It is an inconvenience if our favorite gadgets run out of batteries in the middle of a long distance driving. This is the reason why you need power inverters equipped in your vehicle, as it may come in handy. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to learn about power inverters before you make a purchase. We will also provide you a rundown of the top five picks for the best power inverter for car.
What is a Power Inverter for Car?
A power inverter for car is an electronic device that converts direct current input into an alternating current output. Using a power inverter for car will enable you to charge your laptops and other devices while on the road. Car batteries work on direct current and most gadgets and electronics run on alternating current. It is a very useful device that you equip on your car battery for emergencies, simple convenience, and mobile devices.
The power inverter for car boosts the amount of current provided by the cigarette lighter into more substantial levels. Direct current, which is measured in volts, is converted into alternating current, which is measured in watts. This will allow its users to add power to their electronic devices such as cellphones, laptops, and game consoles. However, factors including car battery capacity and output wattage must be taken into consideration.
Using a power inverter for car may drain the battery if you use it while the engine is off. Many of these devices are equipped with a safety feature that shuts down automatically before the battery is completely drained. It is vital for people who need to work on laptops and people who love going on road trips. It is also useful for those who travel and parents who wish to keep their children entertained.
Top Five Picks for the Best Power Inverter for Car
1000W Power Inverter
500W Power Inverter
1100W Power Inverter
300W Power Inverter
2300W Power Inverter
In this section, we are going to discuss the top five recommendations for the best power inverter for car. We’ll talk about some of its best features, pros, and cons so you can come up with an informed decision.
Types of Power Inverters for Car
There are several types of power inverters that you should know and we are going to discuss three of them. This section is also important as it can help you narrow down your choices towards choosing the best power inverter for car.
- Single Outlet Inverters – These are simple and cheap devices that provide a continuous current capacity of 150W to 200W. These are smaller and are more compact that allows easy storage and transport. To add, only one device can be charged at one time so you won’t have to worry about overloading.
- Multiple Outlet Inverters – These are more expensive and larger than single outlet inverters. With this, they have higher continuous current capacity compared to the single outlet. They feature multiple outlets that enable you to power up multiple gadgets at the same time.
- USB Outlets – USB ports allow its users to power up gadgets such as smartphones, tablets, and other USB capable devices. The same amount of power is consumed if you plug a device into the USB port and a standard outlet. One downside is that it cannot power up most household appliances without a standard outlet.
Essential Factors to Consider when Choosing the Best Power Inverter for Car
Before we finish this discussion, let’s talk about what makes a good power inverter first. This is essential especially if you are having a difficult time choosing among the five presented above.
- Features – Factors such as the amount of continuous power the inverter can provide is an important feature to consider. Most inverters run on 150W-200W so you have to evaluate based on the top five picks in the previous sections.
- Safety – Some inverters have the capability of shutting down automatically before it reaches the overloading point. You have to choose one that can offer you protection from overheating, overloading and short-circuiting. Some models have displays that indicate input and output voltages and they can be very useful. To add, built-in fans are also essential to avoid overheating.
- Design – Many of the recommendations above feature a compact design that makes it very easy to transport and store. It is recommended that you pick the one that which will be very convenient to use. Take note of the material the product is made, as an indication of the quality of the power inverter.
- Number of Outlets – This should also be considered before making a purchase. It is important to check first if how many outlets are required for the power inverter to work.
- Peak Capacity – Some power inverters feature 2000W average continuous power inversion. Choose one that can power up bigger appliances if you need to make use of its convenience while traveling.
- Price – How much a power inverter costs is a factor to consider before making the actual purchase. In order to effectively evaluate, weigh each product’s pros and cons and pick the one that benefits you the most. After that, you may relate their features to the price indicated in the tag.
- Warranty – If the product is of high quality, the brand will be most likely to offer longer periods of warranty on parts. Some brands presented above offer up to a three-year warranty, which is an assurance that you’re buying the best. You have to choose the product that you can avail of the warranty for a longer period of time.
- Durability – The power inverter that you choose must be able to endure harsh environments. It should not break if exposed to extreme heat and this may come in handy especially on a road trip.
We have discussed everything you have to know about power inverter for car. Now it’s up to you to decide which makes great value for the price you pay. Choosing the best power inverter for car may be tricky, but with this guide, it should be very easy. You just have to weigh each product’s pros and cons to come up with a more informed decision. We hope we gave you some enlightenment regarding power inverter for car.
Are you also looking for products you can hook up with your vehicle? Click here to find out more products that are available in the market right now.