The synthetic motor oil (also called engine oil or engine lubricant) was first synthesized or man-made before the Second World War (1930s).This was through the initiative of German scientists primarily for military use.
Today, one of the most popular kinds among vehicle owners, mechanics and automotive engineers is the Royal Purple API-Licensed SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil which is great for both gasoline and diesel engines.
To understand more of the “5W-30” grade, which some users do not understand clearly, the suffix W means “winter” and not “watt” or “weight” as some have perceived. The reference for winter denotes cold temperature on which the oil has certain maximum viscosity at low temperature.
The number “30” on the other hand means that the oil has to fall within certain viscosity limit at 100C. To understand clearly the salient features of this oil, we are inviting you to read more!
1. Meets ILSAC GF-5 and Dexos1 Certifications
This synthetic base oil meets the standards set by ILSAC G-5 and Dexos1. The ILSAC GF-5 is a performance upgrade specifications which improve mostly passenger car’s reliability, great performance from combustion to the tailpipe and clean engine interior surfaces.
The Dexos1 licensed oil on the other hand is the new specifications for engine lubricants for General Motors’ (GM) vehicles. This oil could be used for GM vehicles if applicable or if it calls for it, so, better check your owner’s manual for verification.
2. Made in USA
This oil is 95% made in the USA meaning the remaining 5% are raw materials not available at home. The oil is blended and formulated using advanced technology and manpower that is composed of brilliant engineers and highly skilled personnel.
3. For Diesel and Gasoline Engines
The beauty with this synthetic base oil is that it could be utilized in engines powered by either gas or diesel. The versatility gives you the edge from other oil not compatible with two different fuels. Again, as we are saying to those who are still not aware, keep reading your vehicle’s owner’s manual so that you will be knowledgeable to what oil grade to use.
4. Ranks No. 11 at Amazon.com
The Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 currently ranks No.11 at the Amazon’s online reviews given by its customers for Automotive Oils and Fluids category. Its satisfaction rating is an all-time high of 96% as of this writing. With an average score of 4.8 Stars out of 5-Star (5 being the highest), this synthetic base oil has at present 505 satisfied customers on its sleeve. This data may help you to take a second look at this product.
5. Best for Upgrades
Since Royal Purple has several viscosity grades on its arsenal, especially of API-licensed motor oils, the manufacturer recommends that it is best to wait for the first 2,000 miles of run for gasoline engine, to upgrade to this oil. For diesel engine, the company’s recommendation is to allow 8,000 to 10,000 miles of run before upgrading.
Pros & Cons
The Royal Purple API-Licensed SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is a new generation engine lubricant introduced into the market just a few years ago. Upgrading to this type of oil is so easy and quick without the hassle both for gasoline and diesel engines. Older model of vehicles, where compatible, will benefit still with an upgrade to prolong the life of the engine. Brand new ones do not pose a problem as this oil is also best for initial use.