Are you planning for a long trip? Do you want to carry your bikes too? Purchase a bike rack that can solve your purpose. Consider which kind of vehicle you are having, types of bikes to be transported and a number of bikes.
Also, consider that how many times in a year you are using the bike rack. Which type of bike rack to buy? I know it is a big decision! I am discussing various factors to be taken into consideration while selecting the right bike rack.
Swagman Bicycle Carriers
What Factors Should You Consider before Selecting the Right Bike Rack?
Following are the factors you should consider before purchasing a perfect bike rack for yourself:
- Distance and the frequency of using bike racks.
- The kind of vehicle you have to attach the bike rack with.
- Kind of bikes that have to be accommodated on the rack.
- Way to carry bikes- The style of carrying bikes- on top of the vehicle, at the back or attached to the receiver hitch.
- Any other luggage or sporting equipment to be carried.
- Style and size of the bike also play a very important role while selecting the bike rack.
- The feature of the rack that allows easy fitting into the vehicle and load bikes.
- It must hold the bikes safely and tightly. It must have a locking system.
- Storage space- The number of bikes it can store.
Top 5 Best Bike Racks In The USA
What are the Different Types of Bike Racks available in the Market?
We are discussing the features of the various types of bike racks. Select the best bike racks according to your requirement.
1. Roof Racks
- If you own a truck, van, or SUV with a high roof, then think twice before buying a roof rack. In this kind of model, you are required to lift your bike and keep it on your vehicle.
- If you can lift bikes, you can carry only two bikes. The center of the crossbar is out of reach for storing two bikes.
- Roof models are the good options if you have vehicles that are lower to the ground.
- Crossbars can be used to carry other stuff. You can carry skis, cargo boxes, and surfboards along with the bikes.
- If you have crossbars on your vehicle, then select compatible roof types.
- Buy crossbars or horizontal rails if they are not present on your vehicle.
- Roof racks are easy to install and are not required to take off.
- Roof racks are versatile to use.
- No visual obstruction to the driver while driving.
2. Hitch Mount Racks
Hitch mount rack are a good choice. There are two types of hitch mounted racks.
- A tray-style hitch mount: These trays support the bikes in a tray. They provide security by clamping the front wheels. They are easy to load and carry any bike. It can hold heaviest to lightest bikes.
- Arm support hitch mount: This style has low loading height. The point of attachment and arm does not fit mountain or unusual frame bikes.
- Hitch mounted bike racks protect your bikes from air and bugs.
- Locks are provided with the hitch racks.
- Some of the bike racks are not accessible to the rear of the vehicle.
- Some vehicles have insufficient rear suspension and are not able to sustain extra weight.
- It increases the length of the vehicle; you can face parking issues.
3. Trunk Mount
- They require minimal effort in installation.
- It provides a quick and economical way to accommodate your bikes.
- Trunks are light in weight. It can be used in various compatible vehicles.
- Nylon straps or hooked cables are used to tie them to the vehicle.
- It is an extremely secure system that prevents your bikes from theft.
- They are easy to installed and removed.
- Bikes rest on support arms that come with cradles.
- Bikes are secured by straps that are made from neoprene rubber.
- Excellent locking mechanisms.
- They can be folded for easy storage.
- They are made from high- quality stainless- steel.
- The design limits to load heavy bikes.
4. Spare Tire Racks
- Some racks can get fit on vehicles that are equipped with rear- mounted spare tire.
- These racks are light in weight and compact.
- They can carry only two bikes, and the cover of the tire has to be removed.
- It has a simple installation
- It is difficult to lock the bikes.
- Bikes can obstruct license plate or driver’s rear view.
5. Truck Racks
These racks are specially designed that transform the bed of a truck. Temporary installation of internal rails or support bars is done.
- It can transport 2-4 bikes and cargo boxes.
- A moderate fitting is required to store the bikes.
- It is a temporary attachment to your vehicle.
Quick Tips to Organize Bikes
- Before the installation of a roof system, check the maximum weight your car roof can sustain. In the case of installing hitch mount, check your vehicle’s towing capacity.
- Know your vehicle payload limit before putting extra burden. Weight can affect tires, suspension, engine and transmission of your vehicle.
- Before deciding which bike rack to buy compares features and options. You can ask your friends and the salesman about their views and experiences.
- Frame compatibility: Every bike cannot get fit on every hitch rack or trunk rack. If you want to accommodate your best pit bike then test-fit it before going for a trip.
- Security is a very important feature that must be considered while buying a bike rack. Many racks come with locks, and some don’t. We often stop in between the trips for relaxing and snacks. In that case, the security of your bikes is a prime concern.
A rack must have required equipment to secure your bike. Many hitches- mounted racks come with locking hitch pin that secures your bikes from theft.
Check the bikes after unloading them from the bike rack. Check tires, paddles, and brakes. These are some bike maintenance tips before using your bike. I hope that these tips will be helpful to select the right bike rack. Plan a long trip while safely carrying your bikes.