation must be a snap to accomplish. There should be comprehensive instructions, and all the things that you need for its assembly must already be part of the kit.
- Durability: You also have to take time to evaluate the materials and construction of the driveway alarm. It is better if the alarm is weatherproof, especially because you can use it outdoors. If it is long-lasting, it can provide excellent value for money.
- Accuracy: The accuracy of the alarm should be at the top of the list of things you must consider. Will it perform well even in the dark or when there is snow? Is the manufacturer truthful with the range of motion detection that it claims? These are some of the most important questions to ask to help you trim down the choices.
- Price: I suggest you not consider buying only one product because it is cheap. If I were you, I am not going to hesitate to spend my money on a product that delivers better quality. Even if it is expensive, it should not matter if it can provide superior functionality.
- Warranty: Most of the products you can find on the market will have a warranty lasting from one to two years. It will be better if they offer not only repair but also a full refund of what you have paid if in case you are unhappy with how the product works.
Reviews of the Best Driveway Alarms
To make your search a lot easier, here are five of the brands and models that can offer the best bang for the buck. We’ll also give you a peek at their notable features to be convinced that they are indeed amongst the best.
1. Guardline Wireless Driveway Alarm
A high-end option for a driveway alarm, this is one product that can definitely provide excellent value for money. Among others, one thing that makes this impressive is the simplicity of its set-up, which can be completed even on your own.
In terms of range, this is also exceptional. You can have peace of mind since it can detect motion from a distance of up to 40 feet.
Another thing that makes it great is its overall construction. Indeed, it is built to last. It is made of long-lasting materials, including industrial-grade PVC housing. It also has a rubberized seal that is weather resistant.
To guarantee its exceptional performance, the alarm has undergone thorough testing. It has been tested in environments with gusty winds and storms, among others, to ensure it performs at its best, even in extreme conditions.
Lastly, for you to have peace of mind, it is also a good thing that the manufacturer offers a warranty that lasts for two years. They also provide reliable customer support.
- Installation is easy to accomplish
- Tones can be customized
- Comes with a two-year warranty
Despite being expensive, this is an option worth considering. It has a long motion detection range, durable construction, and good warranty coverage.
2. Chamberlain CWA2000 Motion Alarm
For an adorable driveway alarm, this is one option that should be on the top of the list. More than its price, its detection range is also impressive. The receiver will be able to receive the signal from a range of half a mile. Meanwhile, the sensor will be able to detect motion from a distance of up to 30 feet.
In terms of installation, there is no need to ask for a helping hand from a pro. You can easily do it even on your own. There are no wires that need to be connected, which will make the assembly easy to accomplish.
Also, it is worth noting that the Passive Infrared Sensor has a weatherproof construction. You can put it outdoors without worrying that it will be easily damaged by rain or the sun’s heat. However, in environments that are too cold, the sensitivity of the alarm can be negatively affected.
- Has a long-range detection
- Sensitivity can be customized
This is the right choice if you are looking for a budget-friendly alternative. It has a good detection range and weatherproof construction, but it may have problems during winter.
3. Mighty Mule FM231 Wireless Driveway Alarm
Another affordable option for a driveway alarm, it has up to 400 feet in the range between the indoor receiver and the sensor that is installed outdoors. This should be more than enough to provide you with peace of mind round-the-clock.
Like most of the products we have identified in this post, its installation is also something you can accomplish without complication. One thing that makes this possible is the electromagnetic sensor wand. The latter also effectively detects motion within a 3 to 12 feet radius.
It is also good that it comes with a low battery indicator so that you will know when to replace the AA batteries.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a one-year warranty and technical support.
- Impressive detection accuracy
- Easy to install
- Low battery indicator
This affordable driveway sensor has a 400-foot range between the sensor and the receiver. It comes with a low-battery indicator and a 12-month warranty.
4. Driveway Informer Wireless Driveway Alarm
With a 1,000-foot range, this is one of the alarms with the longest range that you can find on the market. It is possible to buy more sensors and receivers as you can connect them with each other.
When it comes to construction, you will also love how it comes with an all-weather body, which will make it possible to have it installed even outdoors.
The installation will also be almost effortless on your end, especially because the manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions on completing its assembly. The bracket and screws are already included in the kit.
Lastly, purchasing this driveway alarm is sure to be risk-free. The manufacturer is offering a one-year warranty. If you are unhappy with how it works, you can contact the manufacturer, and they will extend an unconditional refund.
- Durable construction
- Easy to operate
- Risk-free purchase
This expensive driveway alarm comes with an extensive detection range, a one-year guarantee of satisfaction, and weatherproof construction.
5. Safeguard Supply Wireless Driveway Alarm
For a budget-friendly alternative, it is worth considering this driveway alarm. It comes with a 1,000-foot range, which makes it one of the best you can find on the market, especially within its price range.
The receiver comes with a flashing light indicator and a knob that will make it easy to adjust the volume as preferred. It is also a good thing that you can choose how you will be alerted when the sensor is able to detect something. You can choose from a chime, flashing strobe, or a combination of chime and strobe.
Lastly, it has a two-year warranty from the manufacturer. If you are dissatisfied with the alarm within two years, return it to the manufacturer, and they will issue a replacement or a full refund. No matter what happens, your satisfaction is guaranteed.
- Easy to operate
- Weatherproof construction
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
Although this is not as popular as its leading competitors, this can still be a good choice as it is easy to operate, has a long detection range, and comes with a two-year warranty.
Indeed, the best driveway alarms will provide you with peace of mind. You can keep an eye on your property even without always having to be by the gate. You can be easily notified when there is an intruder. For the best product, keep an eye on the options that have been mentioned above, and we guarantee that you will not have regrets.