Are you thinking of the perfect way to improve audio experience in your car? While it is cheap to get stuck with your factory-installed sound system, oftentimes, the latter is weak and won’t be enough to optimize the quality of sound. With this, there is one thing that you can do – install the best 15-inch subwoofer.
Subwoofers are amongst the most important components of your car’s audio setup. While they can be highly instrumental in improving sound, the latter will only be the case if you choose the right product. If you have no idea on how to make the right choice, I am here to help you. Keep on reading the rest of this guide and learn more about subwoofers, including some of the best options that are available in the market.
What is a 15-inch Subwoofer?
First, let us talk about what a subwoofer is in general. Basically, it is the one responsible for the production of tones that are very low for the dynamic range of your audio system. Most of the models that are available today are powered subwoofers. Simply put, this means that they have their own crossover network and a built-in amplifier, both of which are able to significantly improve the quality of sound.
When it comes to subwoofers, size is a critical consideration. The smaller ones are less powerful. If you want larger sound, on the other hand, a larger subwoofer will also be essential. Many people are contented with an 8-inch subwoofer. If you want one that has decent power and just the right size for your car, on the other hand, the best 15-inch subwoofer is what you should have.
Top Picks for the Best 15-inch Subwoofer
If you are having difficulty selecting a 15-inch subwoofer that will complete your audio setup, in this section, we will have a rundown of some of the best brands and models you might want to include in your list of choices.
Types of Subwoofers
Generally speaking, the following are the types of subwoofers that you can find in the market:
- Powered Subwoofer: This is an all-in-one system, which means that all of the components are together in a single enclosure, which will include amplifier and driver, among others. Also called active subwoofers, there is a single connection with more than enough power for your needs. This will also simplify the installation process.
- Passive Subwoofer: In this case, on the other hand, a single enclosure would only consist of the speaker driver. The best thing about this subwoofer is that it is space-efficient, which makes it the perfect choice if you have a small car. Take note, however, that you will need to invest in an external amplifier. This can be an added cost.
Essential Factors to Consider
Choosing the best 15-inch subwoofer can be a challenging task, especially for beginners. To be assured that you will make the right choice, the following are some of the most important things that should be taken into account:
- Power: This is important as it will be indicative of the overall performance that you can expect from the subwoofer, including the quality of sound output. The RMS power should perfectly complement the other components of your audio system, specifically the amplifier.
- Enclosure: It will house your subwoofer. One of the most popular options is a sealed enclosure, which is perfect for low frequencies. If you want better power handling and the ability to prevent distortion, a vented enclosure is highly-recommended. On the other hand, to enjoy the benefits of both types, choose bandpass enclosure.
- Sensitivity: This is another technical specification that will have an impact on the sound that will be created by the system. If the sensitivity rating is higher, this means that it will require lesser power to produce bigger sounds.
- Voice Coils: Also known as former, this will affect the current that passes through the system. One of the options is a singer coil, which means that one wire will be connected to a magnet. This is the ideal choice if you are looking for a budget-friendly option. Dual voice coil, on the other hand, will have two wires. It offers better flexibility in terms of wiring. Lastly, a quad coil, obviously, has four wires. There are two subwoofers in a single enclosure. This is also the most expensive from the three.
- Impedance: Generally, the impedance of most of the car subwoofers will range from 2 to 8 ohms. This will have an effect on the flow of current. See to it that the impedance will be compatible with the requirements of your speaker.
- Compatibility: Choose a subwoofer that is compatible not only with the size of your car, but also with the other components of your sound system. If they are not compatible with each other, you will end up with inferior sound quality, and hence, your subwoofer will be put into waste.
- Reviews: If the above factors are too technical for you, it would be best to rely on the feedbacks of other people. A lot have shared their experiences in the form of online reviews, which will make it easier for you to see which amongst the alternatives can provide excellent sound quality at a cost that is appropriate for your budget.
In sum, the best 15-inch subwoofer will prove to be an excellent addition to your car’s sound system. This is necessary to improve the overall sound experience, which is not possible if you opt to simply retain your factory-installed speakers. It will also be vital in the prevention of distortion and in prolonging the lifespan of your speakers.
Not all 15-inch subwoofers are created the same. It is inevitable that one subwoofer will be better than the other. With this, you should be a responsible buyer. Consider the factors that have been mentioned above to differentiate the possibilities. To make things easier, narrow down the possibilities to the five models that have been mentioned above. We took a look at the experiences of other people and the technical specifications of these subwoofers.
Interested in learning more about other components that you can install in your car? Click on this link and know about other products that you might want to consider having.