Is your windshield cracked and you want to repair it? If yes, then you have come to the right place. You can repair a cracked windshield by yourself by following the given tips in this guide. Performing your windshield crack repairs can be so much easy if you do it properly. It can save your money and time as well.
Sometimes, a small chip or crack on the windshield can be the cause of more windshield damage. So you need to repair it soon to avoid any further damage. Windshield crack is not among the car problems to avoid. Small windshield crack can turn into bigger cracks if it is not fixed in time.
There are some cracks that cannot be repaired and you have to hire professionals:
- If there is a crack on any interior part of windshield
- Cracks through all windshield’s layers
- Crack that impairs view of driver
- Complex cracks
- Big spider cracks
- Long cracks (over 18”)
- Contaminated Cracks
- Cracks on the edge of windshield
You can repair Small windshield crack. Here in this guide, we have mentioned some tips to repair cracked windshield with Windshield crack repair kits.
Here are some steps that you need to follow:
First of all, you need to take a close look at a crack. You can examine it carefully with a magnifying glass. You need to check if your windshield can be repaired or it needs to be replaced entirely. If it can be repaired, you can follow the below-given instructions:
1. Buy a Windshield Repair Kit
First of all, you need to buy Windshield Repair Kit from the departmental store or auto part store. You can also buy it online. You should look for the DIY repair kit. You should look for a kit with a bridge applicator. It is used to fasten to the screen of glass.
2. You Should Use The Sunshine or UV Lamps
When you fill the crack, it will need UV light to finish the whole crack repairing process. You can do it on a sunny day or use UV lamps. You should start repairing on a sunny day and avoid wintery, rainy or tough day.
3. Use Gloves to tap out cracked glass
You should wear gloves to tap out the cracked glass. You can use any thin metal to tap out glass shards.
4. Clean windshield and Let it Dry
Your windshield should be completely clean and dry. You should clean the damaged area. You can take out tiny pieces of glass or dust particles by using a razor blade. You can also use glass cleaner to clean the windshield completely.
5. Repair the Cracked Windshield
- Set up applicator: You need to understand how applicator works and how to use it. You should identify the barrel or syringe to load resin and an O-ring or cap for closing it. Now you need to find out a bolt that will be used to regulate or control pressure. Bolt will be helpful while moving the applicator away on into the windshield. Now, you need to check the directions for how to use applicator.
- Create a circular or semi-circular hole: It is only essential if you are going to fix large windscreen damage such as a long crack, but you need not create any hole in case of a small
- Load resin in applicator: There are two types of resin come in repair kits including one to fill chips and another to fill cracks.
- Set the applicator: applicator should be set properly to repair a crack. Suction cup should be covered with lubricant. It helps glide it across the screen. You can use Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly if repair kit does not come with any lubricant.
- Resin Application: You can apply the resin to windshield crack. You should move applicator along 5 cm or two/three inches of crack. You should read the instructions of DIY kit and apply resin as per instructions. It uses vacuum mechanism and pushes the resin into the cracked screen. Sometimes resin does not reach to the deep into the crack, so you need to flex it gently using your thumb.
You should drip resin into cracked portion of your windshield slowly means you can drip one drop every three seconds. Now, wait and examine the crack carefully from various angles. You need to wait for five or ten minutes to find out if there any air bubble left in damaged or cracked area.
If you find any bubble, you should apply pressure inside windshield so that bubble can be removed. You press the windshield carefully and very slowly to avoid any further damage. Now you need to apply more resin and repeat it until the crack is filled completely. Make sure it contains no air bubbles.
After doing it, you need to reapply more resin into the cracked area while placing curing strip on top of the crack. Don’t apply pressure to strip and use them to cover crack completely. Razor blade can be used to remove excess resin.
- Seal the Crack: You can move the applicator over the crack. Once the resin is entered in the crack, you can seal it slowly.
- Put the Car in Sun Light: Once you are did with resin, you can remove excess resin and let the car dry in sunlight. It may take 15-20 minutes. You can remove the strips once the resin is dry. Excess resin scraping can be removed using a blade.
Now you can carefully examine the windshield. You can repeat the same process of resin application if any crack is remaining. This is the simple step guide that helps you fill small cracks in your windshield. You better read the instructions to follow the process of filling cracks.
Is the repair perfect? If you have any small cracks on your windshield, you can use this information to repair it. This is all about a perfect repair of your cracked windshield. It is very expensive to get your windshield replaced or repaired with AutoGlass Company, so you can use a repair kit to save your money and time. You can use the above-given instructions to repair the crack. Hope you find this guide useful and informative. Do comment, if you have any query.