The transmission can be a source of numerous problems for your car, which can give you a headache, aside from the fact that they can be costly to repair. The good news is that there are many ways by which you can prevent the possibility of overheating. In this case, one of the best things that you can do is to invest in the best transmission cooler. Unless you already have one, you’ll never know how it can deliver a wealth of benefits.
While there are many options in the market, this should not be an excuse for you to decide in haste. If you are clueless about which to purchase, keep on reading this guide and we’ll help you to come up with the right decision. We will have a quick look at five of the best products that you may want to consider.
What Is A Transmission Cooler
Obviously, this is an equipment that has the primary role of cooling the transmission. It is a thin and square-shaped component, which is placed near your radiator. It will be effective in cooling the transmission fluid, and in turn, will prolong the functional life of your transmission. The engine will also be cooled. Once the fluid becomes hot because of power steering or the engine, it will be directed to the cooler. After cooling the fluid, it will be re-routed to the transmission through a continuous loop.
While there are many benefits that can be yielded by the transmission cooler, proper installation should be given attention. It will effectively protect the engine as well. Also, it should be pointed out that not all transmission coolers will work for all cars. You have to research about compatibility as you decide which one should be purchased.
Types of Transmission Cooler
As you try to narrow down the possibilities and reach the right decision, one of the most important things is to decide on the specific type of the transmission cooler that you will need. While they are basically the same in terms of their functions, the difference lies in the manner by which they can cool fluid. With this, below are three of the options that you can find:
- Tube and Fin Cooler: One of the distinct characteristics of this type is the presence of a weaving tube that surrounds the transmission cooler. The main role of these tubes is to make sure that the fluid will be distributed around. It comes with a practical price and will work even for older models of cars. However, from the three types, this has a negative reputation because of its minimal efficiency.
- Plate and Fin Cooler: The mechanism is almost the same as the previously mentioned, with the only difference that the plate and fin cooler is better when it comes to efficiency. The tubes run horizontally and fluid passes through in each row. It has a compact size and can cool a generous amount in a given time.
- Stacked Plate Cooler: From the three types, this is what you should choose if you are looking for the most efficient one. There is no wonder why it is also the favorite amongst many people. In terms of appearance, they are similar with plate and fin cooler. The large size of the turbulator is one of its best features, which will help in increasing airflow. If there is one drawback, it would be the fact that it comes with an expensive price.
Top Picks for the Best Transmission Cooler
Still clueless about which transmission cooler can provide the best bang for the buck? In this section, we will have a look at five of the products that you may want to consider:
Essential Factors to Consider when Buying
Below, we will enumerate some of the most important things that you should take into account to increase the likelihood of making the right choice.
- Ease of Installation: With little knowledge and effort to spare, you can install the transmission cooler on your own. But, this is not always the case. With this, pick one that is user-friendly, which will allow you to complete the installation without asking for professional help. It should have a simple design and the manufacturer must also provide comprehensive instructions.
- Compatibility: As it has been earlier mentioned, there are different types of transmission coolers. You need to find one that is tailor-fitted for the specifications of your vehicle. You need to look at gross vehicle weight rating. The latter will be a measurement of payload capacity. Pick the right one to be assured that it will perform efficiently. Otherwise, it will only be a waste of money.
- Efficiency: You need to make sure that the transmission cooler is efficient to make it deliver optimal functionality, especially in terms of dealing with overheating. From the earlier discussion, we have noted that stacked plate cooler is perhaps the best choice when it comes to efficiency.
- Reviews: At the end of the day, if you find it hard to decide, the best thing to do is consult with what other people have to say. You can ask around from other people who bought a transmission cooler before. Also, you can go online and learn from the reviews of other people. Through their experiences, it will be easier for you to narrow down the choices and make the right decision.
- Warranty: This is one thing that can eliminate the doubts that you might have about a specific product. It will be good if there is a lifetime warranty. This means that the manufacturer will repair, exchange, or replace the product if it turns out to be defective, provided that you abide by their terms and conditions.
The best transmission cooler, indeed, is a necessary investment. It can effectively cool your transmission, and hence, prevent the possibility of overheating. This is a good way to prolong the lifespan of the engine and to get rid of costly repairs. Its benefits, meanwhile, can only be apparent if you choose the right product. With this, I hope that the discussion above has been helpful. Narrow down your options to the five models we have earlier mentioned.
Is there anything else that you need for your engine or your car? Click here and learn more about other products that you might find to be useful as well.