Fire can be a hazard regardless of where you are. Even when you are in your car or RV, you are not spared from such an unfortunate event. The good thing is that there are different ways to minimize the risk and to prepare for the unexpected. Among others, one that will be a big help would be investing in the best fire extinguisher. A fire extinguisher will help you to get rid of fire before it escalates into a bigger problem. It is one of the best tools for roadside emergencies that should be present all the time in your car.
What is the best product that is available in the market? If you are wondering what to pick, keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll help you to come up with the right decision. The fire extinguishers that will be mentioned below are perfect for RVs, cars, trucks, and even home.
What is a Fire Extinguisher?
There is perhaps no better and simpler way to define a fire extinguisher than being a handy piece of equipment that will allow you to extinguish fire quickly. We commonly see them in commercial establishments and at homes. But, as it will be proven by the products that we will discuss below, they are also a great addition in automobiles, including motorhomes and trucks.
Depending on the specific type of the fire extinguisher, the cylinder is filled with a specific type of chemical. It can extinguish different types of fire depending on its classification. Some of the most common chemicals include carbon dioxide and potassium bicarbonate.
Top Picks for the Best Fire Extinguisher
If you are clueless on what product will make the best choice, pay attention to the five models that we will briefly tackle in the rest of this post.
What Are the Different Types of the Best Fire Extinguisher
Before buying a fire extinguisher, one of the first things that you should do is to decide on what specific type is best for your needs. They can be categorized based on their class. With this, the following are the options that you will have.
- Class A Fire Extinguisher: With this class, it means that the product can be used for fire that is caused by trash, wood, or paper. The main component of this fire extinguisher is mono-ammonium phosphate.
- Class B Fire Extinguisher: This type, on the other hand, can be made from mono-ammonium phosphate or sodium bicarbonate. The latter engages a chemical reaction that will be effective in extinguishing fire that is caused by flammable liquids, such as gasoline, oil, and paint.
- Class C Fire Extinguisher: Lastly, for fire that is due to live electrical equipment, this is the class that is ideal.
Aside from the class, they can also be categorized on the basis of the materials that they have and the mechanism by which they work:
- Water and Foam: As the name implies, it makes use of water and foam to take out the heat element from the source of fire. This type is ideal only for Class A fire.
- Carbon Dioxide: With this type, the oxygen and the heat will be taken away from the source of fire.
- Dry Chemical: On the other hand, this works by altering the chemical reaction in the fire element causing it to be extinguished quickly.
- Wet Chemical: The good thing about this type is that it does not only remove the heat from the source of fire, but it is also instrumental in the prevention of re-ignition.
- Dry Powder: This works in almost the same way as dry chemical fire extinguisher.
What are the Benefits of a Fire Extinguisher
If you are not convinced that a fire extinguisher can prove to be a great investment, you might have a change of mind after learning about the benefits that it can deliver, which will include the following:
- It Can Easily Eliminate Fire: This is perhaps the most significant benefit of having a fire extinguisher. When you are RV camping or when on the road, this can prove to be an easy way to extinguish fire, especially when water is not available.
- It is Easy to Use: Most of the fire extinguishers in the market have clear instructions on the body. They are also designed with pin that is easy to pull and a handle that will be comfortable to hold.
- It is Lightweight and Compact: You do not need to have a fire extinguisher that is as big as the one you have at home or those used in commercial establishments. Those that are for automobiles are sleek and lightweight, making them space-efficient.
- It Lasts Long: Depending on the product that will be chosen, there is no need to worry even if they are not used within a short time after purchase. You can keep them for an extended period while being sure that they will still deliver optimal functionality.
How to Choose the Best Fire Extinguisher
To make it easier for you to make the right choice, the following are some of the most important things that you should consider:
- Size: Remember, we are talking about fire extinguishers that are used exclusively for vehicles. With this, one of the most important is for such to be compact. With its sleek design, this means that it will be space-efficient, making it easy to keep even in a small car.
- Weight: This is important when it comes to portability and being user-friendly. If the fire extinguisher is lightweight, it will be easy for you to hold it when the time comes that you have to use the unit.
- Ease of Use: Aside from being lightweight, another thing that is important is for the manufacturer to provide comprehensive instructions on the label. Be sure that you are familiar with how to use the fire extinguisher to yield the highest level of effectiveness when it comes to putting off fire.
- Handle: The design of the handle will have an impact on ease of use. See to it that it is ergonomic and that it will be easy to have it pulled. Also, it should not be flimsy. Otherwise, it will easily break.
- Warranty: If you want the best bang for the buck and peace of mind, you have to choose a product that comes with extensive warranty coverage. The latter means that you will be able to rely on support from the manufacturer if the product proves to be defective.
- Technical Specifications: Take a look at the technical details to easily determine how one is better than the other. Some of the most important include discharge rate, discharge range, and maximum temperature resistance. Discharge rate means how long it will take before the chemicals are discharged out of the unit to fight fire. Distance range, on the other hand, refers to how long it can reach. Lastly, maximum temperature resistance refers to the level of heat that the product can withstand. Be sure not to leave it inside the car during the summer months because of the risk of explosion.
From the five products that have been discussed above, if there is only one that I can personally recommend, it is Kidde 21005779 Pro Fire Extinguisher. The latter comes with a compact size, which makes it the perfect choice for automobile applications. It also has high discharge range and incredible discharge time, making sure that it will offer reliable functionality.
Is there any product that you need for your car or RV? Click here and we’ll help you find some of the best products that are available in the market.