Going on a road trip and camping in your RV is sure to be a memorable experience, especially when you do it with your family and friends. Nonetheless, at some point, this can also be frustrating, especially when you realize that you came unprepared. From a comfortable mattress for camping to a functional RV toilet, see to it that you will have the essentials.
Among others, one that should not be overlooked, although often ignored by many people, is the best RV awning. It will provide you with a shade from the heat of the sun or from the rain. If you are unsure on which one will make the best choice, keep on reading the rest of this post and we are here to help you out.
EZ Travel Collection
What Factors Should You Consider Before Selecting the Best RV Awning?
With the abundance of the choices that are available for the best RV awning, be sure to consider the factors that are mentioned below to make it easier for you to find the right product:
- Size: Consider the amount of space that you would like to be covered. Be sure to check the specifications of your RV to know the right dimensions of the awning to purchase.
- Material: Choose a material that will be indicative of durability, providing you with the assurance that it will take a long time before there is a need for the awning to be replaced.
- Ease of Use: The installation of the awning must be effortless. It should be one thing that you can easily accomplish on your own. In the case of some manufacturers, they provide online videos for a comprehensive tutorial on how to successfully set up the awning.
- Care and Maintenance: Look for an awning that does not require too much effort to keep in its tip-top condition even after a few years of use.
- Style: Take time as well to check the aesthetics of the awning. From the color to the overall look, it will be good to choose one that will never be an eyesore.
- Warranty: This is important as it will provide you with peace of mind. Longer warranty coverage is better since it will allow you to enjoy free repair from the manufacturer if the awning gets defective.
Quick Tips in Using an RV Awning
Here are some important points you must keep in mind:
- Use only an awning that matches the specifications of your RV. If it is too small, it won’t provide adequate protection that you need.
- Know the material that is used for the awning. This will make it easy for you to determine the best approach for its cleaning and maintenance. Use only cleaners that are recommended by the manufacturer. If it is made from acrylic, scrubbing should never be done.
- When you are not using the RV awning, make sure that you stow it properly. Keep it secured.
- Do not leave an RV awning unattended. When it is time to go to sleep, make sure to roll off the awning. It will not be able to withstand heavy water if it rains. The same thing is true in the case of a heavy wind.
- Keep the fabric dry, especially when it is time to keep the awning. This will prevent the presence of mold and mildew.
Top Picks for the Best RV Awning
To make things a lot easier, here are three of the products that I personally believe can provide the best bang for the buck and can outdo most of its competitors.
Different Types of RV Awning
While there are many ways to differentiate the awnings that are available in the market, one of the best would be through the materials that are used. In this case, below are two of the most common choices that you will have:
1. Acrylic Awning
- This fabric allows the circulation of air
- It is made of woven cloth that will be able to repel water on the surface
- Although they are not waterproof, they can get dry quickly
2. Vinyl Awning
- Exposure to high levels of humidity and heat can make it prone to the presence of mold and mildew
- It easily attracts dirt and dust
- It is mildew-resistant, but it is not mildew-proof
Another good way to classify RV awnings would be on the basis of the mechanism on how they work. With this, the following are the options that you will have:
1. Fixed Awnings
- As the name implies, the awning is in a permanent position.
- They are installed over the RV’s doors and windows.
- It can easily fall off when driving, and hence, not excellent if you are concerned about safety.
- This does not offer flexibility since you cannot change the position of the awning based on what is most convenient for the situation.
2. Slide Out Awnings
- This can be a perfect choice for those who are looking for a budget-friendly alternative
- When you need the awning, all that you have to do is to roll it out manually.
- Most of these awnings are made using canvas
- Some may install mechanical means to make it easier to pull out the awning when needed.
3. Automatic Awnings
- This is the most convenient and user-friendly type of awning that is available.
- With a touch of a single button, the awning will open. Touch the button again and the awning will automatically close.
- Because this is the most innovative awning that is available in the market, expect that it is going to be expensive.
- The installation can also be a bit tricky since there are electrical systems that you have to be dealing with.
4. Sheltered Awnings
- They are also often called patio awnings, which will allow you to create a room outside of your RV.
- This type of awning does not only come with a roof, but also walls on the side and even a door for entry and exit.
- You can use the additional space as a room for sleeping or for keeping your camping gears, depending on how big the space is.
- Because there are side walls, it can provide excellent protection from the splashes when it is raining outside.
- Most have windows on the walls to encourage ventilation.
The best RV awning is an essential to make sure that you will be able to maximize the use of available space in the campsite. It provides you with a covered area and even a screened room. This is a great way to make camping less frustrating, especially when it is raining. It can offer a wide array of benefits, but only if you choose the right product.
Are you looking for other products that will be useful the next time you go RV camping? Click here and we will help you narrow down the choices and end up making a decision you won’t regret.