If you are thinking of upgrading the suspension of your vehicle, without a doubt, a Coilover is one of the upgrades worth considering. It can be effective in changing the height of the vehicle and in the improvement of its handling. While it is beneficial in more ways than one, all the good things will be realized only if you end up choosing the right product.
To buy the best Coilover kits, here are some of the most important buying considerations:
- Reviews: Positive online reviews
- Price: Provides excellent value for money
- Inclusions: The kit should have everything needed to complete the installation.
- Construction: It should be made of Aluminum or stainless steel
- Compatibility: It should be compatible with your vehicle
- Outcome: It should provide a smooth and desired outcome.
- Warranty: Comes with a long warranty coverage
While there is an abundance of options for the best Coilover kits, this should not give you an excuse to choose just any product and expect that it will deliver superior quality and functionality. You have to be a responsible buyer and take time to assess the possibilities, which is exactly why you need to read this guide before you make a purchase decision.
What is a Coilover?
When it comes to vehicle suspensions, you will have two main choices – spring and Coilover. In the rest of this post, the focus will be on Coilover. The latter is a shorthand for coil spring over the shock. A kit is inclusive of a shock absorber, which is encircled with a coil spring. They are already pre-assembled upon purchase.
In a Coilover, the spring is the one that is responsible for carrying all the weight. The shock absorber, on the other hand, has the main purpose of dampening any bouncing that could possibly be created by the spring.
Benefits of a Coilover
A lot of you might see Coilover as an unnecessary and expensive upgrade. Once you are familiar with the benefits, however, you might find it easier to be convinced that this can indeed prove to be an excellent investment.
- Good Handling: This is perhaps the best thing that could summarize the advantage of having a Coilover suspension. Compared to other stock suspensions, this can deliver a better performance.
- Adjustability: If you want your suspension to be customizable, you will have another good reason to choose a Coilover. This will allow you to enjoy a low ride for your vehicle and will provide you with complete freedom to adjust your suspension.
- Specialized Setup: Some people do not really need to be provided with a concrete reason why they should install a crossover. They are only after the prestige, being able to tell their friends that they have performed a great upgrade in the suspension of their vehicle.
While it can indeed be beneficial, it is also important to point out that there are also some weaknesses. One of the most commonly cited drawbacks of a Coilover is its stiffness. There is also a possibility that it will fail. Nonetheless, these concerns will only be true if you opt for a product that comes with inferior quality. This makes it important to be a wise buyer and choose carefully.
Types of Coilover Kits
Before you decide which one will be the best pick, you first have to be familiar with the types that are available and how they are different from one another. When you are aware of the mechanism by which they work, you can easily reach a well-informed decision:
- Coilover Sleeves: Of the four types that will be mentioned, this is the one that comes with the lowest price. Their height can be adjusted. It is almost similar to the way lowering springs work.
- Non-Shock Adjustable Coilovers: This also comes at an affordable price, although not as cheap as the one identified above. Its height can also be adjusted, but you won’t be able to customize its stiffness and compression, as well as the shock rebound. Most of those that fall under this type already come pre-assembled.
- Shock Adjustable Coilovers: This is quite the same as the non-shock adjustable Coilover, with the main difference being the fact that it comes with a better shock.
- Shock Adjustable Coilovers with Camber Kit: For a balanced suspension upgrade, this is the best type that you have to take into consideration. The height and the shocks are adjustable. It is also inclusive of a camber kit, making it able to provide value for money.
How to Choose the Best Coilover Kits?
To create a shortlist of choices and decide which one can provide the best value for money, here are some of the most important buying considerations:
- Reviews: There is perhaps no better way to get started with your search than through reading reviews of other people. Through the feedback and real-life experiences that they are sharing, you will be able to learn a thing or two and make the right decision.
- Price: The truth is, most of you will probably think of choosing a cheap product because it is easier on the wallet. Nonetheless, you have to proceed with caution as this could compromise performance. You should not hesitate to spend a little more if this means that you can enjoy a product with functionality that is hard to rival.
- Inclusions: Because you are buying a kit, you have to take a look at what is included in the package. Some options can be cheaper compared to others, but this can be because they are incomplete. It would be better if the kit came with everything that would be needed to complete the installation.
- Construction: This refers to the materials that are used in the Coilovers. Aluminum and stainless steel are two of the most popular, which are both great in terms of their durability. It will also be good if you will choose one that is zinc-plated, which is known for its ability to resist corrosion.
- Compatibility: Take note that not all Coilover kits are created equal. Before you buy, you have to make sure that it is compatible with the vehicle where it will be placed. Otherwise, you will just end up wasting your money.
- Outcome: Of course, you have to think of how the overall performance of your car will change after installing the Coilover. This will be easier to determine if you look at the technical specifications of the product and see what it can do to your suspension. The ride must be smooth, and the desired height must be achieved.
- Warranty: Look for a Coilover that comes with long warranty coverage. Perhaps, choose one with a limited lifetime warranty for your peace of mind. Do not forget to read the terms and conditions of the warranty. In the case of some models, the warranty will not be honored if the installation is not completed by a professional.
Top Picks for the Best Coilover Kits
In this section, we will briefly go through five of the best products that you can find on the market, as well as the features that give them an edge over others.
1. Honda Civic Suspension Strut Damper with Coilover Kit
Among others, one thing that makes this exceptional is its high-quality construction. The springs are made from CNC-machined steel. On the other hand, the shocks are made from aluminum. With the combination of such materials, you can anticipate that it will be able to withstand the test of time.
Take note that the product does not come with installation instructions. The manufacturer recommends that the installation should be done only by a trained professional to be sure that the anticipated outcomes will be enjoyed.
The package is inclusive of four Coilover dampers and two spanner wrenches. It also comes with uncompromising quality and performance.
This is a Coilover kit that is suitable for the 96-00 Honda Civic.
- Durable construction
Although few reviews are available online, this can prove to be an excellent choice because of its excellent construction and ability to significantly improve comfort on every ride.
2. FK-Street Line Coilover Kit
Similar to the Coilover that has been mentioned above, the construction of this kit is also one of its best assets. High-grade stainless steel is the material of choice in each Coilover. To make it even better, it is also plated with zinc, which is beneficial in terms of preventing corrosion.
Aside from the material, the overall construction of the Coilover is also worth noting. There is a built-in bump stop and help spring incorporated in every Coilover. The latter will provide the assurance that the main spring will be secured in its position after lowering.
This product seems to be premium construction. Plus, it is already inclusive of spanner wrenches and sway bar end links.
The Coilover kit is designed specifically for BMW, although the manufacturer notes that it will not work for XI or M3 models.
To be provided with peace of mind, it is also good to know that the manufacturer is offering a two-year warranty. However, for the warranty to be valid, the installation must be accomplished by a professional.
- Made from corrosion-resistant material
- Extensive warranty coverage
This can be a great product given its stainless steel construction and 2-year warranty coverage.
3. ST Suspension 90888 Coilover Kit
This can be a great choice because of its superb quality. It comes with threaded shock bodies, making it easy to adjust its height without compromising safety. It is designed in such a way that the height can be adjusted from the four corners.
The zinc plating in the body of the Coilover is also a great thing, as it can resist corrosion, making it withstand wear.
One more thing that makes this exceptional is having twin-tube technology, another innovative feature that gives it an edge over its competitors. This improves driving dynamics while also minimizing vibration.
- Delivers a smooth ride
- Can resist corrosion
This Coilover is zinc-plated, which makes it resist corrosion. There is also an innovative technology that allows it to lessen vibration.
4. Fabtech FTS2400K Coilover Kit
This Coilover kit comes with a take-apart race shock and a body that is fully threaded. When it is installed, it will be easy to adjust the height of your car, which can improve its performance.
One of the highlights of this product is the twin-tube hydraulic shock absorber, which can provide exceptional dampening. The cell foam insert is also a plus, which helps in the prevention of shock fade.
If you still need a reason to be convinced to choose this product, it may help to know that it comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty, providing a guarantee of your satisfaction.
- Excellent construction
- Extensive warranty coverage
This Coilover kit has a closed-cell foam insert, a twin-tube hydraulic shock absorber, and a limited lifetime warranty.
5. maXpeedingrods Coilover Kit
The components included in this kit are made of 6063 aluminum, which is known for being lightweight in the absence of compromising durability. It also comes with a high-tensile spring, which has been continuously tested 600,000 times, and the outcomes showed that it did not suffer from significant distortion.
All of the inserts that come with this kit are equipped with rubber boots, which are effective in protecting the damper and keeping the components clean.
- Has an excellent fit
This product will give you a good reason to have it chosen. It is made of aluminum and has high-tensile performance.
In sum, the best Coilover kits mentioned above will indeed be great choices for providing the suspension with a quick upgrade. To differentiate the options available, be sure to look beyond price. Consider how durable they are and how comfortable the ride can be once they are already installed.