If you begin hearing loud noises coming from your engine, something might be wrong with your header gaskets. The best way to get rid of the annoying noise is to replace the gasket with a new one. Having a high-quality replacement can also significantly increase your vehicle’s performance, as well as its lifespan. If you are in search of the best header gaskets, then consider yourself lucky.
In this article, we will provide you with an informative guide about header gaskets. We will be discussing what it is and its uses, and we will also talk about some of its types. We also have here a run down of the top four choices for the best header gaskets available right now. To add, we will provide each product’s pros and cons, and their features. We hope this guide will help you if you were having a difficult time deciding.
What is a Header Gasket?
Before we proceed with the discussions, let’s first talk about what a header gasket is. Basically, it is a gasket that you place between the cylinder head and the engine block. You normally find this device in internal combustion engines. It also aids in keeping the oil and coolant from mixing together. It should be noted that the header gaskets generally do not cost as much as the repair of your engine.
One of its benefits is that the header gasket ensures there is maximum compression in the engine. It is considered a part of the combustion chamber, thus, sharing similar strength requirements as the others combustion chamber properties. Having this device installed will ensure a better performance of your vehicle’s engine. To add, header gaskets will get rid of loud noises coming from your engine.
There can be a lot of causes for header gasket failure, which is bad news for your engine. The first and the most common cause of gasket failure is engine overheating. Overheating is caused by the engine getting too hot, resulting in thermal expansion. Some other causes include loss of power, oil contamination, burning which results from oil leaking, and external leaks.
Types of Header Gaskets
After discussing the top four picks for the best header gaskets, we shall move on to some of its types. This section is also very important because you will learn which type it is you need. This can also help you make a better decision as you can eliminate those you don’t need.
- MLS/Multiple Layers Steel: This type of header gasket normally consists of three layers of steel, hence the name. Almost all of the modern engines are made with MLS gaskets.
- Solid Copper: Solid copper gaskets are very durable as the manufacturers started producing these with sealing wires that permit retrofits into the engines.
- Composite: The composite header gasket is considered an old technology, as they are made of graphite or asbestos. Ironically, they are more prone to burning up than the newer types. To add, asbestos gaskets are now hard to find because of possible health concerns.
- Elastomeric: Also called an elastomer gasket, this type of gasket is made of silicone elastomer-based material. It can be in the form of silicone foam, silicone rubber, or silicone sponge. The silicone elastomeric gaskets are synthetic rubber materials that offer the base for a number of gaskets.
Essential Factors to Consider in Choosing the Best Header Gaskets
Before we conclude, we should also discuss the factors that make a good header gasket. In order to make the right choice, you should also review the below list. It can help you narrow down your choices and prevent you from making an expensive mistake.
- Material: What the gasket is made of is important when you choose one you will use for longer periods of time. Most of the products presented above are made of aluminum and that is considered as high quality.
- Weight: It is ideal that the one you choose is lightweight, which aids for easier installation. It should be noted that most of the products presented above require a professional to install the header gaskets.
- Tolerance to High Temperature: It is common knowledge that the earlier models of header gaskets tend to blow up in high temperatures. You have to purchase the one that can withstand the heat produced by your vehicle’s engine.
- Price: Needless to say, price is also a determining factor. If you want to invest on something sturdy, you would not buy a cheap one. Inexpensive header gaskets are most likely made of low quality materials and would not be as effective.
- Performance: This may be the most important factor among those mentioned above. You should purchase a header gasket that will deliver to your needs, as well as expectations about the product.
Top Four Choices for the Best Header Gaskets
Percy's High Performance
In this section, we will be discussing the top four recommendations for the best header gaskets. Each product’s best features, advantages and disadvantages will also be discussed. If you were having a hard time choosing, you should take advantage of this section. We will not only help you narrow down your choices but we will also help you make a better decision.
Now that you learned all you have to know about header gaskets, you can now make a more informed decision. Choosing the best header gaskets is not an easy task. All you need is this in-depth guide to show you what and what not to buy. We have helped you narrow down your choice by providing you the types and the factors to look for. Along with the product features, pros and cons, we hope you make the right choice.
Looking for other similar products that you can buy? Click here to learn more about other options that are available in the market right now.