In recent years, it is undeniable that off-road lighting has enjoyed a soar in popularity. It is used in many trucks not only for aesthetic purposes, but also for a safe driving experience. When you are in dark environments, it provides auxiliary lighting to illuminate the way, making sure that you will have a clear vision of what is ahead of you.
It is pretty much obvious that the market is saturated with options for the best off-road lights. Making an intelligent decision will never be an easy feat, especially if you are buying one for the first time. To help you out, I have written this guide that aims to provide insights on how to choose and what to pick.
Best Off-Road Lights: A Quick Guide in Choosing the Best
Why Do You Need Off-Road Lights?
For a lot of people, buying an off-road light is not a priority, given the fact that it can be costly. Nonetheless, given its many benefits, you will easily realize that the cost will be worth it. With this, below are some of the things that can convince you to purchase one:
- Improved Safety: Especially when driving at night, using an off-road light can result to dramatic difference. It will provide illumination in dark places, making sure that your vision will be clear.
- Provides Emergency Lighting: When the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and you have to perform basic repair, off-road lights will be to the rescue. This means that you can easily work on the problem.
- Improved Aesthetic Appeal: Off-road lights are available in a variety of sizes, designs, and shapes. They can be installed in different parts of the car. With this, it can also do a lot to improve the physical appearance of your vehicle.
Where Should You Place your Off-Road Lights?
It is also important to decide on where you will have to position the lights, which is essential in deciding which one is the best choice. In this case, the following are your choices:
- Above the Windshield: This is perhaps the most popular because it does not only look good, but it also produces optimal light output. It creates a bad-ass look, but its installation tends to be a bit difficult.
- Lower Windshield: For smaller light bars and pods, this can prove to be an excellent position. For bigger lights, this position won’t work well. In most cases, installing in this location will not require the use of additional mounts.
- Front Bumper: This off-road light will complement the function of your car’s headlights. Wiring at this location is easy, making it the best for beginners. Nonetheless, because it is in the same level as your headlight, the output may not be that evident.
How to Choose the Best Off-Road Headlights
To make it easier for you to decide which one is the best from the available options, you have to consider the following factors:
- Type of Light: Not all off-road lights are the same. Different types have different sets of pros and cons. With this, the following are some of the options that you will have:
- LED: This is the most popular, which is known for its long life and energy efficiency. Most of the LED lights can last for more than 50,000 hours and they won’t consume too much of your car’s battery. Nonetheless, it can be quite expensive compared to its counterparts.
- High-Intensity Discharge: Also known as HID, its lifespan is more than 2,000 hours. One problem, however, is that it can have dirty lenses, which can produce glare and affect clarity of vision.
- Halogen: In most headlights, this is the type of bulb that is used. It is known for its low cost, but the downside is that the lifespan is only about 1,000 hours on average.
- Light Pattern: Especially for LED off-road lights, the pattern of the light is also important. You can choose from:
- Floodlight: The beam width can be anywhere from 40 to 120 degrees. Its reach is not that far when compared to a spotlight.
- Spotlight: This kind of light comes with a narrow beam that can reach a longer distance, making it create a more powerful light output.
- Combo: This will allow you to take advantage of the two types of beam patterns, allowing you to take advantage of their benefits.
- Installation: When choosing the best off-road lights, you need to consider how easy it is to install. You won’t need the help of a mechanic to accomplish the task. See to it that the manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions.
- Durability: You have to choose off-road lights with excellent waterproof rating. It must also be dust-proof. The mounting brackets, on the other hand, must be able to resist corrosion and rust, among other external factors that can affect it overall quality.
Top Picks for the Best Off-Road Lights
In this section. I will identify five of the products that you might want to look at, as well as their top features. I will also list down a few of their pros and cons, which will help you to narrow down the possibilities.
1. Nilight LED Light Bar
This 20-inch off-road light is perhaps one of the best that you can find in the market today. It can provide clear visibility even in extreme conditions, providing you with the guarantee of having a clear sight of the road.
When it comes to heat dissipation, this can also prove to be an excellent product. There is a silicone gel and an aluminum housing, which improves the ability to manage heat. However, there are still some reports on how the lights can easily get hot.
For versatility, it is also commendable that it comes with an adjustable mounting bracket, allowing you to customize its position based on your personal preferences. You can adjust it to up to 45 degrees to position the light where it is needed the most.
Concerned about durability? There is no need for you to be worried. It offers optimal protection to make sure that it will last long. Aside from the IP67 rating, it is also dustproof. The mounts are made from stainless steel brackets, which can resist corrosion and rust.
- Fantastic light output for optimal illumination
- Easy to install
- Comes with a reasonable price
- Excellent build quality for long-term functionality
- Has an adjustable mount bar
- Has the potential to easily get hot
- Can be prone to condensation
This budget-friendly light offers bright illumination and optimal protection since it is waterproof and dust-proof. The mounts can resist corrosion and rust. It also has adjustable mounts and can be installed in a snap.
2. Auxbeam 1800LM LED Light Bar
Equipped with CREE LEDs, this 18W off-road light will provide optimal illumination in poorly-lit environments. The quality is second to none, making this my personal top choice within the product category. The LEDs have a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours, which is pretty much impressive, especially considering the fact that it is an economical option.
Based on technical specifications, it has 1,800 lumens and 60-degree flood beam. This provides optimal lighting in the forward area for improved visibility without causing eye fatigue.
The low current draw of the light is one more thing that is worth giving emphasis. This means that it will not harm the battery and will allow you to save gas.
For long-lasting functionality, the light is constructed to be waterproof, dust-proof, and shockproof. Its stainless mounting brackets can also resist corrosion and rust.
The light comes with full-aluminum housing and a vertical cooling fin. These are intelligent design features that will improve heat dispersion and energy efficiency.
It is also excellent choice as it is versatile. It has numerous applications beyond being off-road light. It can also be used at home, both indoors and outdoors.
- Perfect choice for budget-conscious buyers
- Comes with a well-designed and durable housing
- Excellent waterproofing
- Offers long-lasting brightness
- Solid solder points for maximum durability
- Does not include wiring harness
- Bolts provided may not be enough
Given its economical price and top-notch functionality, without a doubt, this is a clear top pick. It offers durable construction and optimal brightness. It has high-quality LEDs with a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours.
3. Cutequeen 1800 Lumens Off-Road Light
This off-road light comes with stainless steel bracket, which you will use to have it mounted in its desired position. The brackets are honestly not the best in terms of quality, but given the fact that they are affordable, it will be worth a shot.
Given its price, it is incredible that the LEDs have a lifespan of 50,000 hours, which means that it will take a long time before they need to be replaced.
Looking for peace of mind? Buying this product will eliminate any worry that you might have. The manufacturer is offering an unconditional return for 30 days wherein you can get a refund. To add, you can also enjoy comprehensive warranty for one year.
- Excellent build quality
- Bright light output relative to its price point
- Installation can be accomplished in a snap
- Does not last long
- Light output is lower than what is advertised
This may not be the best option in the market, but given its affordable price and the long lifespan of the LEDs, this can be a great alternative to the more expensive products.
4. Autosaver88 Off-road Mounting Headlight
With the use of this off-road light, you will not only be able to drive safely at night, but it can also add character to your vehicle, making it look like a beast.
A lot of you might instantly ditch this product because of the seemingly high price. Yes, it might cost more than most of its competitors, but you have to keep in mind that it contains two lights in one pack. A mounting bracket is also included.
With a full aluminum housing, you can also expect faster cooling. This is unlike many others that can be easily prone to overheating.
It has IP68 rating, which allows it to withstand harsh environments. Nonetheless, there are some reports on how its waterproofing could have been better.
- Installation is easy to accomplish
- Solid construction
- Good-looking off-road lights
- A bit expensive compared to its counterparts
- Water can easily get in
It might be expensive, but it is important to note that it is inclusive of two lights and a mounting bracket. It has IP68 rating for protection from water and dust.
5. Lightfox 2-piece Off-road Lights
The low price of this off-road light is one of its best assets. It is the perfect choice for those who do not want to punch holes in their wallets while enjoying a product with decent quality.
The powerful cooling performance is also impressive. The aluminum heat skin makes it able to resist high temperatures, even when left open for an extended period. It has high thermal conductivity
Another thing that I personally loved about this product is how it comes with a 2-year warranty, whereas most of its competitors’ warranty only have a warranty for one year.
- Comes with an affordable price
- Light output is very solid
- Can make your truck better looking
- Waterproofing could have been better
- No installation instructions
For a budget-friendly off-road light, this is an option you might want to consider. It has high thermal conductivity and the manufacturer offers warranty that lasts for two years.
From the best-off road lights that have been briefly reviewed above, which one is the best? If you ask for my personal opinion, I would say Auxbeam 1800LM LED Light Bar is the best. It has long-lasting and bright LEDs that can provide optimal illumination in the absence of causing eye strain, resulting in a safer driving experience.
Are there other products that you want to buy for your car or truck? Click here and our buying guides will provide you with valuable insights on which one to choose.