When we need to work on our vehicles, it is necessary to make sure that it is safely jacked up. This is the reason why jack stands are very important. They ensure that the vehicle is elevated properly so that you can get your work done, and avoid injuries. You need a specific jack stand if you need to check your car’s undercarriage, or to see if there’s any rust. You can also use jack stands if you wish to change a tire.
In this article, we will discuss what a jack stand is and its benefits. We will also talk about some of its types and the essential factors to consider. On top of that, we will give you the top five choices of best jack stands you can purchase today. We hope you can evaluate your options better after reading this article.
What is a Jack Stand?
Before we proceed with the discussions, let us first define what a jack stand is. We will also talk about some of its benefits and when you should use a jack stand.
A jack stand is a tripod-shaped device designed to give support to an elevated vehicle’s weight. It is usually placed under the axle or the frame to provide support to a raised vehicle. When your car is jacked up, stands are placed under it and the car is then lowered onto the jack stands. This type of device should only be used on the level and hard surfaces. Also, for safety reasons, it should only be used within the stands’ weight capacity.
There are varied types of jack stands, and they are categorized by their weight capacity and maximum height. The jack stand’s height is often measured in inch and the weight capacity is in ton. They are most likely sold in pairs, as each jack can only lift one corner of a vehicle at a time. They usually come in 13 to 25 inches tall and 2 to 25 tons of weight capacity.
A jack stand is an important safety equipment you use especially when you are required to work under your vehicle. It is a mechanical structure that you use in supporting a vehicle after it has been lifted. It provides a strong stop that makes sure your vehicle will not fall after being lifted off the ground. It is mandatory that you use this so you can get your job done.
Injuries can happen especially while you are working under your vehicle. It can range from minor ones such as pinched fingers, busted knuckles to burns from the motor. Serious injuries also happen when a car falls on top of a user, which is considered fatal. This is the reason why using jacks alone is not safe. Everyone needs jack stands as well.
Types of Jack Stands
In this section, we will discuss some of the popular kinds of jack stands. This is essential because you need to know which one you need before you purchase one. It should be according to your preference and what type of vehicle you are using.
- Stand Material: Based on the stand material, it can either be made out of aluminum or light steel. For heavier use, it should be made out of cast iron or steel.
- Fixed Height: This type of jack stand has a fixed height, which can be considered an advantage. You won’t have to worry about moving parts to fail if you have this jack stand. In addition, they are very reliable and durable. A downside would be versatility.
- Adjustable Height: This is the most common type of jack stand as it allows height to be adjusted to the user’s preferences. It uses a tripod stand with a notched column at the center where you adjust its height. Keep in mind that higher quality jack stands feature a second safety pin.
Essential Factors to Consider in Choosing the Best Jack Stand
Before we conclude, you need to know what factors make a good jack stand. We are sure all of them are good, but you need to pick the best one out there. It is vital that you evaluate your choices using the following factors.
- Lift Height: Some stands are designed with high life heights. A common adjustable height is from a few inches above the ground to over 6 feet. It is important to take into consideration your body built to measure which jack stand is appropriate.
- Weight Capacity: Jack stands are measured by the weight they can accommodate. They can range from half a ton to over 25 tons. Make sure you pick one that is within your needs.
- Adjustability: The most typical jack stand features a tripod with a notched center column that allows users to adjust its height. The user then releases a lever to select the appropriate height. If you have a heavier vehicle, invest in jack stand that features a second safety pin. This will ensure that your vehicle is stable and will not slip out.
- Material: Smaller and light-duty jack stands are usually made of aluminum or light steel, while heavier jack stands are made from cast iron or heavy steel. Choose one that will be convenient to carry along especially if you move a lot.
- Base: A wide base makes it stable and ensures that it will not sink into a soft surface during use. Read up on reviews of jack stands that feature a solid base if you want more security.
Top 5 Picks for the Best Jack Stands
In this section, we will discuss the top 5 choices for the best jack stands available in the market. We will provide you some of their features, as well as a rundown of their pros and cons. Choosing the best jack stands may seem tricky at first, but we are here to help you. Just make sure to weigh their specific characteristics so you can choose the one that will be your money’s worth.
Now that we are almost done with the article, we hope we gave you some valuable information. If you were having a hard time of picking, considering the above reviews will surely be of great help to you. The choosing process is, we admit, a difficult task but utilizing this guide can make your decision making easier. This is vital especially because jack stands are expensive and that’s something you think about before buying.
When you review the factors mentioned above, it will give you enlightenment about what and what not to purchase. Along with the product reviews, features, pros and cons, we hope we helped you decide on the best jack stands.
Is jack stand not exactly what you are looking for? Click here and know more about other products that you can consider buying.