Through the years, your headlights can look hazy, cloudy, and dirty. This will make the light less visible. This will affect not only the aesthetics of your car, but can also have a negative impact on your safety. This will affect night vision and can lessen the light output by as much as 80%, which makes it a serious issue.
If you are on the lookout for the best headlight restoration kit, we got you covered in the rest of this guide. We’ll let you know how to find the best in the market, and more importantly, we’ll briefly tackle the top options that you might want to consider, as well as some of the reasons why they are great picks.
Best Headlight Restoration Kit: Bring Back the Life of your Lights
The Problem with Headlights
It may not be the easiest to notice, but headlights can be suffering from significant problems that will require your attention. Some may be due to wiring, but in most cases, the issue can be with the exterior.
Most of the headlights that you can find in today’s cars are made from polycarbonate. Compared to glass, it is more prone to damages that can be caused by the external environment, such as sunlight, acid, humidity, and rain. To add, there are also some cleaning products with harsh chemicals that can make the headlight hazy or dirty.
If your headlights are suffering from discoloration and oxidation, among other problems, the immediate effect is that the light output will be significantly lesser. Its effectiveness at night will be reduced, making you at risk of suffering from accidents.
Benefits of Headlight Restoration Kits
Among other things, using headlight restoration kit is advisable because it will help you to save a lot of money. Some people might instantly opt to go to a professional and pay a hefty fee to do the job. The good news is that you can do things on your own with a basic kit. These kits are affordable, and best of all, they can promise long-term solutions.
Another good thing about using headlight restoration kits is that they are easy to use, although this will depend on the specific product that you will choose. Most of them can be applied in three easy steps. Some products will require the use of a drill or power tool while others can be completed easily by hand.
Safety is another good reason why you have to use headlight restoration kits. They will make the light brighter, which means that you can have a clear sight of what is on the road. This lessens the possibility of suffering from roadside accidents. In some cases, however, you need to replace the actual lights if they are already not functioning properly.
Lastly, headlight restoration kits are also beneficial in terms of improving the cosmetics of your vehicle. It will be effective in the removal of stain and haziness in the headlights. It will help to remove scratches and other cosmetic problems that are possibly present. Take note, however, that the effects will vary depending on the material where the product is applied.
Choosing the Best Headlight Restoration Kit
To make it easier to decide which kit is best for you, here are some of the most important factors that you have to consider:
- Feedbacks: To begin with, you have to consider what other people are saying. Go online and take time to go through their reviews about specific products. Their insights and experiences can be a good starting point to evaluate the possibilities.
- Cost: Price is also an important factor that will help you to weigh your choices. Nonetheless, this does not mean that you have to pick one product only because it is cheap. Value for money is what you should be looking for.
- Warranty: What if the product does not work? Ideally, you must be able to return it to the manufacturer. In exchange, they should provide you with an unconditional refund. This is a good way to be guaranteed of your highest level of satisfaction.
- Material: Not all headlights are created the same. They may be different on the basis of their material. Some are made from glass while others are from plastic. Pay attention to the warning from the manufacturer and use the product only based on the material that is specified.
- Ease of Use: Not everyone will have the time and patience for the restoration of their headlights. With this, you need to find a kit that does not require too much on your end. Most manufacturers guarantee effective results within three easy steps. It is also important that the manufacturer provides comprehensive instructions.
- Inclusions: You also need to check what the items that are included in the kit are. It should have everything that you will need to get the job done, such as the materials that are needed for sanding and buffing.
- Protection: An excellent choice for a headlight restoration kit is one that does not only clean, but also protects. Choose a product that comes with a protective coating that will prevent UV damage in the long run.
Top Picks for the Best Headlight Restoration Kit
Below are some of the options that should be included in your list. To help you evaluate these products, we will also tackle their pros and cons.
1. Sylvania HRK.BX Headlight Restoration Kit
One of the things that we loved about this kit is how you can accomplish its application in three easy steps. You start with the application of the surface activator. After this, follow it up with sanding and polishing. Lastly, apply the UVB clear coat.
This kit is inclusive of sandpaper available in three options – 400, 1,000, and 2,000-grit. It would have been better, however, if there are sandpapers with higher grit, which will be useful in more demanding sanding applications.
Lastly, you will also be impressed with how the results are long-lasting. You do not have to re-polish every now and then. This means that maintaining the headlights will require lesser effort on your end and will be less costly as well.
- Can be used without the need for complicated tools
- Application is quick and easy
- Manufacturer offers limited lifetime warranty
- Protects plastic from degradation
- Comes with a reasonable price
- Clear coating can be easily prone to chipping
- No higher grit sandpaper
This affordable headlight restoration kit can be applied in three easy steps and users can expect premium UV protection. Best of all, you can have peace of mind knowing that the manufacturer is offering limited lifetime warranty.
2. 3M 39008 Headlight Restoration System
Made by one of the most trusted brands in the market, this is another option that should be part of your list. It has the 3M abrasive technology, which is highly-effective in the removal of build-up of stain and grime that can cause yellowing on plastic headlights. This restores life of the headlights without causing scratches.
The kit also offers value for money as it has everything that you will need. It has sanding discs, wax protectant, and masking tape. The sanding discs and polishing pads are also great because they already have a compound to help in the restoration work.
Lastly, you do not have to sand by hand. Rather, you will need a household drill for this procedure. This will make the restoration easier and quicker to accomplish.
- Has a revolutionary abrasive technology that produces great results
- Sanding does not require too much effort on your end
- Removes dirt and restores shine effectively
- Complete with everything that you will need to complete the job
- Can help you save a lot in the long run
- Requires four steps as against most with only three
- Cloudy stains can come back after cleaning
This restoration system can produce impressive results quicker and without too much effort on your end. It is a complete package with all the things that you will need to get the work done.
3. Mothers 07251 NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit
Among others, one of the commendable about this product is the PowerPlastic 4Lights Polish. The latter has an innovative mechanism for the restoration of the crystal clarity of the headlights, making them look like brand new. It also leaves a tough coating on the surface for the prevention of future problems.
The product comes with a polishing ball that is drill-mounted, which is basically the one that is responsible for doing most of the job. It is affordable and safe. It works on all kinds of plastic headlights and deliver the same astounding results.
The restoration of your headlights with this kit can be easily accomplished in three steps. You start with its preparation, follow it up with polishing, and finish by shining.
- Can do an effective job even in windshields and helmet covers
- Restoration process can be completed in three easy steps
- Can easily remove even tough stains
- Has an effective polish for restoration of clarity
- Can scratch some models of headlights
- The quality of the sanding paper could have been better
Prep, polish, and shine – these are the three easy steps in using this headlight restoration kit, which is not only affordable, but also safe in all kinds of plastic.
4. Meguiar’s G2960 Basic Headlight Restoration Kit
This basic kit from Meguiar’s has an affordable price, making it perfect for budget-conscious buyers. Among others, the simplicity of its application is one of its best assets. Unlike others, you do not need a power tool like a drill. Sanding and polishing can be accomplished entirely by hand.
It is important to take note, however, that the fine finishing pads that are included in this kit will work best only for light oxidation. If you have to deal with a more serious problem, you have to pick a better solution.
The kit is also inclusive of a microfiber towel for some finishing touches for the restoration. This will effectively restore the shine of the headlights in no time.
- No need to use special tools like a drill
- Does not leave a stain on the headlights
- Comes with well-written instructions
- May not be enough for both of your headlights
- Does not provide a long-term solution
As a basic kit, take note that this product will work best only if there is light oxidation. It is easy to use as there is no need to use a drill to complete the process.
5. Fast Bright Auto Headlight Restoration Kit
The simplicity of this restoration kit is one of the reasons why you might want to consider it as an alternative. Even for beginners, the application will be almost effortless, especially considering the fact that it restores clarity without the need to sand and buff.
Fast Bright works in the same way as it is named – fast. In fact, as the manufacturer claims, it only takes 30 seconds for the results to be apparent. Best of all, it will make your headlights brighter by up to five times. This will significantly improve night driving.
- Ideal choice for budget-conscious buyers
- Application is quick and simple
- Works without need for sanding and buffing
- Minimal reviews are available online
- May not work as advertised
An option that is easy on the wallet, many may have doubts about this product, given the fact that it is not as popular and some people complain that the results are not as stellar as expected.
The products mentioned above are some of the top picks for the best headlight restoration kit. If there is one that stands out from the rest, I would say that it is Sylvania HRK.BX Headlight Restoration Kit. More than just being an affordable alternative, it is also quick and easy to use, making it perfect even for those who are not DIY enthusiasts.
Are there other products that you need for the restoration of your car? Click here and read our buying guides as we share more valuable insights.