There are many tools that can prove to be essential in promoting safety and a traffic cone is one of them. They will be helpful in redirecting the flow of traffic in public roads. The best traffic cones are made from materials that will stand still on the road, but still, they need to be safe and must not cause damages on cars.
Traffic cones, however, can be used in more ways than one. Even as a private citizen, you can invest in one, but make sure that you do not use it on public roads. Doing the latter can lead to a hefty fine, depending on where you live. For private use, a traffic cone can function as a marker to determine hazardous sites and to reserve parking spaces, among other things.
Essential Factors to Consider
In your search for the best traffic cones, be sure to keep in mind the factors that we will briefly mention below. These considerations will make it easier for you to narrow down the options and decide which can provide good value for money and optimal functionality:
- Reviews: Similar to buying car accessories and other products to ensure road safety, it will be best to start your search by reading the feedbacks of other people. All that you have to do is go online and look for reviews from real users. This is a good way to evaluate the good and the bad amongst the options that you will be confronted with.
- Materials: This is important as it will be indicative of the overall quality of the traffic cone that you will purchase. Vinyl, thermoplastic, and rubber are some of the most common. See to it that the material is strong enough so that it can last long. Otherwise, you will only end up wasting your money. It is also important that the material will not cause any significant damage to a car if it has been accidentally hit.
- Visibility: Traffic cones are meant to be used not only in broad daylight, but even in the dark. With this, consider how visible is the cone before purchasing. Most of them have reflective stickers so that they can be easily seen. A better option is one that comes with a built-in light, which is battery-operated.
- Customization: Depending on the product that you will choose, there is also an option to customize the cone depending on the intended use. For instance, there could be stencils on the surface that says No Parking or Reserved. Alternatively, you can buy traffic cones and put stickers that will mark the specific use of the cone.
- Stability: The traffic cone must be able to hold up even if it is windy or when it is raining. One of the most important is to have a stable base, which will prevent the cone from tipping. It will also help if the cone is heavy, making it hard to be taken away by the wind.
- Portability: Ideally, a traffic cone should be a tool that you can easily place in the trunk. With this, a portable option is one that comes with a collapsible design. Its height will be significantly minimized when not in use, which will make it space-efficient.
Top Picks for the Best Traffic Cones
Speed Ramps UK
Work Area Protection
UK HOME & GARDEN STORE
Here are five of the products that you might want to consider, as well as the features that you can expect in each of them. We will also have a quick discussion of their pros and cons to help you narrow down the possibilities.
What are the Different Types of Traffic Cones?
There are many ways to differentiate the traffic cones that are available in the market, but one of the most logical is through their design. In this case, the following are the choices that you will have:
1. Flow Molded Traffic Cone
- Solid, one-piece construction without seams
- Typically a cheaper option because of its simple design
- May not be as long-lasting
- It has a single color from the base to the top, making it highly visible
2. Injection Molded Traffic Cone
- Comes with a two-piece design and interlocking base
- Better capability to hold up against wind
- Has a firm and more durable body
- The PVC base makes the cone skid-resistant
3. Collapsible Traffic Cone
- The best option in terms of portability
- Made from materials that can easily fold
Meanwhile, the traffic cone can also be categorized on the basis of color. Each color is linked to a specific use of the traffic cone:
- Orange: Marking temporary traffic zones and directing vehicle flow
- Lime: Heavy flow of pedestrians
- Yellow: Indicates wet areas indoors
- White: Marks valet parking or sponsor display
- Red: Indoor machine traffic and workplace risks
- Black: Traffic for funerals
- Green: Markers for courses and tracks
Traffic cones are also available in different sizes, each with their respective meanings and uses
- 6 Inches: Used only for indoor applications, such as for indicating a potential hazard
- 12 Inches: Used for pet training and in athletic courses, such as a football field
- 18 Inches: Normally used when painting roads
- 28 Inches: Marking hazards for local streets
- 36 Inches: For roadways with maximum speed limit of 45 MPH, as well as for industrial facilities
Quick Tips in Using Traffic Cones
To make the most out of the traffic cones that you will purchase, below are some of the most important tips that you have to keep in mind:
- Be familiar with local rules and regulations. In most places, the use of traffic cones in a public road by a private individual is not allowed. You will use it mostly for parking spaces and marking hazards within private property, but not to direct traffic without permission from the concerned authorities.
- If the traffic cone is old but still sturdy, you do not have to replace it immediately. In some cases, the only problem is the minimal visibility. In this case, you can wrap a reflective tape so that the cone can be easily seen.
- Store the traffic cones properly when not being used. You can wrap it in a plastic bag so that external elements like dust and heat will not contribute to speed up its wear and tear.
- Use more than one traffic cone if necessary. This is especially important if you are marking a large potential hazard.
From the best traffic cones that we have mentioned in this post, which one should you purchase? Personally, I can say that Eurow Safety Lighted Collapsible Traffic Safety Cone is the clear winner. I love how it has a collapsible design for maximum portability. The internal light is also a huge plus, making sure that it will be easily seen from afar.
Are you looking for more products other than a traffic cone? Click here and you will be directed to our buying guides to be provided with insights that will be instrumental in making a decision you will never regret.