If you have a car with turbo-charged engine, you will most probably need the best blow-off valve, also known as diverter or pop-off valve, among other names. It is the one that creates a powerful sound, which is easily associated with turbo cars. More than this, it is also responsible for protecting the engine and making sure that the car retains its tip-top performance.
In the rest of this guide, we will help you find a blow-off valve that will be perfect for your needs. We will identify some of the most important factors to consider, as well as five of the best products that can provide the best value for money.
What is a Blow Off Valve?
To begin with, let me tell you one thing – a blow-off valve is not necessary for all cars. It will be a waste of money if you buy one and in the end, you realize that this is not actually required by your vehicle. A blow off valve is an essential for turbocharged and supercharged cars. The following are some of the reasons why you need to have blow-off valves:
- Create a Loud Sound: This might seem like pretentious or annoying, but when you have a turbo-charged engine, you will need a blow-off valve. The whoosh noise that is created by this device will make it easy for your car to be noticed on the road, making many envious of what you are driving.
- Prolong the Life of your Turbocharger: Another good thing about using the best blow-off valve is that it aids in the prevention of surge loading, which can be instrumental in extending the lifespan of both the engine and the turbocharger.
- Improve Performance: Your turbo car will surely demonstrate optimal performance with a best blow-off valve. It is effective in the maintenance of turbine speeds in between shifts. In turn, this enhances speed and overall performance of your car.
- Prevent Expensive Repairs: Prevention is better than cure. This holds true even in the case of your car. A blow-off valve is one of the things that will help in the prevention of suffering from costly repairs in the future.
Types of Blow-Off Valves
It is important to decide on the specific type of the blow-off valve that is perfect for your needs. In this case, the following are two of the options that are available in the market:
- Vented Blow-off Valve: In the case of this blow-off valve, the air will be released in the atmosphere. One of its greatest advantages over its counterpart is that its installation is easier.
- Recirculated Blow-off Valve: With this blow-off valve, on the other hand, there will be recirculation of air back to the system. If you have a Mass Air Flow sensor, this is the perfect choice for you.
Top Picks for the Best Blow-Off Valve
Go Fast Bits
Go Fast Bits
If you have no idea on what to purchase, below are five products that you should include in your list of choices.
Essential Factors to Consider
As you try to narrow down the possibilities and make the right decision, here are some of the things that should be taken into account:
- Reviews: The first thing that you have to do is to seek for the opinions of other people. A lot of them are generous enough to go online and write about their experiences. You can learn a lot from what they are saying, which will also make it easy to weigh the good and the bad for each option.
- Compatibility: Blow-off valves do not offer universal compatibility. With this, avoid wasting your money by doing your research to know which one is compatible for your vehicle.
- Size: 40mm is perhaps the most popular diameter for a blow-off valve. However, there are some cars that may require a different size. With this, you should know how much space is available for installation to choose a valve that is compatible for your car.
- Noise Rating: Earlier, we have noted that a blow-off vale will add whoosh to your car, making it produce a noise that will turn heads. The level of noise that it produces, however, will differ from one product to another.
- Installation: Ideally, you should find one that is user-friendly, which means that its installation can be accomplished in a snap. You do not need the help of the pros to accomplish this task. It is important that there are detailed instructions to guide you through the process.
- Maintenance: Through the years, your blow-off valve will be prone to wear and tear. Leaking is one problem that is common, which will significantly weaken its performance. With this, you should choose one that is easy to maintain, which can be tantamount to extended lifespan.
- Price: Yes, it is tempting to choose a blow-off valve that comes with a cheap price. However, this is one thing that you can possibly regret in the future. It should be seen as an essential investment. Even if the valve is expensive, if the performance is unmatched, it will be a good product to purchase.
Now that you are done reading, I hope that you already know how to choose the best blow-off valve. It can be a lot more complicated than what you think, especially because of the abundance of the options that are available in the market. To make things easier, keep an eye on the five brands and models mentioned above.
A blow-off valve is just one of the essentials for your car. To know more about the other things that you might need, click here.